IGNORED

Garmin StreetPilot 2610 Software

OlGeezer

O.K., I know it's old tech, but it works. However, I would like to upgrade the software. The map is out of date (I'm using City Navigator V6 I believe, but maybe it's V7. Regardless, I cannot load the software on my Win7 box. I've been to the Garmin site and it doesn't appear any of the software is compatible with the 2610.

Any suggestions?

I just went through the same process when I bought a 2730 from a guy with no software discs. I bought a 2011 map upgrade from an online retailer and had problems loading it on my PC. I talked to Garmin customer service 3-4 times over a 2 day period and they were extremly helpful each time. Call early in the morning seemed to shorten the wait times on the phone. I am not sure if your 2610 is NT map capatable which could mean you are out of luck getting a map upgrade,as it seems all of the new maps ar NT.

Hope this helps

The 2009 or 2009 non NT City navigator is the last upgrade you can make to your 2610.

Won't do NT or Numaps Lifetime.

JR356

I am not sure if your 2610 is NT map capatable which could mean you are out of luck getting a map upgrade,as it seems all of the new maps ar NT.

Hope this helps

What is NT?

The NT version has a different compression scheme for the map and waypoint data, allowing lots more data to be packed into the same memory space. JR356 above is correct, 2008 is the last update for the 2610, as all newer updates are in the NT format. The 2610 cannot use the NT format. Shame, as it has a huge capacity for data per an SD card. I have one too and would like to upgrade it but no dice.

DavidEBSmith

MapSource is the part that runs on the PC. It definitely will run on Windows 7.

Then you need to load the maps. The maps should be fairly indifferent to the operating system or version of MapSource. Right now on my computer I have MapSource 6.12.4 loaded, and in MapSource I have these maps loaded: City Navigator NT 2008 (for the 2720 and SP 510); City Navigator North America v 6 (for the 2610); US Road & Rec Continental US, Alaska and Hawaii (for the III+); and a third-party New England topographic map.

As several people have already pointed out, the 2610 does not take the NT maps, and Garmin is no longer updating the 2610-compatible maps. They may not even stock CDs of the older maps any more.

I think I found out what the problem is. The computer I'm trying to load Mapsource on is 64 bit. Hmmm...I think I still have a 32 laying around somewhere.

It should load ... the machine is 64bit but MOST apps are still 32 bit and will run in 64bit environments without any problems.

I solved the GArmin GPS problem with a Tom-Tom. I also found the old Street III makes a good back-up for sundry info like voltage, altitude and a rough overall map of where I is.

Most of America can be found with a Auto Club map in the top pocket of the tank bag.

I also was led to believe the maps for Garmins such as the BMW Navigator will only load to the unit that is registered. Threats of system failure were offered if not abiding to the guide lines.

Happy cookie trails

I solved the GArmin GPS problem with a Tom-Tom. I also found the old Street III makes a good back-up for sundry info like voltage, altitude and a rough overall map of where I is.

Most of America can be found with a Auto Club map in the top pocket of the tank bag.

I also was led to believe the maps for Garmins such as the BMW Navigator will only load to the unit that is registered. Threats of system failure were offered if not abiding to the guide lines.

Happy cookie trails

I use my fuel gage as a volt meter. Whenever it doesn't go all the way to the top, I know I need to clean that connector under the tank.

:/

It should load ... the machine is 64bit but MOST apps are still 32 bit and will run in 64bit environments without any problems.

I have a few apps that ran on my old 32 bit boxes but won't on my 64s. That being said, I still haven't tried loading ths software on my lone remaining 32 bit box, so I'm not absolutely sure that's the problem.

malcolmblalock

Mapsource runs fine on my 64bit Vista system. No problems so far.

Wish maps were available on the 2610. IMO, that is the best unit they have built; most flexibility and customization of all the units I've tried. But alas, maps are now getting dated...

Archived