IGNORED

Whose got the 411 on camping equipment designed for motorcycling?

FLrider

I guess what I mean by that is; compact, light, etc.,

I am toying, and I really mean toying with the idea of doing so solo riding and camping....

Mostly on the Eastern Coast and maybe Central States.

Any suggestions welcome.

Larry

advrider.com

has pages and pages of stuff. I spent many evenings going through the threads and then one day realized that God gave me a Visa card so I will never have to sleep on the ground ever again!

"If the great out doors are so great, what are the homeless bitching about"

Do you do any camping now? Either car camping or backpacking?

A lot really depends on how you want to do it. The first level would be just sleeping at a campground, eating all your meals before getting there or after leaving. All you need is a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress; maybe stove and pot to heat water for coffee. From there you can move up in comfort with a chair, cooking set, food, and beer. A bigger tent, lantern for reading in bed, hammock add luxury.

On a bike, the weight is less important than how compact the gear is. Get at least a two-person tent for solo camping, but make sure the pack size is short enough to stow on the back. Same advise for the sleeping bag and pad.

----

Do you do any camping now? Either car camping or backpacking?

A lot really depends on how you want to do it. The first level would be just sleeping at a campground, eating all your meals before getting there or after leaving. All you need is a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress; maybe stove and pot to heat water for coffee. From there you can move up in comfort with a chair, cooking set, food, and beer. A bigger tent, lantern for reading in bed, hammock add luxury.

On a bike, the weight is less important than how compact the gear is. Get at least a two-person tent for solo camping, but make sure the pack size is short enough to stow on the back. Same advise for the sleeping bag and pad.

----

Well said!

I'd also make sure that determine your level of commitment to camping from the bike before you start pumping a bunch of money into to doing it.

I wanted to do the same thing, and a couple of us made some grand plans to do it but we've been exactly once...

I went the route of a cheap 8x8 tent that folds small. It fits me and all my gear in side or me and my son and our necessaries. I carry a jet boil for quick meals and coffee and either stay someplace with a picnic table or else I carry a cheap sling chair from wally world. All that said, I'm in it maybe $200 for bike camping which isn't all that bad since I use the same set up for car camping much more than I do on the bike.

Torreya2007039.jpg

Picture shows our UPak, various options to choose from, w/rain cover on.

You can see the Eureka Pinnacle 3AT tent w/rainfly and ground cover cloth.

Chairs are sling chairs (5x19 and 32oz) 2 of them take up less room and weigh less than one Kermit.

On the table are soft lunch bags that we pack various things in like our Coleman PeakII dual fuel stove, a folding grill, cooking/eating utenwsils, spare fuel, dehydrated foos, oatmeal, trail mix, etc.

Two zip together extra long sleeping bags (40 degree), 2 sets of silk bag liners, 2 microfiber large camp towels, 2 fleece covers, 4-6 camp pillows that stuff and 2 stuff pillow bags you can put clothes or cover in that can be used as a pillow.

Two inflatable Coleman camping grade airmatresses, or 2 four inch inflatable matresses depending on weather etc.

Sleeping comfort is very important, IMO, as a restless night doesn't lead to a good day of riding.

The Upak holds everything and is a baskrest for pillion.

I cut a piece of wood that bolts to my GIVI rack and is as wide as the Upak. This provides more support and stability.

I use rokstraps, H2Wheel frame loops to attach the bag to the bike/rack/frame tie down points.

It doesn't move and has places I can stuff other things like water bottles.

If it is a rainy time I add a bag to carry rain gear (another Helen 2Wheels mesh bag) on top of the Upak for easy access.

If no rain, the mesh bag will hold wet towels or other stuff to dry.

Lots of other stuff, campsoap for people and dishes, clothesline for drying, combo eating utensils, typical stuff.

I like being able to eat at the campsite if we want to and really like breakfast before packing and riding.

You can eat before stopping, stop get something and bring it to the campsite, or cook at the campsite. Having the option lets you vary the routine.

