IGNORED

Helmet Age - Do I really have to replace after 5 yrs?

ryan_a1982

So I have a 5 yr old Schuberth S1 Helmet that says to be replaced after 5 years. It is in great condition and seems structurally sound. What do you guys think? Do I need a new one? They are damn expensive.

I was given this helmet by the previous owner of the RT I just bought. It looked brand new! No scratches or anything. By the way he treated his bikes I am sure the helmet was treated well - He wore this helmet when he sold me the bike.

He even gave me a Arai that is 8 years old and mentioned that it probably shouldn't be used anymore since it is 8. That helmet looks perfect also. The benefit of getting the helmets was to take the J&M coms system out of them.

I have been spoiled by the Schuberth, it feels so much better than my Shoei Hornet DS helmet. But the DS is now only for my dualsport bike, so that works well.

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan

Survived-til-now

Two problems here:

You don't know the history of the helmet and they can suffer damage from knocks etc that you cannot see just by looking....

They deteriorate in UV light. 5 years in a sunny climate and daily use, long distance, is going to do more invisible damage than low use in a not so sunny climate.....

I tend to change my helmets about every 4 years or so anyway and keep the previous one for occasional pillion use and as a spare.

If you don't want to take the official manufacturer advice I guess the only guide you have is the outward appearance, the mileage of your bike over the last 5 years - and then its up to you.

Personally speaking; as with climbing ropes, if I don't know the history I don't use them.

Given the fact that I see numerous riders everyday with any helmet on, it's really a personal choice. I just ordered a new one to replace my 6yr old helmet that is getting leaky and noisy, but my prior helmet was probably 8 years old before being replaced. BUT, I knew everything that had happened with these. Like the previous post, you don't know what kind of treatment the helmet got. In your situation I'd pull the trigger on a new. If it were me that is.

As far as the little I know, like a lot of things, big damage is big visible. I use the coconut test: rap on it with your knuckles and listen. Whatever the deterioration with time, gotta be slow and proportional.

I'd say the inside soft foam is the part most susceptible to losing its vitality with time and use, rather than the shell.

Easy for, hyper-conscientious, CYA, and/or greedy manufacturers to be creative about stale dates. Any evidence?

Ben

I'm on my 2nd helmet in 11 years. First one (a basic HJC) I used for about ~8 years. The first 5 years or so I was only riding 1-3k miles a year when I had my sports bikes, but the last 3 years I had the RT and put 30-40k miles on it. It obviously needed to be replaced. The padding was shot, had a stink that I couldn't wash out, didn't fit right anymore, and was extremely heavy compared to newer helmets. I have been wearing my current helmet (an Icon Domain) for about 3 years and another 30-40k miles. I'm not ready to replace it quite yet, but I have been looking.

I don't have a set time frame for replacement. There is no way I would replace a ~$500 helmet every 3-5 years just because "they" say you should, but at 5 years old the technology and features change so much that it might warrant looking for a replacement. The biggest difference between my HJC and Icon is the weight and airflow. My first summertime ride with the new helmet made me wish I would have replaced it years earlier (regardless of the cost). My next helmet will have to be compatable with the pinlock anti-fog visors, and I would also like to look into some of the helmets that have the built in snap down sun glasses.

If you are happy with your helmet, then I would keep it for awhile longer. If it was me........I would start shopping, try on everything you can get your head in, figure out what you want and what size fits. Then keep an eye out on newenough.com, motorcyclecloseouts.com, or Ebay and wait till the end of season close outs when then new helmets are coming in. That way you can get a deal on whatever you decide to get. I think I saved almost $200 off of my Icon when I bought it because I waited for the right deal.

I also keep my helmets for >5 years, I probably average 7-8 years. I know what abuse it has taken and the overall condition. I also don't buy that the hard foam interior breaks down that quickly.

Like Keith mentioned, you'll pretty much know when it needs to be replaced. The lining, vents, and shield mechanisms get wonky and if that doesn't do it, it eventually will take on that "replace me NOW" odor.

Good point about the wonky mechanisms Vinny. That was another tell tale sign that my HJC needed to be replaced. The visor no longer stayed where I wanted it to and no longer stayed sealed tight when closed. I could have bought the repair parts to fix it, but after that much use it was screaming to be replaced.

OK you two, so you wait until your tire is throwing off cord to replace them?

Just kidding, sort of.

My point, if there is visible wonkiness, then most assuredly there was nonvisible interior wonkiness beneath the surface before that.

Wonkiness on the surface can be seen, but the interior degradation would not be noticed until you needed the impact dispersion the interior is there for.

Glue/foam/integrity all are subject to degrading over time.

This from Snell certainly not a greedy, CYA, helmet manufacturer.

MPN: There have been various theories over the years that motorcyclists should purchase new helmets every three years or so. Has that been a marketing ploy, or do the materials used in motorcycle helmet construction fatigue over a period of time?

Brown: I think "fatigue" is probably the wrong word to use. What happens is that many manufacturers use glues to put the liner into the shell. We've seen cases where the glues would degrade the liner. We've also seen liners degrade from perspiration and hair oils, and they become compacted through normal use. Snell finally looked at this and said there's no way we can tell an individual how long his or her helmet will be good because the user is the only one who knows how a helmet has been treated. But as a general policy, because of normal degradation and improvements in the helmet, Snell recommends that helmets be replaced every five years.

