IGNORED

Need Help Choosing a Custom Seat.

dsabmw

Thanks in advance for any advise. I have an 08RT with heated seats and am looking for custom seats that will work with the heat controller on the bike.

Fightingpiper

I had a Bill "rocky" mayer seat on my 06 RT. IT was built very well but if I had to do it a gain I would get the Russell day long. I am a large guy and a foam seat just will not provide the support and comfort that a spring loaded seat will.

I also have to recommend a Russell. I just installed one on my 09 RT 3 days ago. Did a brief 40 mile ride on Saturday, then 170 miles earlier today. Outstanding seat. Previously I could ride about 100 miles before needing a break, but this time I had no problems going the full 170 and was still ready for more. No regrets so far.

Everyone is different; what worked for me may not work for you. Therefore, the important issue is whether you can return it after trying it.

So, first, consider ordering a Sargent direct from Sargent. You have 30 days to return it (there's a restocking fee for the heated version, none for the not-heated version). If it's not the right thing, then you can work with one of the custom makers. Some (most?) of the custom guys will suggest you ride for at least 1,000 miles before deciding whether to have further modifications made. I don't know if any of them will refund your money if you're not comfy...and once modified, you don't go back.

I would add my vote for the RDL. I got one used, and love it. Buying used means that it wasn't custom built for me, but someone else. I still couldn't be happier with the seat. When I have a custom seat built for me in the future, it will be a RDL.

I've had Russell seats, and before that Bill Mayer Sr's original design seats before he sold the design to Russell. To me, the gold standard or touring saddles, and I am in line to have one made next month.

Last seat, for some reason that I cannot recall, I went with Rick Mayer, instead. Certainly rates with the worst experience I've ever had on a purchase of any kind. Suffice to say that I would not recommend a Rick Mayer seat.

I've had Russell seats, and before that Bill Mayer Sr's original design seats before he sold the design to Russell. To me, the gold standard or touring saddles, and I am in line to have one made next month.

Last seat, for some reason that I cannot recall, I went with Rick Mayer, instead. Certainly rates with the worst experience I've ever had on a purchase of any kind. Suffice to say that I would not recommend a Rick Mayer seat.

And Russell's are like torture for me while Rick Mayer's are exquisite.

These type of questions have no answers that are right, or wrong, unless someone else is an ass just like me.

My suggestion is find examples and try them.

Even though they aren't made for your particular seat, it is infinitely better than a response on-line.

Best wishes.

IMHO, it depends on your butt size and weight. Russell is perfect for me (I've had the others on other bikes) as I have a big butt and I weigh a lot. Others in my MOA have smaller butts and less weight and like the others.

I've had a Sargent on my RT, a Rick Mayer on my 1100S and just got a Russell for my GS. Hands down the Russell is the most comfortable seat I have used. The only cautions are that it is taller than the stock and that takes some getting used too. The other is that my legs were stiff when I stopped for gas because I wasn't continually moving around and standing up after an hour of riding like I had to do with my stock seat.

I am another very happy customer of Rick Meyer..On a previous post,I told a story about my experience with him regarding how he stands behind his product,which he is proud of.

Which ever way you go,take advantage of the "Drive in" appointment that Rick, Russell, Corbin and perhaps others offers.It's the best way to go,you don't leave till the seat fits you correctly and you are happy the the workmanship.

Steve

Got a Sargent for mine. Sent it back to have the standard "dish" filled in (which makes it custom). Not much better than stock, maybe an hour at this point (600 miles). Wider and taller, I use the low setting. Probably going to start using the stocker around town, keep the Sargent for longer rides.

My previous was a Rick Mayer. Beautiful seat - support just so-so. I now have a Russel Day Long - IMHO far superior to the Mayer. I will say it is much wider and takes a little getting used to, but when I'm riding it's much more of the "good to be home on the couch" feeling than any I've ever ridden on. Great customer service as well (had a bad experience with RM - I don't think it was intentional, I just don't think he is well organized - just my opinion).

Archived