IGNORED

Atlas TC411 Tire changer?????

markgoodrich

Haven't heard of this one, listed in a secret location on a secret online board not too far from my house for $600, as as "Gregsmithequipment.com" changer...can't find much online about it, assume it's a discontinued model. Chinese? Would this be a good idea compared to a No-Mar or Harbor Freight?

Appears to use compressed air, which I have plenty of.

I have had this changer for 6 years and it works great. I paid 1200 for it when purchased. $600 is a good price andit has been trouble free.

Can you describe the function? I've not found any information about it...any way to scratch motorcycle wheels? What about dual brake disks?

Thanks.

Happy to help you out. This changer is air powered and the mounting table is turned by electric motor. It has an air powered bead breaker. It is a touchless system so the shoe that handels the install and removal of the tire is on an arm that drops down and is spring loaded but locks in where you want it. That arm is adjustable so you can change the position depending on the size of the rim and the rim side of the shoe has plastic inserts so if the shoe hits the rim it does not scar it. You can set the shoe any distance from the rim manualy. It should have motorcycle adapters on it if was sold as a motorcycle changer but you can remove them to change car wheels. If you want to talk to me, PM and I will give you my phone number.

Bob

Hi Mark,

The unit you are considering is quite large and takes up considerable floor space in comparison to a No Mar unit. The Atlas IS NOT American made (China). For home use, even at $600, it is extreme overkill. How many tires per year do you plan to change? Commercial pneumatic changers have allot of power and can damage a wheel in a split second if you are not very careful or aren't real familiar with the machine.

I have a No Mar unit. It is a good American quality tire changer, no motors, no moving parts, and will still be as functional in 20 years as it was the day I purchased it. I doubt the Atlas will. Just my 2¢.

Hi Mark,

The unit you are considering is quite large and takes up considerable floor space in comparison to a No Mar unit. The Atlas IS NOT American made (China). For home use, even at $600, it is extreme overkill. How many tires per year do you plan to change? Commercial pneumatic changers have allot of power and can damage a wheel in a split second if you are not very careful or aren't real familiar with the machine.

I have a No Mar unit. It is a good American quality tire changer, no motors, no moving parts, and will still be as functional in 20 years as it was the day I purchased it. I doubt the Atlas will. Just my 2¢.

In 20 years I'll be in the chili dog/Ho Ho/cocaine/not not drinking beer mode.

Actually, thanks for the input, I've never seen one of these things. Turns out the guy has used it in his shop for the last 5 years. I may go take a look tomorrow or the next day anyway.

Haven't heard of this one, listed in a secret location on a secret online board not too far from my house for $600, as as "Gregsmithequipment.com" changer...can't find much online about it, assume it's a discontinued model. Chinese? Would this be a good idea compared to a No-Mar or Harbor Freight?

Appears to use compressed air, which I have plenty of.

Mark, you're just looking for another way to use summa dat compressed air wasting away in its little red tank. Look, Harbor Freight has a sale on pneumatic ratchets and grinders that make REALLY NEAT professional air-tool-shop whirring sounds when activated with 90 psi. Go getcha a couple of those, only about $12 each, plug 'em up, and make some really satisfying air-ratchet-grinder sounds. WHIRRRRRR--RAZZZZZZ--RATCHETA-RACHETA-ZZZZZZZIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGG

But seriously, its been 6 months since we traded emails re. getting a Cycle Hill or No Mar. What are you waiting on? You need a pneumatic tire changer like Rossi needs training wheels. :dopeslap:

Actually, thanks for the input, I've never seen one of these things. Turns out the guy has used it in his shop for the last 5 years. I may go take a look tomorrow or the next day anyway.

Here's what they look like. These pics are from one for sale in VA on Cragslist.

3n53oa3pb5T15Q35R2acd40c11f4b2d831623.jpg

3n23ka3o75W05U55P4acd109f53c13ee11037.jpg

3nd3k13m55O65Q45W1acd215014e1d4171168.jpg

I have owned one of these machines for about 6 years. Used a H.F. unit before that. I love this tire changer! I own several bikes and living in the mountains I burn up tires at an astounding rate, I also change tires and do maintenance for my riding buddys. If you change a lot of tires this is a great investment, makes the job much faster and easier. Greg Smith Equipment is an excelent company to deal with and they stand behind their stuff. Yes, the machine is made in Asia, not sure what country, but it's made in an ISO Certified factory and the quality is good. You decide if you want to buy Asian goods. I couldn't justify a Coats or other American made unit because I only change about 100 tires a year, I'm not a full time motorcycle shop.

I've decided against the Atlas. Too big, too heavy, overkill for my modest needs. Just getting it to the house would be a logistical nightmare.

Thanks for the replies and advices.

I called the distributor...they recommended against it becaause larts are unavailable. Didn't try to sell me anything.....

Guy is dropping the price almost hourly...San Marcos Tx CL.

I've decided against the Atlas. Too big, too heavy, overkill for my modest needs. Just getting it to the house would be a logistical nightmare...

You could just strap it to the roof of the hybrid.

Always helpful, Eddddddddddddddd. Actually, I have a trailer hitch, but the darn thing weighs something like 400 pounds, be a helluva job getting it onto a trailer, but boy, would I feel sanctimonious driving 44 mph in the fast lane with my super-duper tire changer with pedals!

I'm thinking, just so long as I don't pi$$ Limecreek off too bad, I'm not in a rush to get a changer, despite bobbybob's jumping up and down.

Archived