This article on the brain, head injury, helmets, helmet certification, dissenting opinions, governmental rules etc.

is a fairly well balanced look at helmets and testing in general.

For me, and I've had a TBI, the helmet and its integrity are paramount in my pantheon of ATGATT.

When you need one, it had dang well be able to function as designed.

Best wishes.

OK you two, so you wait until your tire is throwing off cord to replace them?

Tim......you've known me long enough not to ask goofy questions like that :rofl:

MAYhem_07-221_Print.jpg

the degredation of the glues and sweat, salts in sweat, hair gels,etc...are a part of it for sure.

for me a few things that make me replace my helmets, street-dirt-or otherwise, is that the inner styro foam DOES break down with NO visible outward signs...

next time you buy a stereo,tv etc...put the styrofoam packing in your oven at the lowest temp setting and watch what happens...it begins to break down the smaller thinner connectin tissue between the round pellets of polystyreen that make the foam, it will hold its shape for a while, but will shortly just start to fully melt.

I realize that the oven is way hotter than the sun on your head but, your 98.6 degree head + the sun beating on it will get that helmet quit hot. That is why we all try to buy helmets that vent well. Eventually the styrofoam liner DOES degrade....

If you actually care about your head protection, every 5 years is cheap insurance. If you wear a helmet to meet your state law, keep on wearing it.

If you look at the weight benefits of newer helmets, venting, bluetooth, antifog, locking shield, flip down sun shields, etc...a new helmet every 5 years is worth it.

Put 2 bucks a week in a bank account and buy a helmet every five years...buy i smaller latte a week and you get a new bucket paid for cash

There are three primary protective systems in your helmet: The shell, which prevents penetration and protects the styrofoam and helps to spread the impact forces. The styrofoam, which absorbs the impact. The liner which ensures proper fit and comfort.

As was mentioned, the shells deteriorate with exposure to UV light when riding. Also, possibly, exposure to ozone and cleaning chemicals (I don't use them). Additionally the shell is exposed to physical stress each time the helmet is donned or doffed.

Additionally, I have read that minor bumps can create micro-cracks that are not visible on inspection.

So it is clear that the shell may deteriorate with use. Obviously "use" is highly varied amongst different riders in different regions.

The styrofoam does not deteriorate with time, e.g. the styrofoam is chemically stable over reasonable time frames. However, any impacts to the helmet with a rider wearing it may compress the foam and may not be apparent on inspection. The glues that hold the styrofoam in place can deteriorate. Exposure to heat or chemicals may damage it. Particularly, of course, it dissolves like crazy in exposure to gasoline and some other solvents.

The comfort liners in most helmets compress over time and use, resulting in a looser fit. You need a good snug fit for the helmet to work properly.

The general rule of thumb is 5 years, but I have never gone over 3 years myself. Likely because I've ridden fairly high miles and my helmets have obviously deteriorated. I have replaced parts now and again, and I suppose the comfort liner could be replaced. But also my uses and preferences have changed over time, so I've always been willing to get a new one by 3 years.

Good luck on your decision.

Jan,

Add in temperature variations and extremes and humidity.

I know that theoretically styrofaom doesn't biodegrade rapidlu, but, the foam liner in my older helmets has broken down becoming crumbly ( :P ), it doesn't disintegrate, but does lose structural integrity.

Like tires ( Hi Keith) it is a personal choice, but there seems to be a lot of weight on the side of conservative use and time line.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to get a new one soon. The helmet was in perfect visual condition. I actually put the first scratch on the visor. My guess is that it was use for about 3k miles the last 3 years because that is what the bike had on it when I got it. I like the climbing rope analogy. I feel the same way.

The only reason why I am using the helmet is due to the condition and the fact that he said he wouldn't use the old arai he gave me and that the Schuberth is just fine. I think I'll give it through the winter.

-Ryan.

An old POS Shuberth that has seen more of the inside of a garage or a clean closet would probably be fine. Helmets like some of ours that see hour upon hour of sun and heat and cold and wet and then sit on the bike while we rally for days probably are more likely suspects for earlier replacement.

I had my original helmet, an Italian Biffi, sit on a book case and slowly disintegrate as the years passed. The insides slowly just fell out.

A well worn helmet will probably get loose due to head insertion before the foam goes south. Three years is about the max I get riding a lot.

Hey Ryan first to answer question No you don't.....but as has been stated before uv light , heat ,sweat etc do cause a breakdown of helment. Here is my thoughts 300-600 dollars is cheap insurance when needed{crosses finger nobody will need it} and with advances in protection its worth changeing ...Enjoy the ride Bill

In a similar vein, I have just replaced the 8-year knee and elbow old armor in my BMW Streetguard suit, after removing it prior to a wash.

I could hardly believe just how much harder and more brittle the old armor was than its replacement.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone tried the new Shoei Qwest? It seems to get good reviews and cycle gear has them for undeer $300. I may miss the in helmet sunshade like the Schuberth, but the Shoei price is right.

Here is a link: Shoei

Anybody put a intercom system in them?

-Ryan

If $300 is your price point, I would recommend the Scorpion EXO 900 Transformer.

Sunshade, fog free, visor is almost unbreakable, you can bend it and it retains shape.

There are others but this one was recommended in MCN's recent helmet comparison.

Best wishes.

Archived