IGNORED

Gerbings heated glove question...

VinnyR11

I just ordered a new Gerbings jacket (my very old one is shot), and am thinking about putting their gloves on my Christmas list. I presently ride with good winter gloves and Stich waterproof 3 finger over-gloves.

The last time I ordered Gerbings gloves was well over 12 years ago. They were really clunky and overly thick.

I'm hoping the new Microwire and better insulation materials have reduced the padding and improved flexibility. I'm leaning towards their T5 gloves (link HERE ) with their G3 gloves as a second option (link HERE )

Anyone have any experience with either of them? Other heated glove recommendations are welcome as well. Thanks. (Please keep recommendations to heated gloves only.)

I bought a pair of Widder as a close out at my tire guy for $49. I also paid the big bucks for the Gerbing dual controller and now I can adjust the two separately. The old style Widders are a bit clunky but I'm happy with the warm results.

My even older pair of Widders were a bit tired. They didn't work so well being plugged into the wires on my Gerbing jacket. That's what fostered the dual controller.

Two of my riding buddies have the Gerbings and are happy with way they work.

I use the G3's. I enjoy the relatively light bulk at the controls. I have no experience with their new Microwire line of gear. I do have to add Aerostitch Triple Digit over-gloves on wet days.

My liner was older so I had to send it to Gerbings to rewire it for a dual-controller. A single controller never balanced heat correctly for me (roasting liner, cool hands).

You're probably referring to the old "Classic" Gloves. Yes, while they were extremely effective, their thickness was representative of the insulation technology of their time.

Today's heated gloves, from any manufacturer, are going to be thinner than those old Classics. From Gerbing's, specifically, there are the T5's, G3's, Nubuck, Hybrids and the new Lady Rider. We'll exclude the Lady Rider for obvious reasons.

The T5's are the thickest of these, at probably 50% the bulkiness of the old classics. These gloves are more technical in design, with articulated knuckles, pre-curved fingers and the longest gauntlet. The Hybrid Gloves are essentially T5's with a battery pocket in each gauntlet that allows for a 12V rechargeable lithium-polymer battery that can provide up to 3 hours of heat. The Hybrid Gloves can be operated either off the bike's power or from the optional batteries.

Gerbing's G3's are slightly more popular than the T5's, with a smooth leather finish and gel inserts in the palm. This is Gerbing's mid-priced glove.

The Nubucks are a brushed-swede glove designed primarily for moderate use or for passenger use.

All Gerbing's products now use Microwire exclusively. No use having developed a revolutionary, patented, mil-spec heating technology and not applying its advantages everywhere you can.

As for recommendations, in the interest of fair disclosure, I work for Gerbing's so I'm biased. That being said, I do ride with our gloves as well as do a lot of comparison testing with other companies' gloves. Now, some might expect me to say that they're all junk except ours, but that's not true. Some are decent, some are good, a couple are pretty good. I wear G3's.

+1 on the G3's, not as bulky as the T5's.

I did find however the fit varied ever so slighty between gloves of the same size and it was well worth to get them at my LD for the 'right' fit.

If I remember well, the Widder gloves were connected in series. That means the + goes to one glove, a wire goes (over your neck :) ) from one glove to the other, and the second glove has the ground wire. I don't know what happens if you connect a + and a ground to each glove. It would be good if somebody could confirm or correct this.

man do i love living and riding in souther california....i accidentally turned my grip warmers on low the other day and thought i was gonna burn my skin....i was hot riding in a regular hoodie yesterday....i wear an open face helmet still so i dont over heat...

My memory the same as Paul. The Widder 6v gloves might do some very odd things if connected to a 12v controller!

While I am a big fan of Gerbing's and cherish my jacket and two pairs of gloves, their glove sizing shifted from way over-size (buy "Small" if you have medium hands) to otherwise over the years. Used to be risky to buy except in person.

Perhaps EffBee could share some guidance sizing Classic, G3, etc. with the board.

Ben

I don't want to hijack the thread but...

I am wondering about the quality of Powerlet heated clothing vs. Gerbings. Powerlet is having a decent sale and I don't have any heated clothing yet. My bike has the Gerbings dual temperature controller built into it. Are the cables on the powerlet clothes the same as the Gerbings?

Thanks.

No risk, ez exchange.

MCN did a comparo written by board member Moshe Levy.

Search will provide a link.

G3's here.

While I am a big fan of Gerbing's and cherish my jacket and two pairs of gloves, their glove sizing shifted from way over-size (buy "Small" if you have medium hands) to otherwise over the years. Used to be risky to buy except in person.

Perhaps EffBee could share some guidance sizing Classic, G3, etc. with the board.

The Gerbing's Classic Gloves are no longer made. When the T5's were initially introduced, the factory that produced our G3's was at capacity. So we had them made at another factory. The overall quality was excellent. But despite sizing templates, the first production run of T5's were almost a half size off from perfect sizing. Since then, we've worked with the factory such that there is almost no difference in sizing between the two gloves.

I don't want to hijack the thread but...

I am wondering about the quality of Powerlet heated clothing vs. Gerbings. Powerlet is having a decent sale and I don't have any heated clothing yet. My bike has the Gerbings dual temperature controller built into it. Are the cables on the powerlet clothes the same as the Gerbings?

