IGNORED

Zumo 550 Install

akasjl

All, I finally broke down and purchased a Zumo 550. I have an '03 1150RT and would like to directly connect it to the battery. From the few posts I have read in a search of this forum, this should not be a problem since the unit is fused. I am not worried about battery drain since I will remove the unit when not riding. Just want to be certain before proceeding forward. TIA.

Mine has been directly connected to the battery since 2006. Works great. Best part is when you turn the bike off, you can still use it. Don't forget when your done for the day to power it down.

Zumo...best farkle ever.

It's got a battery. You can use it in GPS mode with the bike off (or with it off the bike) regardless of how it's wired.

GXM30 use requires bike power though so if you like to use it to listen to sat radio with the bike off this is a good point.

I saw something about how much current it draws, and as I recall the upshot was unless your battery is already old and in need of replacement, AND it's cold, AND you leave it on all night it's not going to kill your bike battery.

Archived