IGNORED

How do you secure your jacket to your bike?

FLrider

I will generally stuff it into the top case or side but sometimes, that's just not possible. So, I wind up schlepping it around.

Any suggestions on how one might secure the jacket to my RT while minimizing risks of scratching the paint?

I have the same issue with the helmet. I know there is a helmet holder under the seat but I think you need a cable of some sort to make use of it.

Other than the helmet itself, I've got a Scala mic and Cheetah viz alert attached to it. Those can be ripped off the helmet even with the helmet locked up. I just carry the helmet around with me.

I have a plastic coated cable lock wrapped around the base of my luggage rack on my 800ST. I leave it there all the time and when I need to leave my gear I can unzip the pants pocket and the jacket arm vent and run the cable through the openings and through the helmet and lock away. I may not leave it like this in an unattended parking structure all day but it works for running in and out of stores and restaurants. It helps to park the bike in view.

Other option is the side bags and trunk, if you remembered to leave them empty.

russell_bynum

I use handcuffs. Through the armpit vent on my roadcrafter with one cuff, and around the handlebars with the other. I can slip the D-ring of my helmet through one of the cuffs as well.

We use the cable method and Lid Locs when bags are packed with other gear.

PacSafe has locking exomesh covers for helmets, photo gear etc. if you want an option that covers helmet and secures your

Scala and other add ons.

I just lay my jacket across the seat and put my gloves in my helmet and set the helmet on top of my jacket. Never had a problem.

Same for me.

coated cables with matching locks so Susan and I have two of each for each bike. Either can start unlocking as needed. Usually through an arm, through part of the frame, and through the helmet chin bar. We do this for longer wanderings at parks and attractions. For short stops, wear the coat and use the helmet as a man purse/shopping cart.

Evening

That’s why I have insurance. I just toss the helmet over a mirror and drape the coat over the windshield. If someone wants my stinky helmet or sweaty coat they must need it more than I do. I kind of wish someone would take the helmet or coat as I could use a new replacement on my insurance’s dime.

I never worry about the jacket or helmet, so I too leave the helmet hanging from the right mirror (on the GS) or right handgrip (on the GT). I drape the jacket over the seat. I do lock up my GPS though. No problem with theft so far in 49 states.

I added 2 bungee buddies to the underside of my top case. The one on the left is great for a fast and safe place to hang your helmet without worry of it falling and bouncing down the parking lot.

For more safety, I keep a long shank padlock in the rear case. It is no problem hook it through the D-rings and through the bungee buddy on the right.

standard.jpg

I'm of course, interested in the solutions and I've seen some good ones. What's more interesting to me is the rational behind the action. ...and I'm paraphrasing here...

Relative Perceived Value - I'll lock up the gps but not the jacket.

Blanket Trust - I just lay it on the seat, handle bars etc..

Risk Averse - I use coated cable, handcuffs, sleeve in trunk, etc.,

I guess a lot of it has to do with where you live, where you happen to be, your faith in human nature and indifference towards loss.

For me, it's not so much that I could not afford to replace the item, it's just that I hate the idea that I worked hard to earn the money to buy the item and someone with no sense of personal pride or accomplishment just steals it. That just bugs me.

Interestingly enough, I too, have left my leather jacket on my bike for an extended period and have never had one stolen. But, usually it was at some motorcycle event and I would like to think there is an unwritten code of conduct amongst motorcyclists.

Anyway, I like the coated cable lock idea for the jacket and I really like Tim's bag idea although I think it would actually attract the eye of a thief.

Coated Cable it is. Now, anyone have any specific experience or suggestions with brands? lengths? keyed/combination?

I just lay my jacket across the seat and put my gloves in my helmet and set the helmet on top of my jacket. Never had a problem.

Same for me.

Yep, and I don't know how many bike weeks/biketoberfests etc I have been to like that.

Relax.

Ride.

I have one of these. Kryptonite Ski Lock

Inexpensive and easy to carry around. No key to lose but you do have to remember a combination. Cable through the sleeve and through the helmet face/chinbar (no D rings on my Nolan N102). You can probably get one of these at any ski shop. Plus, in the winter it doubles as a ski lock!

I must have been typing as Effbee was posting!

You can get the retractable combi locks about 3" high and 30" cable, from travel stores or catalogs. I assume like a Kypto. I have used them for years. my wife has one and I have one. Lock thru sleeve and helmet, tankbag all thru the handlebar clamps. Never a problem anywhere in the world.

Allen.

Abus cable locks are excellent.

This is the one I use.

Almost 6' long, coils, will secure both of our jackets and pants to the bike.

Pick proof lock.

Doubles as a through the bike cover (if I'm using it) through the front wheel/disc brakes anti-theft or one wheel lock when on a trailer (I lock both wheels to the trailer).

