IGNORED

Front Tire Options -- Advice Needed

Selden

At 80,000 miles, I fitted a set of Pirelli Diablos on my 99 RT. Due to a freak accident, the rear tire was destroyed by a gigantic oak splinter last fall, and I now have a Michelin PR2 on the back with about 4000 miles on it, and the Diablo is still on the front, with about 8000 miles. Looking at the tread on the front tire in Delaware 2 days ago, I thought it would be toast by the time I got back to Atlanta, but to my surprise, it's probably got another thousand miles left. Because of the mismatch in mileage between the two tires, I don't want to spend a lot on the replacing the front; rather, put something on, and when the rear is worn out, replace both.

The place I usually go to outside Dahlonega has the following 120/70 ZR 17 front tires on clearance sale:

Bridgestone BT020 $83.50

Conti-force $84.00

Dunlop Roadsmart $99.50

Metzeler Sportec M3 $95.00

Pirelli Diablo Rosso $110.00

Within the constraints described above, which would you choose?

So, I got motivated and searched the archives. I'm going to go with the Roadsmart, based on comments that it is quiet and turns in quickly. Given the number of miles on the rear, tread life is not an issue.

And I'll never use another set of them.

Odd wear, more instability in the wind, more rocking behind semis at speed, less confidence on curves.

Granted, this on a GT but 7 sets of Z 6's and never had one iota of these problems.

YMMV.

Archived