My main focus is on comfort, being warm and dry (weather dependent) a;nd not having to rely on outside vendor for food or water. We carry 2 days worth of water and resupply as needed.

I research the areas before going for destination sites including tourism/meals/etc. Then ask locals/other campers.

Spend wisely, buying one time and spending more is better than the other option, IMO.

Compression bags/caps are your friends.

Let me know if we can help.

Best wishes.

I have done quite a bit of camping over the years. I think its important to have a good three season tent, a good sleeping bag and an air mattress that is compact and still thick enought to provide good insulation.

I have been very happy with The North Face tents and sleeping bags. Therm-A-Rest self inflating air mattresses are hard to beat.

Larry,

As an avid backpacker and camping nut, I agree with most of what is above. I would also add that most of your quality outdoor retailers will rent you camping equipment (often a large university in the area will have similar programs) so that you could try before you buy. In many cases, the latest and the greatest is only a new color and a 1 ounce weight saving which will mean absolutely nothing (probably) to you.

I agree that comfort is the biggest thing when shopping but you need to determine what your comfort level is. When I was out with a pack on my back it was a huge decision of weight vs. comfort, but with your bike that weight issue is almost a non-factor. Some nights I slept with a sleeping bag on the bare ground (and wouldn't suggest that to many people) and other nights I spent on cots...each has their obvious selling points.

My .02 - rent or borrow before you buy. It will ultimately save you hundreds of dollars...

Best of luck and be safe.

The BMW MOA site has a very good section on motorcycle camping with a lot of information and well worth spending some time on:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/ridetour/camping

I have spent a lot of years traveling on and camping off of motorcycles and the less is more mentality is far and away the best in my book. I have found that I can travel indefinately on the GS with just a tank bag and the Jesse's and 1 Helen 2wheels bag with the tent and another with the sleeping bag and mattress on top of the bags. Seahorse case with laptop is optional also.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

When you figure out what you need, check Sierra Trading Post

Lots of stuff, most of no one will ever use but, unreal pricing on their closeouts. Example: Brunton fuel bottles for $2 or so. Cheap enough I carry one on long RT trips.

A couple of places that frequently have sales on good quality camping stuff are Cabela's (cabelas.com) and campsaver.com.

I'm currently using a Cabela's XPG Deluxe 4 man tent that is light, easy to set up and take down, packs up at a reasonable size (under $200 on sale). It has been in some hard rain and it is absolutely waterproof, a good value for the money. I'm using a Luxurylite Cot with a Thermarest Neoair mattress and a Western Mountaineering down bag. The cot packs up very small, weighs about 3lbs, the mattress is the size of a nalgene bottle when packed and weighs about a pound. The sleeping bag was expensive, but it's the best and compacts to the size of a loaf of bread. Add a Jetboil Java for coffee and light meals and you're good to go! Good gear that will make you feel comfortable makes all the difference and can be had at very reasonable prices if you surf the right suppliers sites regularly to catch some bargins. Good luck, Don

My wife considers Holiday Inn as 'camping'. I have done a couple of trips with sleeping bags and HIGHLY recommend the thermarest self inflating pads ...

If I were buying camp gear today, I'd look at the Hennessy Hammock as the 'tent' of choice ... http://hennessyhammock.com/ ... these can be used with a thermarest and the combination is said to be very comfortable, quick to set up, weatherproof and warm. No worries about ground condition or ground cloths.

This is where renting or borrowing can help out.

I don't like any of the "therma-rest" typs mattress.

IMO, they take up too much room, aren't the right size, don't provide enough support/comfort.

YMMV.

The inflatable mattress can leak, byt we haven't had that happen (knock, knock), folds flat.

I can fit tow of them on the bottom of our Upak, or GIVI, so they take up less space than a thermarest type.

Big Agnes brand makes sleeping bags designed to incorporate the mattress in a pocket.

That is a big plus, again MO, and it should keep one from sliding off or around too much.

Get a tent that is designed for one more person than will be using the tent so you have some room.