I've used it for 7 years, no issues.

Most people are honest, but to deter the few that aren't 1286728925.jpg this goes a long way.

I added 2 bungee buddies to the underside of my top case. The one on the left is great for a fast and safe place to hang your helmet without worry of it falling and bouncing down the parking lot.

For more safety, I keep a long shank padlock in the rear case. It is no problem hook it through the D-rings and through the bungee buddy on the right.

standard.jpg

I have a set of helmet locks mounted in the same spot!

I'm of course, interested in the solutions and I've seen some good ones. What's more interesting to me is the rational behind the action. ...and I'm paraphrasing here...

Relative Perceived Value - I'll lock up the gps but not the jacket.

Blanket Trust - I just lay it on the seat, handle bars etc..

Risk Averse - I use coated cable, handcuffs, sleeve in trunk, etc.,

I guess a lot of it has to do with where you live, where you happen to be, your faith in human nature and indifference towards loss.

For me, it's not so much that I could not afford to replace the item, it's just that I hate the idea that I worked hard to earn the money to buy the item and someone with no sense of personal pride or accomplishment just steals it. That just bugs me.

Interestingly enough, I too, have left my leather jacket on my bike for an extended period and have never had one stolen. But, usually it was at some motorcycle event and I would like to think there is an unwritten code of conduct amongst motorcyclists.

Anyway, I like the coated cable lock idea for the jacket and I really like Tim's bag idea although I think it would actually attract the eye of a thief.

Coated Cable it is. Now, anyone have any specific experience or suggestions with brands? lengths? keyed/combination?

While my helmet may never get swiped, I always try to keep in mind what I would do if it was. The prospect of not having one in the middle nowhere makes me a little more cautious.

Any suggestions on how one might secure the jacket to my RT while minimizing risks of scratching the paint?

I put my arms through the sleeves. When I come back out, I know it'll be there. Zero chance of theft or scratched paint. :grin:

. . .

. . .

On the first long trip I ever made on a motorcycle, I rode with a bunch of people to cycle races in Delaware. Sitting in the bleachers a fight broke out behind me. I grabbed my helmet but left my new leather jacket on my chair as I stood up. My attention then went back to the track for a couple of minutes. I turned around to put my helmet back down and, poof, the jacket had disappeared. So much for an unwritten code of conduct. . .

Mine goes in one of the side panniers of the RT. Never had any trouble getting the helmet and gloves in one pannier, jacket and other gear in the other. That along with rain gear, extra pair of gloves, and a quart of oil. If I have more to carry, I'll bring the top case along.

Once years ago a thief stole two helmets that were attached to the helmet lock of my bike. He cut the straps right off, left the D rings hanging on the lock.

I usually put the jacket in the top case, but if it's full, I pull out the 3 foot length of chain and padlock I purchased at Lowes. Not a HEAVY chain, but small enough to fit the full length in the palm of my hand. Chain and lock easily fits in the fairing compartment. Just run the chain through the sleeves of the jacket and through the grab handles of the seat. All done.

I throw mine over the handlebars to cover up my Zumo...unless I'm parked in the Bronx then I leave the jacket parked on my back, and my bike where I can see it :-).

Jim

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
Mine goes in one of the side panniers of the RT. Never had any trouble getting the helmet and gloves in one pannier, jacket and other gear in the other. That along with rain gear, extra pair of gloves, and a quart of oil. If I have more to carry, I'll bring the top case along.

I do the same.

....I turned around to put my helmet back down and, poof, the jacket had disappeared. So much for an unwritten code of conduct. . .

Yep. Motorcyclists are just another "sub-group" of people. Most are honest, some are not. Its like wearing ATGATT. Hopefully you won't need it. But...... :P

I do the same.

Yes, but when you are travelling, the panniers sre already full.

I have one of these and I'm pretty happy with it. The cable coils around the unit and it's very compact. You don't need the key to lock it, only unlock it. The cable could be longer, but it's so compact and handy that it's always in my tank bag. Easily fits though my helmet and jacket sleeve for a quick lockup. It wouldn't stop a determined thief, but no lock will. I'm just trying to stop the "snatch and grab" type incidents. The second link shows it coiled up.

Kryptonite Kryptogrip

http://www.classiccruiser.com/product.asp?item=329532

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Kryptonite-Kryptogrip-Lock-Tough-Lock-Look-/200530712774

Since I don't use the cable lock often enough to remember the combination, I have it written on a key ring kept with the cable lock. When I use the lock, I take the key ring with me. Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I also have the combo written inside the door of the glove box on the RT, the bike that I'm most likely to be riding if I'm locking stuff up. dirtrider: If your deductible is so low that you would get coverage for a helmet, you are paying too much for your insurance..

Archived