IGNORED

If I were to buy an urban sport bike...[Opinion Poll]

FLrider

Linz – That’s correct. Won’t be leaving the city. Since I won’t be going on any long trips, not too concerned about weight on wrists.

The Speed Triple seems to be a popular choice.

Surprised you're thinking of a streetfighter. I test rode the Speed Triple a few months back. My hands and wrists were sore in under 5 minutes. I know I'm a bit taller (6'5") than you, but still.....

A sweet sounding engine, though.

russell_bynum

Linz – That’s correct. Won’t be leaving the city. Since I won’t be going on any long trips, not too concerned about weight on wrists.

Surprised you're thinking of a streetfighter. I test rode the Speed Triple a few months back. My hands and wrists were sore in under 5 minutes. I know I'm a bit taller (6'5") than you, but still.....

Really?

The more upright riding position was what drew me (6'4") to a Streetfighter. I wanted a liter-class sportbike that I could ride for more than 20 minutes at a time. I've done an 800-mile day on my Tuono...no problem at all. The S3 has a very similar riding position.

I suppose it could depend on how you're built, but my only comfort complaints with a streetfighter is the increased exposure when it gets cold and/or wet, and the wind pressure at speed 90+. An hour of that and my head feels like its going to fall off my neck.

ShovelStrokeEd

I just recently switched the bars on my Tuono to those from a Ducati Streetfighter. Lower, flatter, more narrow. I actually rotated the bars a little forward to get the grip angle I wanted. Made a world of difference. High speeds now are comfy as I am leaned a bit further into the wind and my helmet winds up in a quiet pocket of air. Don't really notice any wind pressure till I'm in excess of 120 or so and then I have room to tuck in a bit. The mod made Master Yoda a lot easier to achieve.

I also did a couple of mods to the suspension and steering to adjust for my new 150# weight. Lowered the triples to the 3rd line flush, backed off the preload front and rear to get a better ride quality and adjusted compression and rebound front and rear. That, and a new set of Pilot Powers with a 180/55 on the back and handling is even closer to perfection than it already was.

This is one place where the Tuono has it all over the S3, the suspension department.

I belong to the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists in the UK - rather like your MSF. I ride to their club nights and the famous Ace Cafe (and also commute) on my "around town" machine, a Honda SH300 scooter.

All my around-town work is done in 30,40 & 50 mph limits and I love having an automatic-transmission machine with ABS that weighs 380lbs wet. Since it will cruise at 65mph all day, I can happily do a 60-mile round trip commute when necessary.

I also find that hurrying a small machine along is a great deal more involving than riding a much faster machine at 15% of its capability.

Can't you just pull the bags off your RT and ride it downtown?

I ride my RT in urban environs even with bags on it and it is thoroughly capable although not as much fun as th Strom or DRZ.

Are you afraid the urban dwellers will dis your RT or something?

A little birdie just told me that the BMW F series (800 and 650) motors are NOT made by BMW but instead, by some other company who makes them for BMW.

True That?

They are manufactured by Rotax. Although, the single cylinder G650 motor that is a BMW/Rotax design is now made in China. Not sure if the twins are going that route in the future.

Pat

I agree. But the STREET Triple has a more upright position.

Going to go test ride one sometime this week. :P

I could be in trouble.

And..while I certainly could just take the bags off the RT and ride it, there's just something about a 350lb bike with 100hp that's somewhat....alluring.

Something about the Ducati 696 shifter and rear brake position that just didn't feel right. Might have to go check it out again.

Archived