IGNORED

Whose got the 411 on camping equipment designed for motorcycling?

FLrider

If you know a builder,or there is construction near you,see if you can snag a piece of Tyvek or similar house wrap.This stuff makes

a reasonable ground cloth.

If you have a local Craigslist,look under camping equipment,you

can likely find a Thermarest or other sleeping pad for cheap.

JR356

I use one of these.

Roy :grin:

Wow. That is slick..

I have one. Just a note, they DO NOT support the weight they claim to support. I'm not a small guy (250) and the plastic rings will bend on me if I move AT ALL on the cot during the night. Especially worse if the cot is NOT *completely perfectly* flat and level (not always so easy to do when camping).

They claim to support 325. I don't believe that all all. I'm going to try to send some of the rings back under warranty and see if they will replace them.

If you are lighter person this will no doubt work great. For me, having to wake up during the night and unbend the rings wasn't that great.

YMMV

That is a Luxury Lite Cot under a different name. There is a lifetime warranty on a Luxury Lite Cot from the manufacturer in Texas. I have heard of heavier people (I'm one too) who had a problem with the rings on earlier models of this cot and then contacted the manufacturer for a set of the newer rings and it was fine after that. Do a search for Luxury Lite or hit the link on my earlier post to take you to the company's web site. I also bought the additional rods to make it more stable for a heavier person and that seems to work well. I've read several posts that say the owner of the company is great to deal with and will do his best to make you happy. Good luck. Don

Thanks for the tip Don. I knew it was a Luxury Lite cot, but didn't know about the issues with the rings. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Much appreciate the info!

OK. Picked up the Thermarest Luxury something or other self inflating mattress pad. 3-4 " thick. Weighs about 4lbs. Got the cheapo camping chair, ground tarp, mess kit, single burner stove, small batt operated lantern, so I can avoid peeing on your tent when I wake up in the middle of the night because there's no BATHROOM to go to..

Good Lord. What have I done...

You guys better have some good campsite stories. I'll bring the Scotch.

In response to:

Poster: FLrider

Subject: Re: Whose got the 411 on camping equipment designed for motorcycling?

OK. Picked up the Thermarest Luxury something or other self inflating mattress pad. 3-4 " thick. Weighs about 4lbs. Got the cheapo camping chair, ground tarp, mess kit, single burner stove, small batt operated lantern, so I can avoid peeing on your tent when I wake up in the middle of the night because there's no BATHROOM to go to..

I have used Thermarest self inflating mattresses for years, excellent products. I would also consider a Petzl headlamp for use in and around the tent.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/headlamps/compact-tikka-2/tikka-xp

Last summer we were doing the Tons/Burgs Grand Tour (Glacial Lakes Motorcycle Club ) and decided to head to Kentucky/Illinois/Indiana for a week of riding and camping. This was in late August.

We were looking for a campground and saw a state park in Kentucky. Usually the state parks are PACKED in the summer and hard to get into, but as we figured it was the middle of the week we would take a shot at it.

We rolled into the campground and stopped at the entrance shack and inquired whether or not we could get a camping site for the night. The gal running the site laughed at the 4 of us and said "Surrrreeee..."

"Oh oh" we collectively thought.. "guess we need to go somewhere else". Then she said "Pick your site!". Welll.... apparently we did not know that Kentucky had started school that week. Turns out that other than ONE OTHER CAMPER, we had the entire place to ourselves. It was great. Like a giant private park.

And while state parks in Wisconsin are generally pretty darn nice (I've camped in most of them), this place was amazing. Great laundry facility (when you are packing light on a bike, laundry is wonderful), Great lake and beach, a fricken GOLF COURSE! (both mini and full size). We did go down the beach both days and spend some time swimming. Other than us, there wasn't a soul on the lake.

Usually camping I/we don't cook food. Too much stuff to carry. But we do bring coffee fixens and a stove to have coffee in the morning. Then we ride for a few hours and stop and get a late breakfast somewhere. Then dinner at night, which keeps it easy at 2 meals a day.

You'll have a blast! :)

Oh.. for those of you passing through Kentucky, here was the park. Great place...

Pennyrile State Park Map

Pennyrile State Park Website

Get a big gatorade bottle and you'll not have to go outside to pee... Just take the gatorade out first, thus guaranteeing you'll have to pee!

A great invention to take with you is the hat visor clip on light. Several great cheap ones out there now. Keeps your hand free and allows you to find things and work with your hands, while still avoiding those darn tent ropes and stakes. Especially nice to read with in the tent as well.

Archived