IGNORED

iPad as navigator

albury

One of the issues noted is that IPhone and iPad are somewhat heat sensitive and tend to shut down when exposed to the sun on top of or in a tankbag.

JR356

I can attest to that, mine shut down in direct sunlight and around 80 degree temps. I've looked at mounting mine as well, but I'm sticking with the TomTom for the time being.

My iPhone (and Garmin 478 when I forgot the mount!) both overheated when placed in the clear plastic map holder on the tank bag... However when stuck (velcro) on top, even in direct sun, no problem... And I'm in S.Florida.

Check out RKA at:

www.rka-luggage.com

1-800-349-1-RKA

I picked up a tail bag this morning from them, and Richard Battles is working on a prototype bag for iPad use - in particular, a solution for the heating issue.

I am not affiliated with RKA - just a very satisfied user of their product for the better part of 20 years.

• 3 months later...
I can attest to that,ipad 2 case mine shut down in direct sunlight and around 80 degree Apple Accessoriestemps. I've looked at mounting mine as welliPad2 casesbut I'm sticking with the TomTom for the time being.

mine shut down in direct sunlight and around 80 degree temps. I've looked at mounting mine as well, but I'm sticking with the TomTom for the time being.

I've never tried to use it on the bike but I used in the car that way. I have the WiFi version so I had to tether it to my Blackberry to have a continuous connection but it work fairly well. It will work in a pinch but I think a dedicated GPS unit is a better choice.

Using a GPS as a point-to-point navigator is missing what a GPS can do for you... i.e. a CAR GPS, give that to someone in a car.

The REAL value of a GPS is custom routing you on a ride where YOU want to go, i.e pre-programmed ride on your PC then sent to the GPS to "take you for a ride".

Unless you can program an IPad for this... A waste, totally missing the point of what a GPS can do for you.

My .02 cents...

Keep in mind that you're not going to be able to control the touch-screen while wearing gloves.

I can use the touch screen functions of my Garmin 2720 with gloves on - both summer and winter/rain gloves too!

It may matter on which touch technology, resistive or capacitive, is being used. I'm not sure which the Garmin utilizes.

Mostly I wear sailing gloves without index and thumb tips... It's hot here and they dry fast... Anyway... my bigger concern is screen brightness.

Archived