I would recommend a hammock over a tent. Check these out: Hennesy Hammock's

I have had one for about 6 years and they are AMAZING! If you are camping at a place w/o trees you may be a tad hosed.

I have actually tied off from a lumber rack from a truck and the roll cage of a sand rail....right in a parking lot.

They are super small.

-Ryan

If you go with a hammock then do it right the first time and get a warbonnett blackbird. You can go to hammockforums.net and read for days about hammock gear. LOTS of motocampers there as well.

If you go with a hammock then do it right the first time and get a warbonnett blackbird. You can go to hammockforums.net and read for days about hammock gear. LOTS of motocampers there as well.

Lee,

Thanks for the info on the Warbonnett's. I haven't heard of them, I have had my hennessey for 6 years or more and I don't recall seeing anything like them back then. It looks like Warbonnett may have made some improvements on that HH design.

Also...When I got my HH it was still made in the USA, looks like they moved to China, and the WB's are made in USA. I am sure I will need to upgrade in a year or two (nylon doesn't last forever) and I will be looking at the WB's.

-Ryan

Ryan,

The Warbonnett is the HOT item right now. It is american made and is available in a double layer construction so you can put a sleeping pad between the layers and it will not move around while you are in the hammock. I purchased a WBBB last fall and after getting home from using it I purchased a second one because I liked it that much.

I started with HH and actually had the zipper mod installed but as far as I am concerned there is no substitute for a Warbonnett Black Bird. If you purchase it and don't like it you can sell it on hammock forums for WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT in less than 30 minutes. They are a hot seller.

I am also planning on camping at the unrally and am going to bring both the hammock and tent in case the camp areas aren't too well suited for hammocks.

Here is a couple of pics from my most recent outing in December:

8ffc9ffd.jpg

b311dcad.jpg

Here is a couple of our outings with the HH:

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

I have learned most of the info that I know about the hammocks on hammocksforums.net and advrider. There is a guy on advrider that goes by the name "Land" and he has a TON of info on motocamping. He is a school teacher of some sort and spends his summers out riding/camping.

I'm feeling the need to get a group camping trip together someplace. I know a really nice place in NC that me, Tytass and RT Jim looked at a couple years ago.

Anyone? Anyone? maybe 6 weeks after the UN before it starts getting too crappy to camp?

Wow. That's a lot of information and good advice. Still very confusing.

I had done a fair amount of tent camping as the kids were growing up. Then we did the RV thing. So, tent camping isn't totally foreign to me.

I recall really enjoying a leisurely morning, coffee and some grub, sitting in my chair as the sun rises, dew on the plants, a few chirping birds...

How much do you think I'd have to spend to get decent basics?

I've call a couple of places that specialize in camping stuff. No one rents the "type" of equipment that would be suitable to fit on the back of a motorcycle.

I'm feeling the need to get a group camping trip together someplace. I know a really nice place in NC that me, Tytass and RT Jim looked at a couple years ago.

Anyone? Anyone? maybe 6 weeks after the UN before it starts getting too crappy to camp?

I'd be up for this only because I'd like to actually see what the Pro's use...

I'd be up for this only because I'd like to actually see what the Pro's use...

I'm no pro, but I have a set up that I have used on the back of my old RT and once on my GS.

I have a 3 man tent (8x8) purchased from sportsmans guide

I have slumberjack mummy bag good to about 30 degrees that I have used up to about 60 degrees.

I have a cheap air mattress and pump from wally world

I use a tarp from harbor freight for a footprint

I carry a nylon wally world folding chair

The highest end piece of gear that I carry is my jetboil PCS. I usually carry two cups so I can cook water in one while the coffee steeps in the other with the french press.

I love coffee in the campsite and don't mind bring a couple dehydrated breakfast meals or oatmeal and some dried fruit.

I'm thinking a run up to Suches, GA might be in order soon...

Although there's about 9 dozen other places I want to go camping too...

Check out Full Throttle Camping for motorcycle camping items.

That's where I shop, also a very good article on motorcycle camping and great advise.

I'm a very happy customer.