Thanks.

I work for Gerbing's (as I said above), and I will not say anything negative about a competitor. But I will talk about our company, its high standards and quality products, and its rich and accomplished history.

The facts is that we are #1. That, of course, makes us a target for our competitors since we set the benchmark. And that's not just us talking. We've been in business for 35 years, decades longer than anyone else, and we've always let our quality, our customers, and our commitment to customer service and satisfaction do the talking for us.

Our Microwire heated clothing technology is patented and is in use by the U.S. Military, as well as in every garment we make. We proudly develop and manufacture heated clothing for Special Ops Forces under contract from the Department of Defense. We are equally proud of the fact that we make heated clothing for Harley Davidson. We make heated clothing and specialty heated items for major league baseball teams/players/coaches, professional football teams and their staffs, professional soccer teams, and more specialty markets than anyone else.

You can purchase whichever brand of heated clothing you wish, and you'll probably be warmer than you would have been without it. But without Gerbing's, you won't be Gerbing's warm and Gerbing's comfortable. And that is a difference you can feel, mile after mile, month after month, for years on end.

I have a pair of Tourmaster gloves used with both my TM and Gerbings liners. The gloves fit very well after a couple wearings, and work with both my TM and G harnesses. So far they have not leaked a drop in wet riding conditions which admittedly I have only experienced a couple of times since buying the gloves. There are lots of options out there, good luck with whatever end choice is made.

EffBee,

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it. However, it I don't think it's fair that you give me this information with your avatar being "The Most Interesting Man in the World". That guy is so cool he almost made me buy Dos Equis beer instead of Sierra Nevada. Now that I feel he is talking straight to me I now NEED Gerbings liners. Very sly technique my friend, very sly. ;)

Stay thirsty,

-Ryan

Vinny-

I did a pretty in depth test of heated gear for MCN last year, and Gerbing's G3 gloves came in first place. If price is no object EXO2's gloves would have tied for first, but EXOs are substantially more expensive (though they would provide more protection with integrated faux carbon in the knuckle area). The G3s destroyed my 10 year old original Gerbing's "Classic" gloves in lab tests as far as heat produced over a much shorter period of time. You cannot go wrong with either the Gerbing's or EXO2 gloves.

Links to the raw text of my article with lab data: http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnheatedgearraw.pdf

Published version: http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnheatedgear.pdf

-MKL

I just ordered a new Gerbings jacket (my very old one is shot), and am thinking about putting their gloves on my Christmas list. I presently ride with good winter gloves and Stich waterproof 3 finger over-gloves.

The last time I ordered Gerbings gloves was well over 12 years ago. They were really clunky and overly thick.

I'm hoping the new Microwire and better insulation materials have reduced the padding and improved flexibility. I'm leaning towards their T5 gloves (link HERE ) with their G3 gloves as a second option (link HERE )

Anyone have any experience with either of them? Other heated glove recommendations are welcome as well. Thanks. (Please keep recommendations to heated gloves only.)

I absolutley love my G3s. I had those early model Gerbing stapuffmarshmallowheatedgloves. These G3s are everything I wanted, so long ago, in a heated glove. :thumbsup:

...We've been in business for 35 years, decades longer than anyone else, and we've always let our quality, our customers, and our commitment to customer service and satisfaction do the talking for us.

Satisfied customer here :wave:

My left classic glove (must have been 6+ yrs old) stopped heating a month ago. Sent it in for repair on a Monday and rec'd a new pair of G3s by Friday!

Best warranty response I've seen for ANY product. Good business approach to keeping your customers happy. I must have "sold" at least a dozen other riders on Gerbings over the years and just another 2 weeks ago - I let him borrow my old Gerbings vest with a cigarette lighter plug.... he purchase a liner/controller within a week.

Ummmm you have competitors? what competitors? ;)

I have been riding with Widder for the past 12 years. I have their heated vest, arm chaps and gloves. I am thinking of upgrading to a Gerbing heated jacket in the near future.

Thanks to all for the inputs. After all the feedback I'm now leaning more towards the G3's than the T5's, but in either case I'm going to go for a pair of Gerbings gloves. The G3's should be a little more flexible, and I have the Stich 3 digit overgloves for rain.

New jacket should be arriving Wednesday, so my season just got longer!

I had some of the original Gerbings, and while they were warm, their bulk made them a bit clumsy. When the G3 gloves (non microwire) came out, I sold the originals and bought the G3 model. The dexterity issue was solved; however, when powered on, the G3 gloves were definitely not as warm as my originals. I called Gerbings customer service, sent the gloves back and they did some rewiring magic...I've been a happy, WARM customer ever since...

• 1 year later...

String resurrected like a zombie:

I recently purchased the Gerbings T5s to replace my paleolithic set of Gerbings gloves. I loved the old ones, but they were relatively stiff and I could feel wires where they went over my knuckles. The new ones are incomparably more comfortable. They heat quickly and evenly, are buttery smooth, and very flexible. The flexibility means less hand fatigue over the miles.

The old ones were the most waterproof leather gloves I've had. I can't speak to that aspect yet, although I did wear them in one cold, pouring rain and they were still comfortable by the time I got home.

EffBee, I know why you've got a product you can believe in. Thanks!

Archived