IGNORED

Autocom - Helmet Mod Necessary?

Powers77

Have a new to me Autocom system. Just trying to set up the helmet portion and can't seem to get the speakers in a comfortable/functional fit. Is it necessary to dig (modify) the helmet to make this work?

Shoei X-11 if it matters.

Thanks

I had to dig/compress/shape some foam in my Nolan to make them fit properly. I'm sure there are some here who will say you will die on the very first get-off after doing this, though. :dopeslap:

Modifying your helmet is detrimental to your health, dangerous and can get you8 killed, there I said it!

Joking a side,

Helmet headset fit will depend on many things.

Helmet , size/width of the speakers being used and of course the size of your ears.

I have a Shoei RF-1000 and the Cardo Scala (bluetooth) speaker system fits fine, but my new ridercom does not. The Ridercom has a much thicker and better quality speaker.

FWIW,

I tried the autocom speakers and did not care for them in my Arai helmet. It took too much effort to place them exactly where needed, my ears would not flip back in place because the speakers were in the helmet holes, and the speakers did not stop the ambient noise and wind. I bought Etymotic ER6i in-ear speakers and the autocom cable that allows one to wear earphones. MUCH better in every way.

FWIW,

I tried the autocom speakers and did not care for them in my Arai helmet. It took too much effort to place them exactly where needed, my ears would not flip back in place because the speakers were in the helmet holes, and the speakers did not stop the ambient noise and wind. I bought Etymotic ER6i in-ear speakers and the autocom cable that allows one to wear earphones. MUCH better in every way.

What he said. Yes, I had to modify the X-11 to get a comfortable fit. No, the speakers did not sound good...they are about the size of a nickel, hidden in that stuff...you can now get a part which allows you to plug earphones into the plug where the speakers plug...if that makes sense. Check with the distributor. Etymotic ER4 earphones are not a good idea, the little hard bits will irritate your ears when the make contact with the helmet. Custom earphones are the best idea, but ER6i is also good.

Have a new to me Autocom system. Just trying to set up the helmet portion and can't seem to get the speakers in a comfortable/functional fit. Is it necessary to dig (modify) the helmet to make this work?

Thanks

Call us - we can help you get the speakers just right in your X-11 and you *do not* have to modify the helmet. 1 877.533.4245, ask for me.

Thanks

Call us - we can help you get the speakers just right in your X-11 and you *do not* have to modify the helmet. 1 877.533.4245, ask for me.

Wow--why not post the procedure here and give everyone the benefit of your knowledge? :thumbsup:

I don't have an X-11 but I'm sure I could benefit as could others....

I've had to modify my helmets (not your model) every time to place AutoCom speakers. They are VERY sensitive to being off-axis with your ear. Volume falls way off.

Can't help with your install exactly, but I have found that a very nice way to "dig" into the styrofoam is with a red hot chemical spatula, butter knife or the like. Usually I'll bend the tip over 90 dgerees. Just melt your way through the parts that need trimming. No flakes, no mess.... Just be careful.

Disclaimer: If you're wondering if this technique is right for you, it probably is not. Don't use your wife's good silver.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

The Shoei is one of the tightest helmets out there, but you still should not have to do any modification to the helmet... Don't forget, a helmet is designed with foam in certain places for reasons.. You paid a lot for that lid, you should really try to avoid cutting, burning or removing it's insides!

At times with certain helmets (most shoei and schuberth) are a bit tight. You can try compressing the Styrofoam with the back end of a screwdriver or the T of a big allen wrench.

I've installed Autocom systems on over 500 helmets and have worked on almost everything out there and I've had to remove Styrofoam only a handful of times. Our website www.autocomdirect.com does have some information on helmet installation, but feel free to email me at bryan@autocomdirect.com with any helmet or Autocom questions.

Archived