IGNORED

GPS Mount for 2011 R1200RT

Dirtmerchant

Dirtmerchant

I am looking for an efficient mounting system for a Zumo 550 on my '11 R12RT. I am fine with a RAM Ball but the GPS can't block the ignition or instrument panel. Needs to be relatively stable too. I know there are several systems that mount above the instrument panel but I do not want to disassemble the bike to install them; unless there is no other viable alternatives.

Ideas and photos are appreciated.

I have a ram mount that installs into one of the screws on the handlebars.. it is centered between the bars, the key is still very accessible, does not block the dash (Zumo 660) and I can still see it even with my BMW tankbag mounted.

realworld51
I have a ram mount that installs into one of the screws on the handlebars.. it is centered between the bars, the key is still very accessible, does not block the dash (Zumo 660) and I can still see it even with my BMW tankbag mounted.

+1

Ram Mount Web site link

I have the Migsel mount on my 2010 RT and love it. Positioned just above speedo/tach for a quick glance and easy to reach for adjustment. Installed by removing only the speedo/tach surround trim piece and replacing the 2 screws on top of dash with supplied replacements. Hard wired into GPS power plug on frame below center of bars using bmw adapter. Clean and efficient. I have the Zumo 660, YMMV.

I looked at the Migsel and liked that idea. I didn't like the price though. So, I had one built. I like the simple mount and it's much better than a RAM mount. I painted it after I took these pics, but don't have any current pics of it painted with the GPS on. It is drilled to take the mount for my Nuvi 550

961657055_s5yuy-M.jpg

961658382_YnqhK-M.jpg

Afternoon Hotrod

Here is a Zumo on an 1200 RT from the riders view, not quite the same dash as the 2011 but very close to the same. You can easily see the dash functions as well as see it over the tank bag

This is mounted on a simple RAM ball mount attached to one of the L/H handle bar retention bolts (see inset upper right).

One of the good things about mounting here is you can simply drop your helmet over it for short stops. The helmet covers the GPS from view (kind of out-of-sight-out-of-mind thing)

Zumo_1200.jpg

Dirtmerchant

I appreciate everyone sharing your experiences.

I like the simplicity of the RAM ball mounted to the on the bar bolts. This is basically the same arrangement I had on my former R12GS, I was worried that the ignition would be blocked by putting it there on the RT.... So, no one has a problem getting to the key????

367.jpg

Dirtmerchant

Another question

Is anyone using the plug with a RAM Ball that fits in to the cover over the steering head nut?

Yep.. I'm using that very plug. Sold by one of the board members. Jakfrost I believe. Looks pretty good. I've had it installed on the bike for 3 years and never had an issue with it being loose. You can use a longer RAM arm if you wish to move the GPS over to the side. I'm happy with mine....

Afternoon Hotrod

Early on I machined up a plug with a RAM ball to go into that recess for the steering head nut. I didn’t like it as it centered the ball dead center so I was stuck with the GPS height of either the short RAM clamp or the long RAM clamp if I wanted to keep the GPS centered. Neither placed the Zumo at the correct height to both see the computer screen and see over the tank bag (I presume rider head height is the variable here). It also interfered with my access to remove the key with gloves on.

Personally I am much happier with the off-set ball as that allows the GPS height to be moved any place I wish with either the long or short RAM clamp. It also allows me easier key access. I wouldn’t trade the off-set ball I have now for a centered one.

Te key access is tight but I have no problems with heavy gloves as it is just a little reach around the GPS to get to it. I do find it easier to insert the key before I get on the bike but otherwise no big deal.

GPStoKey.jpg

I've really liked my Co-Pilot Shelf from BMR Products. It's a quality product that costs more than some others, however I've never regretted it. My Zumo looks perfect on it and it's very stable.

I had the RAM ball mounted in the same place...at first.

After moving it to the right handlbar (closest to the BMW Roundel), I found the following:

A) Key access is easier. Perhaps because the mount is a bit further away from the keyhole and I can get to it easier from the left side of the bike.

B) I can more easily run the power wire through the little cable thingy on the right side of the bike.

NOTE: I'm using the short RAM arm and am also using the GPS access point at the front of the bike for power access.

• 2 weeks later...
Dirtmerchant

I went with this setup and like it well so far.

NEW QUESTIONS,

I was going to get a factory Tank Bag; will the GPS mount in this location interfere with the Tank Bag?

Will I be able to see and access the GPS with the Tank Bag on using the SHORT RAM Arm?

