IGNORED

BMW/Garmin Nav III - audio progblems

Deek

Apparently the audio on my 2006 OEM Garmin/BMW Nav III GPS has been having problems for a while. The audio would occasionally go out for a few seconds from time to time on the original RT, a 2006, and sometimes after an overnight outside it would refuse to make sounds for an hour or so. The audio was sent through the OEM radio/CD unit. Everything else functioned 100% on the GPS.

I got a 2009 RT this summer and installed the Nav III on this one. The audio is fed through a J&M Integratr unit. The audio sometimes doesn't come on for a few seconds when I start out (parked in garage), and occasionally it will not come on for maybe 30 minutes when parked outside. Sounds like about the same symptoms as when it was installed on the 2006 model.

I checked and Garmin does have a flat rate $200 repair ( replacement) policy on this unit. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with a dual badged Garmin GPS? The Nav III is similar to the Street Pilot 28xx units, but have Blue Tooth (which I do not use).

I suppose I will send the unit to Garmin, as the interruptions in audio are getting irritating.

I have not experienced the same audio loss you describe with my Nav III, but I did have intermittant connection problems, especially when travelling over rough surfaces. These would sometimes result in rebooting the system and poor audio quality.

Cleaning the contacts and applying a dielectric grease coating on the contact surfaces of both leads solved the problems immediately. Might be worth a try before sending the unit away for a $200 checkup.

I have not experienced the same audio loss you describe with my Nav III, but I did have intermittant connection problems, especially when travelling over rough surfaces. These would sometimes result in rebooting the system and poor audio quality.

Cleaning the contacts and applying a dielectric grease coating on the contact surfaces of both leads solved the problems immediately. Might be worth a try before sending the unit away for a $200 checkup.

You're right, I will do that and see if anything gets better. I forgot to mention in my OP that even when the audio is "out", I can barely hear a sorta click when she ought to talk, like when I push the Speak button.

Archived