IGNORED

Which heated gloves to get?

Willie

Been wanting to do this for the last few years and haven't, but am looking at heated gloves again. Heated grips just don't do it for me and my KLR doesn't even have that. Kinda looking at doing this on a limited budget and would like ones that will plug into a SAE plug since I have the pigtail on my KLR already and have a SAE to BMW plug adapter for the RT. Anyone have any suggestions? Any of the come with the heat trollers or are they all separate? Thanks for the help.

I tried the older style Gerbings heated gloves and although warm, they were way too bulky. I now use the Gerbings heated "liners" and wear rain gloves over the liners and they are much less bulky and very warm. I plug them into my Gerbings jacket liner with a bike mounted controller. Works well in very cold weather. It has to get into the 20s before I need the heated gloves so I don't use them too ofter.

Gerbings makes some interesting battery powered and hybrid powered gloves, but slightly more pricey. I found some Tourmaster Synergy gloves FOR $152 SHIPPED. seems like a good deal as no one has my size anywhere else. They have the wiring and temp controllers included. Anyone have any experience with them?

Willie-

See http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnheatedgear.pdf for my glove test published in MCN. The lab data (including Tourmaster) can be seen in this unedited nonpublished version of the same, here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnheatedgearraw.pdf

-MKL

Thanks for the info. Now, while the Tour Master gloves weren't the warmest of the gloves tested, were they adequate enough to keep your hands warm?

Adequate. One wouldn't complain too much, unless one were testing the others back to back, in which case they are subpar. The integrated temp module is nice, though!

-MKL

Go with Gerbings, they've got a REAL lifetime warrantee.

Got my gloves in '03 and used them every winter since. A week ago the left glove finally failed. Sent them back to the factory for repair last Monday and by Saturday I rec'd a brand new pair of G3s!!

I just bought a set of the Gerbing Nubuck gloves. I found the other ones too bulky, so if I hit really cold and/or wet weather, I'll throw my Aerostich Triple Digit Rain Covers over them and I should be good for just about anything down the 32 F, below which I won't ride.

Around here I wear the G-3, add triple digits overglove for colder/wet, and throw on a pair of silk glove liners when it gets to low 20's or teens.

If weather is staying like that, I leave the Triple Digits on over the Gerbings which makes donning them simpler.

Gerbings are good. I have a well worn pair of Widders and recently got a new pair of Widders on close out at my tire guys shop.

I changed the plug to fit the Gerbing dual controller. Absolutely wonderful when it gets cold.

Just about anybody's heated gloves would be good when it's cold but Gerbing seems to have the best in the market currently.

What others have suggested about an outer cover is true, I've got a nylon mitten style cover that breaks the wind and increases the effectiveness of the gloves.

Layering, you know! You can get huge rubber over gloves that will make you quite waterproof and even more warmer.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I have the First Gear jacket and gloves and I am very pleased with the set. Good quality, nice and toasty. Soory to say, these are definitely not cheapp, and the controller is a separate item.

I will say, this is the best money I have ever spent for the enjoyment of cool weather riding.

"when it gets to low 20's or teens"

In Florida? Since when do you post in centigrade? :grin:

Careful, our age is showing if you use centigrade rather than Celsius.

:P

I do that with my mph all the time, multiply by 9 divide by 5 add 32 and I figure that compensates for speedometer error.

:dopeslap:

"when it gets to low 20's or teens"

In Florida? Since when do you post in centigrade? :grin:

we are still waiting for our global warming to kick in

"Careful, our age is showing if you use centigrade rather than Celsius"

Must be my Spanish carrying over. There it is still "centigrado".

Now mixing temperature with miles may get you some funny numbers.

I shure managed to hijack this thread. Sorry!

I'll add my endorsement of the First Gear ones.

First Gear Heated Gloves

And I'd be wary of the Gerbing battery ones. I had one of their battery powered vests. Worked fine the first year. The second year the battery ran down in less than an hour. And I'd kept it charged all summer. $70 to replace the battery so I just chucked the whole thing.

Rock-

First Gear gloves are made by Warm 'n Safe - same thing. Re batteries, keeping them charged all summer was part of the problem. It's best to think of batteries as a muscle - exercise them, or they atrophe. Yes, they will self discharge in the summer if you leave them unplugged. So a discharge cycle every 2-3 months or so followed by full charge will keep those batteries good for many, many years. Didn't Gerbing's have battery instructions with your gloves?

Re Gerbing's gloves there's nothing to be weary of. They are among the best on the market, and in fact were my 1st place pick vs. many other brands. I would suggest EXO2 gloves as equal (for slightly more money, though they clearly offer more protection than Gerbing's). Both are head and shoulders above the others I tried.

-MKL

Dunno about Gerbings, etc, but I can attest that the Warm n Safe/First Gear ULTIMATE gloves are waterproof...day after day. I never actually "feel" heat in the gloves like I do in the Warm n Safe jacket, but my hands don't get cold (I use a single controller for both the jacket and gloves, which may be why they don't "feel" warm). I like the fact that there are no pesky wires in the palms. I do have heated grips, but I can tell the difference when I turn the gloves on. 30s in the rain (lowest I've seen), no problem, down to 14 (lowest I've seen) without rain, no problem. At my, uh, normal riding speeds

Cycle Gear carries the First Gear version of Warm n Safe stuff. If you can wait until January (I think it was January), they'll be on sale. I have the Warm n Safe jacket, bought direct, later bought the First Gear gloves on sale as described from the local Cycle Gear store.

Archived