IGNORED

Can you EAR me now?

FLrider

Well, ran up to Daytona for Biketoberfest. Got my fill of eye candy and then stopped over at a vendor booth called Big Ear.

He makes custom ear plugs, on the spot. Even molds speakers into them so you can listen to your ipod or whatever.

Anyway, I do wear ear plugs now (shoulda done it years ago while I still had good hearing), but, the soft foam or wax type plugs you buy at the store never seem to fit right. Plus, they would stick out just enough to become dislodged when I put my helmet on.

These custom fit plugs cost $40, took about 45 minutes and I must say, they fit perfectly and were much more quieter than the foam plugs.

If you've been thinking about getting custom ear plugs, I give it a +1.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

On foam plugs, they have to be inside your ear canal to work. About 50% of the plug on the average persone. Almost so that you need a fingernail to get them out. However, some people just can't get them to work.

Ear plugs of any kind are illegal in california and i know guys that have gotten tickets for ear phones {like I-pods} and 1 that even got a ticket for just the foam ear plugs like you get on a construction job site....

Check your state regs before you use ear plugs...

Im not saying they are bad....just saying check on legality with your local LEOs for info or at least know and ACCEPT that you may get ticketed...all of this said, i live in so cal. and i ride with an i-pod...i accept that i may get popped for it...

MCN recently published a comparison of a wide range of ear plugs and concluded that the cheap disposables, Hearos in particular, are better by far than the expensive custom-made ones.

I've worn ear plugs in California for years, as do most of the people I ride with. They are not illegal, but you must be able to hear emergency vehicles. Here is the relevant section of the vehicle code: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm (See item 'd' in particular)

I did get a pair made at the last MOA Rally.

They were too quiet, couldn't hear a thing.

They drilled them and inserted a filter...

Now I cannot ride without them.....they increased my daily range by 100 miles.

(somehow I don't get tired as fast with the plugs in)

CoarsegoldKid
Ear plugs of any kind are illegal in california

A CHP watched me unplug my AZ AL custom sound plugs a time or two. I couldn't hear him talking but I heard his emergency sounds before pulling over. Never got written for them. If it makes his day to write me for ear plugs, glad I could help.

On foam plugs, they have to be inside your ear canal to work. About 50% of the plug on the average persone. Almost so that you need a fingernail to get them out. However, some people just can't get them to work.

Yeah, I think you are right on the money with that observation. It seems like no matter how I pulled, tugged, pushed, crammed those foam ones in, I just couldn't get them in right.

Because these are molded, the can only go in one way. You turn in upside down, insert and turn counter clockwise. They just "snap" in.

Regarding the sound, I think he said they are designed to either allow up to or prevent anything in excess of 30db. Can't remember.

All I know is I barely hear the wind anymore but can still hear my intercom.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Ear plugs of any kind are illegal in california and i know guys that have gotten tickets for ear phones {like I-pods} and 1 that even got a ticket for just the foam ear plugs like you get on a construction job site....

Check your state regs before you use ear plugs...

Im not saying they are bad....just saying check on legality with your local LEOs for info or at least know and ACCEPT that you may get ticketed...all of this said, i live in so cal. and i ride with an i-pod...i accept that i may get popped for it...

Ear plugs are not illegal in CA. There are restrictions, yes.

Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

© A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

Amended Sec. 45, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

The question remains whether a foam-type ear plug would inhibit the ability to hear a siren or horn. Since most of them attenuate the broad spectrum of frequencies somewhat equally, I'd say no, they don't inhibit.

However, if you're listening to music, then yes.

I have 3 sets of 'custom' ear plugs sitting on my helmet shelf in the shop...I sometimes wear them when working in the yard, but never on the bike anymore...not since I got these:

http://www.etymotic.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cps&utm_term=in-ear%2Bearphones&utm_content=inear&utm_campaign=inear&gclid=CLuV5MSZ26QCFdvY5wodmVGyJQ

They are absolutely the best earplugs I have ever used, ( no affiliation...), and the sound from my Zumo XM radio is outstanding. I have worn out one pair after 3 seasons, and happy to pay the $80.00 for new ones!

Jim

Some of the Etymotic models are quite hifi and are used in acoustic research.

A lot depends on personal ear shape and preference with ear plugs. Maybe also how much your ears sweat.

The foam do block better. Too much for my taste. I find my custom molded plugs cut the noise just enough.

Ben

I've been using some of the "Big Ear" custom earplugs for the past 4 years and I'm very happy with them.

When I want music, I use these: http://earfuze.com/

They have roughly the same noise reduction and the added benefit of music.

Picked up a pair end of last week with great expectations...guess my expectations were too high...not overly impressed...not nearly as quiet as my cheapie foam plugs and the frequency response is poor. Suppose there really are limitations as to what can be realized in the environment.

Custom plugs are made from silicone (typically) and are much denser than foam plugs. IF (a bit if) foam plugs are inserted properly, they typically have a better NRR than custom plugs. This is simply because sound is more effectively transmitted through denser material. That said, any plug is better than no plug.

Archived