IGNORED

Parts

philbytx

Since the demise of Hammersley, I've been searching for BMW part suppliers on the Internet.

The rear light assembly on my R was cracked and I decided to replace the whole thing. Did a search and hit up a site called

www.bmwriderparts.com and decided to give them a go. Price was a couple bucks cheaper than A&S and the like. Pretty easy navigation but I did notice they do not put how many in stock etc.

As the light still works, I decided to go ahead and input the order on 11/11 and still haven't received it and their site says "expected on 2010-11-19".

The Hammersley guys were great and I do miss their excellent service and follow-up.

Can anyone recommends a halfway decent BMW dealer or parts place that has decent pricing and good follow-up.

I use BBY whenever I can but when it comes to "pieces parts" you just have to go to a dealer!

"expected on 2010-11-19" sounds like when they expect to have it in stock to ship. I hate merchants that do business that way. No communication, force you to go to site to figure out whats happening. I won't deal with any like that--thanks for the warning! :wave:

Yup! You are correct......I received email from them yesterday giving me the UPS tracking number. Expected delivery 11/23.....12 days from date of order.

"expected on 2010-11-19" sounds like when they expect to have it in stock to ship. I hate merchants that do business that way. No communication, force you to go to site to figure out whats happening. I won't deal with any like that--thanks for the warning! :wave:

I think the likelihood of that happening is inversely proportional to the need of the part.

It is certainly an aggravation

The only problem I see is communication. A complete tail light assembly is not something a dealer (especially a Chattanooga dealer) would stock. Most dealers are on a weekly ordering cycle. So 12 days from order to receiving mail order is good normal.

For emergency orders a dealer can order VOR = "vehicle off road". If ordered before 2 pm, the dealer will have it the next business day. There is a surcharge, I think 6%.

Survived-til-now

I think I'm with Paul on this.....

From their website:

We offer OEM BMW factory replacement parts through an exclusive dealer relationship that allows us to extend discounted pricing of as much as 30% below list price. Our inventory includes parts for Classic BMWs through late model new BMW cars and SUVs.

We ship nation-wide, maintain an extensive local and regional inventory and can ship most orders within 1 - 3 business days.

We are in no way affiliated with BMW. All trademarked/copyright content used with the express permission of our dealership partners.

Then go to their policy page and the further specifics are there:

If the part(s) you order are in stock in our Decatur, Ga. warehouse, and the order is received by 12:00 pm (est), (edt), we will ship the same day at no extra charge. (Unlike some of our mail order competition who charge extra for this same day service.)

If the parts are not in our local stock, and are a Moss part # (111-111) format, we will order them from Moss the next business day, receive them in our warehouse 3-4 business days later, and we will ship to you that same day we receive the parts. Normal time frame is you place order on day 1, we place order w/ Moss, receive order, ship order to you on day 5-6, you then add the appropriate number of days in transit via UPS as posted below.

If the parts you order are NOT Moss part #'s, delivery times are approx. 1 week from our supplier to us, then shipment time to you.

It was pretty obvious that they were going to have to order it from the BMW dealer with which they have a trading relationship and if you if you add on the 3 days UPS they quote on their site for your State, chuck in a weekend non-trading day and you aren't that far off.....

Sounds like you are really missing your old supplier!

I discovered they actually run a variety of vehicle parts sites.

englishparts/miniparts being two others.

Being fair here, I must admit, it was well packed and shipped out promptly, once they received it. At the end of the day, if I needed "non-critical" parts, I would prolly do biz with them again :thumbsup:.

And, Yes!, I do miss Hammersley but they are gone :cry: and I just have to adjust. One thing about being a, sometimes cranky, old geezer, adjusting to change is something we can kvetch about :rofl:.

Archived