IGNORED

2011 RT Mirrors

dwfindley

I am trading in my 2008RT for a 2011 RT. Some of my accessories require different mounting brackets, the engine guard if different etc but to my horror had to be the mirrors. On the RT model prior to the 2010 change there were nicely milled holes in the brake/clutch to install RS stand up mirrors. Ahhhhh. Not so the 2011 model. I absolutely hate those dash board mirrors but the bike is gorgeous and will not deter my taking ownership.

So the big question is, of those with like mind regarding mirrors, is there an alternative similar to the RS solution????

Maybe this solution would work

DSC_5786.jpg

More information here Link :Cool:

Roy

+1 on this set up! I have this on my RT and works well! They do vibrate a bit but they work with any windshield without hitting at full lock and they are reasonably priced! There was also a step by step mounting write up posted that I followed and worked perfectly.

Does anyone know if this set-up would work on my '97 r1100rt?

I believe it should work as I am pretty sure the bar ends are the same on the older RT and the 1200's. But I would compare them to be 100% sure.

Will that set up interfere with a throttlemeister?

Does anyone know the answer to this? Also, where can I get a set of these mirrors for an '04 RT?

Will that set up interfere with a throttlemeister?

Does anyone know the answer to this? Also, where can I get a set of these mirrors for an '04 RT?

Checked where I got mine and they are backordered as they were at a few other places I checked. But looks like they are in stock here.

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/speedmotoco/the-297/Mirror-BLACK-BAR-END/Detail

and here at a few bucks less.

http://www.speedsupplies.com/accessorylistingdetailpurch.asp?item=72815

Kenn45

What is the RS Mounting Ring. I'll have to get a direct view at the showroom, if they have one there. Where would the it go on the new RT. Sorry, the term threw me a bit. I am taking delivery of the 2011 tomorrow and felt the RS mirrors would not transfer over. Thanks.

My dealer says the mounting ring from the GS will fit the new RT and will then hold the RS or GS mirrors.

Yes, but use the (now defunct) R1200ST one instead. The GS one has the protrusion for the hand guards to bolt to, the ST one does not. (Unless you are planning on putting hand guards on your RT of course!)

Well here is another pricy option. I bet there are modifications to the handlebars.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/r1200rt-10on-barmount-mirror-p-2514.html?osCs

WOW .... very nice! I always prefer the purpose built option. May cost a bit more but usually fits and works better than a "made to fit' solution. Only concern is I bet they would hit an after market shield. But look slick!

What a shame that we spend +25k on a state of the art bike then have to add mirrors because the original ones fall so short.

I have add-ons on my RT and wouldn't be without them. Maybe no one from BMW actually rides one so they don't get it.

I agree, they don't want to understand because they think they know what is best for the riding public.

It would seem that they could make a bunch of money helping their riders outfit their motorcycles like the bicycle manufacturers do. You walk into a bicycle shop and there are a whole lot of options to get you comfortable and to make the bicycle fit you.

What is it everyone seems to dislike about the RT's OEM mirrors? I agree that when I first got my '07 RT it took a little getting used to but after a 1000 miles or so I became used to them and they work well. And they don't vibrate either. And they're always set in the right position because they don't hang "out there" where elbows/etc will knock them out of position in the garage. Or any time its parked for that matter.

They are probably OK for one up riding with no gear strapped on the back of the bike and no one riding behind you that you have to keep an eye on.

However, if you do have gear strapped on the back and someone on a bike behind you that you want to keep an eye on, the OEMs are virtually useless.

I know this because I went about 900kms this summer before I got a pair of K1200S mirrors for my 05RT. I then went the further 20,000+kms with the ability to see 180 degrees behind me at all times and would never be without them.

There is just no good reason not to have them. At least that's my opinion.

As far as vibration is concerned, they do vibrate more, but it disappears at 4000 rpm which is where the bike wants to be anyway. Kind of an added on tachometer.

Well, I have a 46L Givi topcase behind me and am always watching my wife who rides another bike--always behind me. Never thought I couldn't see everything I needed to, but then again maybe I just don't know what I'm missing..... :eek:

CoarsegoldKid
but it disappears at 4000 rpm which is where the bike wants to be anyway.

In 5th that's breaking the sound barrier up there. Slow down or you'll find yourself passing over the double yellow.

but it disappears at 4000 rpm which is where the bike wants to be anyway.

In 5th that's breaking the sound barrier up there. Slow down or you'll find yourself passing over the double yellow.

In N. Georgia on a trip from your home state of Florida... :lurk:

I agree, so I either slow down or gear down. We have a lot of twisties in BC and 4k is perfect for them.

The BC government has just brought in new excessive speeding laws that make +40kms over the limit just to expensive but 80kph is the speed limit on most twisties and 4k at that speed is all I need for a good rush. (And I can kick it up to 100kph without worrying about losing my bike for 7 days or whatever).

I know this doesn't have anything to do with mirrors, but what the heck.

im with bobbybob, stock mirrors work fine for me...i can see everything i need and want to see...i can see my top case, side cases, passenger, and buddies riding everywhere except dead behind me and too close....all i care about see anyway is wheter there is a cop back there or not....i hate upright mirrors, i will stick with my perfect, sleek, and NON vibrating stockers and spend my money on tires to pile on the miles

Archived