IGNORED

Poll: Extended use of tire plugs Yea or Nay

Jeepster

How You Use Tire Plugs  

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Background, So for the last three rear tires I've bought for my 1150RT all three have been punctured within the first 50% of their tread life.

The first tire received a gash from a piece of metal and the tire was replaced on the road.

The second tire was punctured by a nail and was plugged with sticky ropes and kept on the bike for another 5000 miles.

Yesterday I picked up another nail on a tire with less than 3000 miles on it. It also has been plugged with sticky rope. And seems to be holding fine.

This tire will be replaced by the time I leave for the Un_Rally but I would sure like to get more use from it.

Hopefully without causing flaming death and mayhem on the highways. :grin:

So I am wondering what most people would do.

Paul Mihalka

I voted "plug and ride to wear bars" but that applies only to clean round holes like a nail, that hopefully went in straight. If it is cut or tear, fix it if you can and ride it to the nearest place you can get a new tire.

I said plug it and head for the tire store. I'm erring on the side of caution, obviously, but since the bike only has two tires, I figure my safety is worth a whole lot more than the cost of a tire. If it were a car, that would be a different story.

I said ride to the wear bars but only after using a "plug-patch" where the 2 are all one piece and can not work its way out. Every sticky string I've ever used has *always* worked its way slowly out the hole---even when it didn't appear to be doing so, because the protruding part was being worn away by friction with the road. So it was alway nice and flush with the tire. Until the day it blew out. :eek:

I voted to Ride to the wear bars, but it sort of depends. If I'm on a trip, I'll finish the trip and keep an eye on it. Obviously, it also depends on how bad the puncture is. Probably will change it when I get home, I change my own tires and am too tight to purchase a tire at the closest dealer unless it's really bad. I've run plugged tires on cars with no problems so I really don't expect a problem with a motorcycle tire.

Steve

I said ride to the wear bars but only after using a "plug-patch" where the 2 are all one piece and can not work its way out..........

Same here.

Nice n Easy Rider

+1

I figure if I'm willing to spend all the money I do on a good helmet, good riding gear and more visible lighting on the bike, all for the sake of safety, replacing the tire seems pretty logical.

Ride it until the fear of catastrophe catches up with your confidence in the tire's integrity. It's a personal call specific to each patch.

Ride it until the fear of catastrophe catches up with your confidence in the tire's integrity. It's a personal call specific to each patch.

+1

Depends on the nature of the puncture, where I am, and where I'm going. No hard fast rules. I have put many thousands of miles on a Stop and Go plug. I have also had them fail within 10 miles.

Yup, if it's a clean puncture through the tread and not on the sidewall, or a slash AND I can dismount the tire from the rim and apply an internal patch, I will do so and run the tire until it is worn out. If I'm on the road or at the track, the tire gets replaced.

Thank you to all who voted and commented,

I had already decided to keep it on the bike till just before the Un-rally. But it seems like I'm not as crazy as I thought. :dopeslap:

Or at least I'm in pretty good company.

The current plug is in the recessed part of the tread and does not come in contact with the road. The nail hole was clean and fairly straight.

And the tire has not lost any air pressure since being plugged. Also while I was in the process of plugging this puncture,

I picked up a Slime tire inflator. Which makes roadside tire repairs much easier.

Now I will keep an eye out for tire sales. And maybe take another look at the Harbor Freight tire changer.

I had already decided to keep it on the bike till just before the Un-rally. But it seems like I'm not as crazy as I thought. :dopeslap:

Sorry, but this thread doesnt prove that!

:rofl:

My vote would be to replace the tire, but only for one reason. My wife rides on the back. Her life is worth more than mine.

If it's just me, I'd run it 'till I see cord showing :/

Sorry, but this thread doesnt prove that!

:rofl:

+1

Archived