The owner is a regular on sdvrider.com and offers a discount to users of that site.

I haven't seen it directly mentioned yet, so I'll be the guy to ask.

Do you camp already? The reason I ask is this. I'm not a *huge* camping guy. I've done it before out of my car, and it is fun, but it's not something I do more than once or twice a year.

I bought a full rack of MC camping gear, spending a good bit of money. Several years ago, I did my first night of motorcycle camping, and absolutely hated it. I camped on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. The location was perfect. The experience, anything but. I just personally didn't care for it, mainly because I usually average 600 to 800 miles a day when I'm touring, and at the end of that day I didn't want to mess with setting up camp, etc.

I learned quickly that at the end of the day I want a hot shower, a cold beer, and a warm bed.

That probably makes me a big softie, but whatever, it's how I *personally* like to tour. I'm on vacation to enjoy myself, not to be annoyed at having to setup camp when I don't really want to camp.

Just something to consider.

Karen and I always camp.......

We did start using air matresses when we got older but they fail in such a dramatic and complete way.

So.....our tent(s) allow for standing to get dressed, although when using the smallest w3e just step outside to dress.

We have switched to Big Agness (full throttle) bags and pads and are the best choice I've discovered with 40 years camping experience.

A duel fuel stove (exponent)will allow you to use gasoline from your tank and eliminate the need for an extra fuel bottle.

Almost all of our trips are remembered by the folks met at the campground.

Bernie,

I'll see what I can do for a quick get away before it gets too hot this spring and maybe sneak a scouting/camping trip for the UN in there.

I haven't seen it directly mentioned yet, so I'll be the guy to ask.

Do you camp already? The reason I ask is this.

I'm not a *huge* camping guy.

I learned quickly that at the end of the day I want a hot shower, a cold beer, and a warm bed.

I'm on vacation to enjoy myself, not to be annoyed at having to setup camp when I don't really want to camp.

Just something to consider.

Valid points. I have never "bike" camped but I did camp a lot when the kids were younger. As I got older, my "tent" had A/C, a shower, TV, full kitchen and bathroom for those 3am nature calls.

However, while I don't plan on doing a lot of "bike" camping, I have noticed that a lot of the trips on BMOA and here, as well as my local club, do camp.

Did you wind up selling all your stuff?

Karen and I always camp.......

We did start using air matresses when we got older but they fail in such a dramatic and complete way.

So.....our tent(s) allow for standing to get dressed, although when using the smallest w3e just step outside to dress.

We have switched to Big Agness (full throttle) bags and pads and are the best choice I've discovered with 40 years camping experience.

A duel fuel stove (exponent)will allow you to use gasoline from your tank and eliminate the need for an extra fuel bottle.

Almost all of our trips are remembered by the folks met at the campground.

:thumbsup:on Big Agnes gear and Full Throttle Camping.

JR356

Too funny. I have been using my Svea stove since the 70's. I didn't realize they were still around. Mine has been batted around by a grizzly bear and generally abused for forty years. The trouble is it still works so well that I can't find a reason to replace it. Bryan

I couldn't travel without that stupid stove. In a pinch it works just fine on pump gas too. I have an old army canteen with the pan in the case and that pan holds just enough water for a cup of tea and a bowl of instant oatmeal in the morning with enough water left over to wash the bowl and spoon.

I have never used pump gas in my stove but good to know in case. I also have a nested pan set that the stove sits in. It includes a base for the stove, a wind screen that sits on the base and is used as the base for pots. It also includes two pots and a cover and a strap to hold everything together. All in a small light space. Even in the real cold I just prime the stove with a little white gas in the bowl and it fires right up. Overall the Svea stove works great for me. Bryan.

I have a small titanium nested pot set also but I keep all of my tea bags, salt and pepper, fold up spatula and such in the pots. As far as the pump gas any thing that uses white gas will work with pump gas but you have to be careful of the fumes from the additives in pump gas. My younger brother refuses to pay the price for Coleman fuel and pump gas is all he uses in his lanterns and stoves. I just carry a small aluminum fuel bottle with white gas and if I run out on the road I can always find somebody in a campground to sell me a fill up. Usually people will just give me a pint but I always offer to pay.

