IGNORED

New Tire Changer? Harbor Freight No Longer Available

CarrotNC

Does anyone know of a replacement for the Harbor Freight tire changer? Turns out the old one is no longer available. Buddy borrowed mine tonight and wants to replicate the setup in his shop too, but now we don't know what to do.

Any ideas short of building one?

Wow....that sucks. Have you asked at a store, or just see that it is no longer offered online?

You can always resort to a milk crate and a tie down strap. I have changed dozens of dirtbike tires like that. You just have to figure out how to securely mount the milk crate to something. A couple of carriage bolts into a low work bench or piece of plywood always worked for us. Not pretty, but it got the job done.

...Have you asked at a store, or just see that it is no longer offered online?...

Online, both the changer base (item #34542) and the motorcycle adapter (item #42927) are discontinued. Called my closest branch of Harbor Freight and they have the base, but not the adapter. And they have no plans to try and get more of any of those items since they're discontinued. Arrrrrrgh.

Been using mine for a couple years, along with the brilliant Mojolever and Mojoblocks, and a Marc Parnes balancer. Buddy had been using a milk crate and spoons for years, until I finally took all my stuff to his house yesterday and forced him to try it. He nearly cried at how easy it was! So now he's on the hunt for a duplicate setup. Looks like he might have a No-Mar in his future.

If he's close enough that you took your equipment to his house, why does he need his own equipment? I would think that a deal involving your favorite beverage could be struck!

If he's close enough that you took your equipment to his house, why does he need his own equipment? I would think that a deal involving your favorite beverage could be struck!

Made the offer a couple times to let him borrow it, but he won't agree. Said he felt guilty about the demo but I had a blast, and told him so. It's just fun to wrench after a week in the office. He even "paid" with steaks on the grill and a couple hours of bike talk! Took over two years to finally convince him to at least see the changer in action and now that he has, he's got to have one. I understand the mentality when it comes to tools, there are few things like having your own -- but a specialized unit like this is one I'd gladly timeshare. And I'll continue to offer the use until he finds his own changing rig.

go find Mitch (member of this board) he basically makes/sells the top half of the harbor freight unit, but much nicer build quality. His unit is more mobile and intended for mating to a bench, but I am sure it can be mated to most any appropriate setup. Have your friend check out Mitch's set up. the perfect price/value combination

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

Joe Frickin' Friday
Have your friend check out Mitch's set up. the perfect price/value combination

Oh sure, maybe it was the perfect price/value combo for my customers, but what about me? :grin:

You're talking about the Mojostand, which I don't make anymore. I did a batch of 20 in 2005, and found that the price I was selling them for didn't justify the time/effort I was putting into making them. In 2007 I revised the design so they were easier to make and cranked out another batch of 20. I also raised the price, but I found the margin still wasn't acceptable for something I was doing in my spare time, so I haven't made any since then.

russell_bynum

Oh sure, maybe it was the perfect price/value combo for my customers, but what about me? :grin:

You're talking about the Mojostand, which I don't make anymore. I did a batch of 20 in 2005, and found that the price I was selling them for didn't justify the time/effort I was putting into making them. In 2007 I revised the design so they were easier to make and cranked out another batch of 20. I also raised the price, but I found the margin still wasn't acceptable for something I was doing in my spare time, so I haven't made any since then.

Dang.

They can have my mojostand/mojolever when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands. :Cool:

Lone_RT_rider

Dang.

They can have my mojostand/mojolever when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands. :Cool:

Amen brother. They can steal anything else out of my garage (ok, maybe not my R1100RT), but don't take my mojo! :)

Mitch

I wonder how many of us would be willing to buy, at a price that makes it worth your while to make another batch of 20? Guess the answer would have to be based on what that price might be. Any interest in polling?

We have a used HF unit sitting in our garage. Replaced it last year with a No-Mar. PM me if your friend is interested. Shipping to your neck of the woods could be a PITA. . .

We have a used HF unit sitting in our garage. Replaced it last year with a No-Mar. PM me if your friend is interested. Shipping to your neck of the woods could be a PITA. . .

Thanks for the offfer, have to wait and see what he does. Remember it took TWO YEARS to finally show him my rig in action! And since we put tires on both is FJR and VFR it'll be a while before he's in need of tires again. In other words, I wouldn't hold out my hopes in the short term.

I am not taking any chances. I bought a second lever and it stays locked up as a spare. :rofl:

However I did buy my Nomar before Mitch created his changer unit so I do not get a chance to "rob" mitch on that item

:grin:

I can't figure out how to attach a photo, but I made one using some scrap 2 inch steel tube and some angle. It mounts in the receiver hitch on my truck and breaks down into 4 pc for easier storage. I welded most of it, but it could be bolted together. It works really well with a mojolever.

Once I figure it out, I'll try to post a picture.

+1 for Da Mojo set up. I don't own one but have used one many times. I do own the HB with Mojo blocks and mojobar... have used that a few times as well. I'm convinced that its all about learning the technique. (AND most importantly! not forgetting said technique in between tire changes, DAMHIK)

+1 for Da Mojo set up. I don't own one but have used one many times. I do own the HB with Mojo blocks and mojobar... have used that a few times as well. I'm convinced that its all about learning the technique. (AND most importantly! not forgetting said technique in between tire changes, DAMHIK)

And observing the tire rotation arrow.....

• 11 months later...

The Harbor Freight unit is no longer in our possession.

Archived