IGNORED

Quick review of Sena SMH10 bluetooth

D-Mac

Hi folks,

I'm always getting useful answers from here, so I thought I'd add my two cents about a product I've been happy with - the Sena bluetooth SMH10.

I did a LOT of research on bluetooth (bt) products. There are lots of good choices out there, and things are improving all the time. I have a non-bt Zumo 450 (a new Zumo 665 is on the way this week, which supports stereo bt), so for now all I've done is pair it to an older iPhone 3G (running the newest OS).

Simply put - it works GREAT! I've run it for a couple of thousand miles, including a 1000+ mile day last month (in sub-freezing temps with rain). FLAWLESS. I do get a bit of feedback from the phone sometimes, but I expect (hope) this will go away once I pair the system through the new Zumo rather than directly with the phone. With the new OS on the iPhone you can not only make/receive a call but control volume, pause, AND cycle through songs on the iPhone (other smartphones apparently work as well). It's very simple to set up and run. You can also charge it in about 2h and it lasts over 12h. With an adapter you can even charge it while using it if needed.

Mounting if via a clamp or gluing the unit to your helmet. On my Nolan N-102 I needed to use the glue. It's rock solid and takes 5 min to install.

I also bought the $35 headset that allows you to plug earbuds into it. This is a HUGE deal to me, since I prefer noise-canceling earbuds to speakers + earplugs. I've been using this almost entirely since I bought the system. I just switched back to the original setup tonight to see how it works. The earbud setup has PLENTY of volume to hear music/speech easily, although I'm not sure the helmet speakers will be quite loud enough if wearing earplugs (I'll post about this soon).

Mrhit.com has the system on sale for $140. For $35 you can get a separate headset that allows you to plug in earbuds.

Lots of info (including videos) can be found at www.senabluetooth.com

Both headsets also have an input for a direct 1/8" stereo plug, although this will override all bluetooth if enabled.

The system supports intercom connections to other headsets, although it looks like there is no "party" setting (for if you're in a group you'd be better off with something else). I haven't used this feature so YMMV.

I plan to order a second unit for my wife to try this spring, and so I have one system to charge while I wear the other one (I plan to run this Sena setup and swap out units during the 2011 Iron Butt Rally).

CoarsegoldKid

All this BT stuff is like wizardry to me. But I do like the idea. There seems to be intercom pairing to 3 other BT intercom system and the intercom is good for 900 meters. I watched the video pairing the mp3 to the Sena,plus the Zumo to the Sena, plus the iphone to the Zumo. That seems like two pairing to the Sena leaving one more pairing for an intercom system. Does that make sense? Now if the mp3 music came from the iphone there would be room for two intercom pairings. Does that make sense? Same thing if music came from the Zumo. Does that make sense? If I'm correct this is all good.

Instead of using in helmet speakers a rider could use ear bud speakers plugged into the Sena for better sound management. That is also a good thing I think.

Now for the winner I wonder if a pairing could be acheived with our common non=BT walkie talkie systems with some other intermediary BT device?

Archived