IGNORED

Engine Guards for R1200RT

Sandalwood

Looking for engine guards for 2010 R1200RT.

Have been looking at Wunderlich, Ztechnik and Touratech.

Would prefer avoiding removal for valve work, but more concerned about damage to engine from drop forces transmitted through guard to engine attachment points.

Is there one of the above that is superior for safe attachment points (frame)?

Any comments on fit & finish of the above 3 guards?

Stainless, chrome and powder coated...does one hold up better than the rest?

I had the Wunderlich's on my wifes R12RT. They were "tested" 3 or 4 times at zero-speed or very slow. The bars did not deflect or bend and protected the cylinder heads nicely. And it was not necessary to remove them when adjusting the valves.

Not sure about the others but I think I recall that one of them may require removal, and one of them may also decrease lean angle--which the Wunderlich's don't do.

As for the finish, the wunderlich's powder coat will chip--as opposed to solid stainless. But I would buy them again because of the plusses.

JOHNNYWISHBONE

these are the touratech. theoretically, they add to the structural integrity and anchors will sheer before bending the frame, etc. pricey.

DSC00248.jpg

Thanks to all for their input. It seems the more I find out, the less clear the choice is. :)

My understanding is that the BMW guards for the GS & GSA also have a cross brace similar to Wunderlich & Touratech, but lacking on the Ztechnik bars.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=52024&rnd=03192010

Go to section 46 on the parts list (Frame, fairing, cases) and scroll down until you see the engine guard diagram.

Touratech goes so far as to say...in most falls there is not such a great strain on the fastening screw thread and the engine housing remains intact - it would, of course, be a shame if the valve cover was protected but the engine housing destroyed

It would seem that the service manager has some "real world experience" and perhaps the cross brace piece is not as critical as Touratech (and Wunderlich) suggest.

JOHNNYWISHBONE
Are the Touratechs an easy install/removal for valve work?

service manager said removal not necessary. pricey, but i didn't care. this bike, in total, was quite expensive. had similar bars on a '77 r100/7. completely gutted the right side of a honda car. minimal cosmetic damage to the bike.

Archived