IGNORED

Best Biking Roads iPhone App

Sellis

Hi All,

Thought some of you might be interested in the above iPhone App. I read about it on AVD Rider and thought it was worth a try. Downloaded and installed fine from iTunes. Initially I'm impressed with the app. I was a little skeptical when I first read about the App, but after I looked up some of the local roads I am familiar with and was surprised to find some of them listed in the database, the ratings and descriptions were pretty much on the money. I'm sure there will be exceptions though due to the fact that the database routes are input by all kinds of riders, what one person thinks is great, another will hate. Overall I think this is a worthwhile App, at least it gives you some place to start when touring in unfamiliar territory. Maybe better than asking the girl behind the counter in the local convenient store where all the bikers go to ride. I do realize that some of the best info for great riding can be had by just asking here on the board, but sometimes, in fact most of the time, I don't plan ahead that all that well! You can take a look at it at:

www.bestbikingroads.com

Steve

I decided to check out northeast GA, since it's a region that I know well. It's too bad the site doesn't exert a little editorial control, as howlers abound, such as "Racer B. Russull Scenic Highway" and "Dohlonega". Hideous color choices for the web site -- it's a long time since I have seen a site this ugly. Is the iPhone app any easier on the eyes?

Still, by using crowd sourcing, this site probably collects in one place more interesting routes around the world than any other single resource.

What's the official name of the iTunes app?

Open iTunes, go to the App store, and search for "best biking roads" in the search window in the upper right hand corner.

Steve

Not sure of this. I know Florida's good motorcycle roads (there's not much to know) and this app has NOTHING between south Florida and the panhandle. It has a "good route" in West Palm Beach (funny if you know Florida). For me it's a $4 question-mark.

My guess is that to be effective, a "Best Biking Roads" app would have to concentrate on one state. Covering the entire U.S. would require a huge database.

Also, my golf GPS app uses the iPhone's GPS to locate the golf course I'm playing. It knows where I am. A good route planner could do the same thing when I'm in the North Georgia mountains and show me the best local roads.

Lone_RT_rider
I decided to check out northeast GA, since it's a region that I know well. It's too bad the site doesn't exert a little editorial control, as howlers abound, such as "Racer B. Russull Scenic Highway" and "Dohlonega". Hideous color choices for the web site -- it's a long time since I have seen a site this ugly. Is the iPhone app any easier on the eyes?

Still, by using crowd sourcing, this site probably collects in one place more interesting routes around the world than any other single resource.

Selden, I don't have an I-phone so I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I will say this. No disrespect intended, but you could win the lottery and still be upset about paying the taxes.... Like I said...no disrespect intended.

Shawn

It looks like it covers some of the best biking roads in Aus so I imagine it would have some in Europe too (it says 1583 on the website)

Looks like some of the good ones in Aus are missing though. If it is only around $4 I might just get it for heck of it.

Teddy

Archived