Jet boil is a nice stove but I just can't seem to get rid of my SVEA Climber.

http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/outdoor-equipment/backpacking-camping-hiking/stoves/optimus/PRD_77078_2959crx.aspx

I have an old SVEA. I returned my JetBoil and got one of these:

Snowpeak

3.75 ounces and fits in your shirt pocket.

Although, that is without the needed isobutane canister and foil windscreen.

Boils and simmers nicely.

Well, today I went to the BMW Tampa Bay Flea Market and came away with a Eureka tent and North Face sleeping Bag. They are both in excellent shape. The tent appears to be a one man tent with a little extra room for gear.

The seller said he had just sold an aluminum cot that he would sleep on. Got him off the ground and he didn't have to inflate or deflate it. Not sure what he was talking about but I would think a cot would be rather unwieldy.

So, for $40 I'm off to a start. I'm reviewing this thread to see what else I "gotta have".

I might be prepared for the camping ride up in Mt. Dora mid April.

Could be my first and last camping trip. If so, I know where you can get a tent and sleeping bag cheap! :grin:

I use one of these these along with a thermarest on top of it. Very comfortable but not inexpensive. I used one with a tubular steel frame with steel sprung legs prior to acquiring this one and it was just a comfortable but much more difficult to assemble/disassemble to I felt this was worth the extra money. It packs very small and light. I strap it on the passenger seat along with my thermarest and tent.

Roy :grin:

JR356

Big Agnes has several mattress models: self inflating, insulated etc., Any opinions on the self inflating versus the kind you have to pump up?

JR356

Big Agnes has several mattress models: self inflating, insulated etc., Any opinions on the self inflating versus the kind you have to pump up?

Actually I use the Exped Synmat DLX insulated same size pad in my BA hog park bag,like it for the self contained pump.They also make a Downmat pad,but it's $$ more and only a bit better

insulating value.

http://fullthrottlecamping.com/NONSelfInflatingSleepingPads/SynMat

JR356

First things first. Set up the tent at home in your yard first to be sure it has everything with it and you know where everything goes. You may want to consider a ground cloth (footprint) to go under the tent for condensation or leaks in rainy weather. Only things you need to add are a sleeping pad and a pillow or pillow substitute. When I was backpacking, my pillow substitute was stuffing extra clothes into my jacket sleeve. Carry a flashlight, maybe LED lantern or headband light for reading or chores at night; soap, towel, toothbrush and toothpaste, etc.; and some fire starters and bic lighter and whatever you want to do for a kitchen and meals. Lock up your food and snacks at night or you'll meet the local raccoons.

I'd suggest doing a trial run in your backyard in case you wake up with a stiff back or are miserable.

----

I would recommend a ground sheet, you can buy a cheap tarp for $5.00. Try to get one that is slightly smaller than your tent footprint. If you are camping in the mountains, I would buy some 9" tent pegs. Trying to get the smaller ones into the mountain gravel with stones can be tough. Campmor has a tent mallot (which I have) that I use to pound and pull the large stakes at mountain sites. Its light and works great.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26006

First things first. Set up the tent at home in your yard first to be sure it has everything with it and you know where everything goes.

When I was backpacking, my pillow substitute was stuffing extra clothes into my jacket sleeve. Brilliant!

I'd suggest doing a trial run in your backyard in case you wake up with a stiff back or are miserable.

----

Good idea. Tent up, washed the mummy sleeping bag, going to cut an old tarp to size and going to use a pool float air mattress (for now).

Told the wife I was moving out. She laughed. Threatened to turn on the sprinklers... :eek:

5485008745_0114a9a581_z.jpg

Make sure your groundcloth is smaller than the tent footprint.

Yep. Heard that a couple of times. Must be important for runoff.

If the groundcloth is bigger than your tent, it just acts as a funnel and routes water underneath your tent instead of keeping water away from the bottom...

Archived