IGNORED

1100RT electric/battery question

Duane n Oregon

Duane n Oregon

I have a '97 R1100RT and I have a question about charging my toys while it sits overnight on multi-day trips. I have a cell phone, iPod, and intercom that I use most of the time I am on the bike. I usually keep something plugged in/charging while I ride, but sometimes need to charge something in a campground at night with no electricity.

I don't know much about how these things work. If I put my phone or iPod on the charger all night, will this cause a drain on the battery that will be a problem in the morning? I have considered doing this in my garage at night to test it, but I assumed there are people here who are way smarter than me and can advise.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information!

The answer is "it depends" but obviously you understand that you ARE draining the battery charging the accessories while the bike sits and its battery isn't being replenished in return. Many variables here, from the draw of the charger to the condition and capacity of your current motorcycle battery. You should definitely experiment before trying this in the field, and were it me, I wouldn't do it. Why bother? If it doesn't work, you're stuck on a campground. If it does work, you haven't solved that much, as you should be able to charge all day as you ride anyway without an issue.

-MKL

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I've given this some thought before a trip last year. I decided that if I was going to charge, I was going to pick a campsite on the top of a slope and try my luck at bump starting the bike should the worst come to pass. If I had given it more thought, I would have brought a flask of something tasty to use as barter/thanks for an extra push from a campsite neighbor. :thumbsup:

Alternatively, there are some car/bike USB multiport plugs out there if your tankbag has room. I suppose you could also take one of those and wire it into one of the side or top cases and charge in onr of the cases while riding.

Archived