Thanks,

Rodney

GPStoKey.jpg

Morning Rodney

That probably depends on your upper body height and if the ball is on a short arm or just the ball in place of one of the bar attachment bolts.

I am about 6’1” with average upper body to leg length and have no problems seeing the GPS over the factory tank bag and seeing the dash computer screen (if you look at the factory bag it drops away in the front).

As far as using the buttons on the GPS? No problems there either as I just lay my arm on the tank bag and push the buttons or drag on the screen. It is a bit of a reach but being able to rest your arm on the tank bag is almost better than trying to push the correct button with a high mounted GPS with your arm bouncing all over the place.

If using the ball directly in one of the bar bolt holes (like the picture above mine) you won’t get by with a short arm clamp from the ball to the GPS base. If you use a 1” ball on a short arm that will allow centering the GPS and getting the height you need using the short clamp.

ramb272.jpg

Hotrod, I have a similar "base" as what you are showing, and mine is by RAM but I can't find it on their website. But it is a flat plate with a hole in it to mount to the handlebars (like yours shown) approx 1 1/2 long by maybe 3/4 wide and then the RAM ball sticks straight up. I did not use any spacer, just used a longer hex screw and the plate of the base itself just is held tight to the bars.. it is powder coated metal.

dirtrider

What are you using for a space to use this mount?

ramb272.jpg

Afternoon Hotrod

I am using a stainless steel spacer I made from ½” OD stainless with a hole drilled through the center on my lathe.

A piece of brass pipe cut to length will work as well as about any pipe or tubing that will fit in the bar depression and has a hole in it that will fit the bolt. (if not stainless, aluminum, or brass you will have to paint it to prevent rust)

Take a bolt to your local auto parts store or hardware store-- I’ll bet they will find you something that will work but you will probably have to cut it to length.

Ram Mounts That Will Work- Click Link

1. RAM Mount Aluminum Small Motorcycle Mount Base with 11mm Hole and 1 inch Ball

P/N: RAM-B-252U

That's the one I'm using, without a spacer... but I may look for one.

Fund my spacer:

I found a piece of 1/2 gas pipe bib.. cut flush on on end and at an angle on the other to keep the ball mount "square" to the ground. Then I'll paint with black Rustoleum.

Done already... I actually found a piece of 1/2 OD stainless used on a prior bike project! Took about 5 minutes to complete the job.

dirtrider

Evening Phil

You need your spacer square on both ends so the bolt and bolt head are at the same angle as the spacer or it won’t pull down evenly on the ball arm. No reason the ball arm needs to be square to the ground as the ball is round so the angle it sits at doesn’t matter.

Damn... your right DR. I cut it at an angle but it kinda worked okay because of the size of the hole on the RAM mount I used.. The piece has an 11 mm hole vs. the other one that has a "tighter" hole. (Ahem...) allowed the mount to "twist" a bit..

However... I may just cut a flush square piece.

Check out cycle gadgets.mine is for a zummo and mounts in the middle of the bars, metal locking cradle

Unfortunately, cycle gadgets.com is out of business.

I just finished the install of the Wunderlich mount on my 2011 RT this is what I have used on the other RTs that I have owned.

I was feeling really good until I found that the elic. Plug taped to the frame bracket is now different than the ones on 05 to 2009.

Any one else run into this, and what was your solution ?

dirtrider

Afternoon Tim

I’m not familiar with the 2011RT but can’t believe they would change it. Are you sure you didn’t find the plug for the second horn? Horn would be a 2 wire plug.

I have a 2010 and the GPS/accessory plug is the same, (3 wire) and a friend has a 2011 and it was the same.

Dirtmerchant
I just finished the install of the Wunderlich mount on my 2011 RT this is what I have used on the other RTs that I have owned.

I was feeling really good until I found that the elic. Plug taped to the frame bracket is now different than the ones on 05 to 2009.

Any one else run into this, and what was your solution ?

Keep looking, I just moved Garmin Zumo 550 M/C Cradle which had the Repair Plug from my 2005 R1200GS to my 2011 R1200RT and it worked.

EDIT: You may want to check out this LINK

Thanks guys. I will keep looking.

Has anyone found the spare horn plug on a 2011? If so , is it still on the left side ?

What are the other two plugs taped to the ctr brace? This is on an audio equipped model.

I definitely think one is for the audio... Not quite sure what the other is.. I was over my friends tonight looking at those exact plugs on his 2011 with audio.. He has three plugs on the CTR brace.

One was definitely the GPS plug as he has the factory BMW GPS mount..

Archived