IGNORED

Anyone tried this Migsel gps mount?

RussInParis

Hey there,

Proud owner of new (for us) silver 2008 R1200RT with all the options; starting the farkling process...

First step, mounting our Garmin 660.

On our R1150RT we had the Migsel mount for our Zumo 550 with the RAM ball. Worked ok, although a bit of vibration at idle.

I notice that Migsel now has a new mount for the R1200RT and was just wondering if anyone has tried it and could comment. Is it 65 euros better than the RAM mount version?

..also, will I need that BMW Part# 83300413585 to connect the 660 to the existing plug? I'm thinking yes, but haven't checked yet (just rode home with the new RT this afternoon)?

Thanks!

Russ

ps. Last bike had an autocom PRO7; we're still debating Starcom vs. Autocome. Comments welcome.

I hadn't seen the new Migsel mount you linked to, but I like it. One thing to note - its for the 2010 R1200RT. So it may NOT fit your 2008 RT.

I have the 'standard'/'old' Migsel mount for a GPS - an arm that mounts across the dash and has holes for 3 RAM balls. I've been using it on my 2008 RT for 2+ years and I'm very happy with it. I also have a Zumo 660 and this mount has worked very well for me.

BTW, I upgraded to a new Autocom Super Pro Automatic (2009 model) and it is GREAT. I have my 660 hooked in and I get my phone (Bluetoothed to the Zumo), my music, and my GPS with no issues. I even have bike-to-bike comm hooked in and that works perfectly. Can't be happier with the Autocom! Get it!!

Jim

The one you're looking at is for a '10. I tried a Migsel on my '07 RT and thought there was too much vibration. I only used it for about a month. If you want one send me a PM and we can work something out.

Doug

Oops. Good point. Wrong link. Correct one (to '09) is here.

re:vibration. We had a bit of vibration with the migsel mount on our R1150RT, and I was wondering if this new one was specifically designed to do better.

...although the level of vibration was not unacceptable with the old one, if the new one is way better, it'd be nice to know.

Did you find another mount that worked better than the Migsel?

The one you're looking at is for a '10. I tried a Migsel on my '07 RT and thought there was too much vibration. I only used it for about a month. If you want one send me a PM and we can work something out.

Doug

malcolmblalock

I had one of the Migsel mounts on my 05 RT. IMO, way too much vibration to suit me. Sold it and bought a BMR Products shelf and mount. VERY satisfied with the BMR. Good mount albeit pretty pricey.

Migsel's mount is beautiful, but did not suit me.

I have the Migsel on an '08 RT, wobbled like crazy so I have been chasing that down. The plastic cowl that the Migsel sits on flexes quite a lot.

If you remove that plastic cowl you will see that just below it sits a metal post that supports the back of the instrument panel. On this post I mounted some split down rad hose to support the cowl. This lessened the wobble some, but not a lot.

Liking the look and function of the Migsel made me think and look at the problem. So while pushing down on the GPS mount I saw that the cowl flexes downward towards the instrument cluster. The amount of movement was maybe 7/16", so I cut another piece of hose, this time 7/16" vacuum hose. Stuffed that 6" piece over the instrument panel and below the flexible cowl. Urethra! (hahaha joking on my use of tubes to fix this)

Took the bike out for a NY crappy road test ride, most of the major movement on the Migsel is gone, I say about 90% better. You can barely notice the vac hose.

When and if I can't tolerate the remaining 10% of the shake, I'm going to remove the cowl and spray the inside of it with some good dense foam. I'll use a hose on the can of foam.

Bob J

Archived