IGNORED

Russell Day Long Saddle

stevent

I'm thinking about picking one up for the GS. I'm a pretty large guy and neither the stock seat nor a Touratech comfort seat is working, I know the Russell's are a popular seat, any reason not to get one?

I caved in and bought my first RDL for the Vstrom. Best seat I ahve ever used. Its the only seat I ecxperienced no seat discomfort even after several days of riding all day. Any bike I ever have int eh future will have a RDL.

With my 30-inch inseam legs, I couldn't get comfortable on a Russell. Based only on my experience, they seem to move the rider forward and higher than the stock seat. I told Russell I had a Corbin that did that and didn't like it, they built a seat that did that anyway. Lots of people love their work. I didn't.

To my butt, the most comfortable thing is the BMW low seat with Spencer's LD seat modification.

Jim

Thanks guys, both positive and negetive sliding forward is the problem I have now even with the Touratech. I'll have to be specific in my order I guess

I got my RDL last week and did 780 miles Friday and Saturday. I am in awe of this seat. Forty years of riding and I never dreamed it was possible to ride through a whole tank of gasoline without having to stop to give the butt a break.

Absolutely amazing, and I have a 29 inch inseam. I do sit a bit higher but that lessened slightly after a few hundred miles.

I can still straddle the bike and fill up with out getting off.

I had a custom seat on my 1150 RT and it was better than the OEM, but the RDL is in a league by itself.

By the way a big thanks to the link here a few months ago about a group by on the ADV riders site. I saved $127.00!!

Rod

I neglected to mention that prior to getting a RDL, I bought some seat shims from Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD (http://www.bmwbobs.com), because my stocker slid me forward as well. I never removed them when I put the RDL on the bike, so I never had this problem. I had forgotten I put those shims on the bike.

Sent you a PM on a group buy that might still be open.

Look for the flashing envelope icon near the top of the page,next to"My Stuff"

JR356

The only reason not to get one would be the extra height, other than that no reason at all. Best seat I have ever ridden on. I was ready to give up riding because of extreme butt pain. The Russell gave a whole new enjoyment to riding. I can't wait to go on the long road now.

I went from leg numbing pain after 200 miles on the stock GS seat. To a 750 day without any "butt" issues at all. Again the addition height to some getting use to. I have to slide forward on the seat when stopping, get completely flat footed. That's a trade off I will take any day over butt pain!

Alan

I got in on the group buy through ADVRider. My production date is Dec 15tb. Can't wait. Once I get my Daylong, I'll have a Corbin for sale!

funny you should ask - my russel finished production and should be on its way to me tomorrow! Cant wait to go on that first ride. I'm thankful I live within the 1-day UPS shipping window!!

I'll let you know next week how much I love it, if I decide to ride back home.

-neal

I got a RDL saddle second hand, and couldn't be happier. I don't have anything to compare it to, other than the stock seat, but it hails in comparison to that. I like the stock seat for around town, and shorter rides because it's shorter and feet reach all the way to the ground. The RDL is quite a bit taller, but not drastically so. I got used to it within an hour or two. I usually have the stock seat through the week, and the RDL on the weekends.

That being said, what do most others use for waterproofing a leather seat?

Thanks in advance.

XTrooper, thanks for the pics, I have an 06 with the same colors and I was wondering how it would look. The RDL's look so wide, do you have any problems in the twisties? Do you lean alot or let the bike to the work? And last, these look like the leather covers, do you find them to slip a lot?

Thanks.

I have a set the same as Steve with leather inserts, sliping is not a problem for pilot or passenger. The wings on the front do make it a litle harder to touch the ground, I have to slide forward a bit when I stop but the extra comfort makes up for this. My seats are only new so may settle in a bit yet.

Bill

NOT to get one:

o) You'd rather spend the money on gambling and drinking

o) You'd rather be miserable and complain than enjoy the scenery

o) You'd rather say "I've got the most comfortable seat made" and know you're lying

o) You want your pillions to be uncomfortable

o) Your arms and legs ache, why not your butt too

o) You want the sexiest aftermarket seat made, no matter how uncomfortable it is

o) You just have to be different so you buy something made in a third world country so you can put special stickers all over your bike saying how you support the needy (but not your butt)

I could go on and on. Had a stock, went with a Rick Mayer, and now have a RDL . . . :clap::clap::clap: (emoticons are worth a thousand words)

Archived