IGNORED

The Schuberth Files

TrophyMike

With the new C3 helmet finally arrived would like to maintain a resource to share and disseminate information for anyone who has owned or is contemplating a Schuberth. We have product and are getting more manufacturer news daily.

I used to own a Schuberth Concept, probably the initial version they shipped to this country (circa 2000). I loved that helmet although it was a bit on the loud side. Version 2 (circa 2004), from what I understand, corrected that flaw big time. I have yet to see version 3, how does it differ from the C2?

The head shape and internals are completely new. The collar padding especially isolates noise to an astounding 84db/100kmh/62mph. Other key features:

*One touch flip-up chin bar and anti-fog retractable sun visor

*S.T.R.O.N.G. Fiber Shell Construction and Modular EPS Inner Liner

*Weighs only 3.6 lbs

*DOT and ECE-R 22.05 certified supersedes all Snell requirements

*Anti-Roll-Off-System ensures helmet from pivoting off head from behind

*Easy-change Pinlock Visor is double glazed for condensation free operation

*Active chin/visor venting and air intake, passive ventilation prevents CO2 concentration

*SRC rider fully integrated Bluetooth communication system available

*Dedicated models for Men and Women (designed for smaller head and narrower face)

*5 yr warranty plus 3 yr accident replacement (N.American models only)

In total the C3 is the lowest profile, lowest noise, lowest weight modular flip-up you can buy.

Distribution seems to be very limited at this point. I've been trying to find someone in the Atlanta area that will carry them to try a C3 on but no luck.

Hey all,

My wife and I had the C2 which we sold when we sold our '02 R1150RT, so when we picked up a '08 silver R1200RT almost exactly a year later, the C3 was the natural choice to which we gravitated.

I had a bit of a problem with the C2, as the shape didn't quite seem to fit my head, leading to some uncomfortableness after several hours.

We tried out the C3, gulped a bit at the price, and then tried on the BMW System 6 at the next door BMW shop. Basically the same helmet, made by Schubert for BMW with a slightly different shell shape. It's also a bit lighter.

...more importantly it was considerably cheaper than the C3, so that's what we went for.

We sized the helmets based on trial helmets they had in the shop. At first they felt tight and I starting getting worried on a repeat performance of the C2, but now after wearing them for a few 10s of hours, mine fits real well.

We loved the C2, quiet, light, loved the internal sun shade, but we're enjoying the System 6 even more.

Not quiet a C3 post, but close.

Russ

I have the S-1 (full face) and the shape of the helmet starts hurting after about an hour. I am probably a more oval head than the seemingly round shape of the S-1. I love the features of the helmet and its quietness. However the shape and a tendency to fog up with the shield fully closed are negatives for me.

What are the shell shape differences on the new C-3?

I have an R1, which I purchased online from Europe two years ago. I had Morton's fit my Autocom speakers and microphone inside. It's the best helmet I've ever owned -- supremely quiet and a great fit (must order one size larger)

Having used the C3 all year, for what it's worth, a few comments about the C3 (IMHO).

One touch flip-up chin bar and anti-fog retractable sun visor.

** Chin bar works well with postive latching. Loose sun visor mechanics will allow it drop down with vibration. (A small piece of adhevsive backed felt fixes problem). Sun visor clears my glasses fine - tint is not very dark ... Sunset and Sunrise still requires shades as well.

S.T.R.O.N.G. Fiber Shell Construction and Modular EPS Inner Liner

** The C3 only uses two shell sizes (to my knowledge) with the Larger Shell being a VERY big globe. Top liner consists of a thin fabric bridge running front to back. Makes for a nice "indentation" in my hairless head if I don't use a helmet liner.

Weighs only 3.6 lbs

DOT and ECE-R 22.05 certified supersedes all Snell requirements

Mine's the euro version (not DOT).

Anti-Roll-Off-System ensures helmet from pivoting off head from behind

** Chin strap could use improvement. The velcro "padding" shifts under the closure strap - irritating. My version uses toothed catch - don't know if US version uses "D" ring?

Easy-change Pinlock Visor is double glazed for condensation free operation

** Works as advertised. Nice.

Active chin/visor venting and air intake, passive ventilation prevents CO2 concentration

** Behind the RT's wind screen, not surprising - not impressed. I ride with face shield just cracked open most days.

SRC rider fully integrated Bluetooth communication system available

** This is great! Excellent battery life. Good sound. Easy install.

*Dedicated models for Men and Women (designed for smaller head and narrower face)

*5 yr warranty plus 3 yr accident replacement (N.American models only)

I have a Concept made in 2001 I picked up used (like new) size Large (59)...It has hit the ground a couple times so I replaced it with another used Concept (XL, size 61 I believe, 2003). Most other helmets I was always XL, the Concept was so close in these two sizes....HOWEVER when the C2's were starting to fade away (new) I tried a large C2 (no more XL's avail) and it was a tad too tight, so I had to send it back, the XL would have been perfect. Some day soon I want a C3, will get in in XL...Love the way they fit, and the 'view' is fantastic. According the them it should be quieter than previous models, that would be great!

If your helmet hurts, change it. I personally take a small hammer to every helmet I have owned and tap the high spots out of the inside. Yes, I know I have "ruined" the helmet. I can have protection and pain or protection without pain and I choose the later.

Archived