IGNORED

Survey- Bead seat or Sheepskin cover?

TrickLidz

I think you'll find that every butt is different. Beads help more with preventing heat build up; sheepskin is more comfortable. So between those two choices, I'd say beads in very hot weather, sheep otherwise.

I've used all three. Don't like the beads at all. Like the mutton but found that it wasn't enough to overcome the crappy seat on the R1200R I got in July. Now have an Airhawk and love it. It will get me by until I can buy a replacement seat (daughter #1 is planning a May wedding; daughter #2 goes to private college and is studying in France right now, so there's not a whole lot of seat money in the budget).

RockBottom sums it up pretty well. Although, I didn't like the AirHawk either. I am still using the sheep skin, hot and cold, but I would still like a bit more padding. I hated the beads however, my son has a set on his GSA and loves em. "Every butt is different" ;)

I used a sheep skin on my GSA and loved it. It worked very well in both hot and cold weather. Only issue I had is that my "black" sheepskin faded badly on my BMW ligt brown pants. They are still "dark gray" on the butt. I washed the sheepskin and then put it on the bike and it dried in a conformal manner so fit the seat very well.

In my case, Sheepskin.

However, I have both a sheepskin gel pad and a bead seat for an '06 RT that are for sale.

PM me if interested.

Sheepskins $20 from Ikea. Just throw it over the saddle and drive away.

If NASA invented sheepskin, they'd call it a "space age miracle."

Ben

my $.02: The beads do a nice job of allowing some air to flow and remove the sweat underneath you. No more monkey butt. That's the main argument for beads (IMHO). You can also wiggle your ass and get a bit of a massage with the beads. The main reason I haven't tried a sheepskin, is because rain will turn it into a big soggy mess. I live in Seattle, so rain is a given.

But if it's not comfy for you, none of that matters.

I will add that I've got a Rich's custom seat, and I can attest that my ass had ZERO complaints after 6000 miles. Now that's money well spent.

The main reason I haven't tried a sheepskin, is because rain will turn it into a big soggy mess.

It's really easy to just wring one out.

I use sheepskin, warm and comfortable.

I am also in the UK, so rain is a given here as well. Whilst it may get a little soggy at times, it dries quickly and easily and is as good as new afterwards...

I do Iron Butt's on it and never a problem yet on the days (and nights) out....

Here in the humid South, I prefer beads.

The RT has heated seats, which btw, is barely

felt while sitting on the beads. So if it were

really freezing, I'd have to remove them.

Just to be contrary, you left out the Air Hawk from contention.

It does the job of pressure points like the beads and keeps water from pooling during rain. And you can put a Sheepskin over it for the winter warmth. Sheepskins really aren't that thick to be a problem.

For me anything more than a sheepskin means it would be even harder that it already is to touch the ground. Tried beads on a Triumph, well 10,000 cabbies may not be wrong but I'm not a cabbie and I can't do the beads (was still painful after a bit). The sheepskin sort of quietly does a good job by allowing you to move around the seat a bit easier.

Beads on long days in the saddle. Otherwise, its just the after market saddle. i will not identify the brand of my after market saddle in order to avoid debate over saddle comfort.

FWIW: At the end of the day, Every a$$ is different... some people just love their stock saddles.

Beads for me. I didn't like the airhawk. The sheepskin served me well but the beads won me over. Superior air flow in hot weather makes a big difference. Another benefit with the beads is in the rain, they keep the water from pooling under your ass. When I first tried the beads, I did't like the way my butt slid around, but I got used to it and don't notice it anymore.

Archived