IGNORED

New RT tires being installed by Yamaha dealer, should I be worried?

ryan_a1982

I called the local BMW dealer last week and left a message. I said I wanted to schedule an apt for this wednesday to get tires installed. I got a call after hours friday night saying to call back.

Didn't know they weren't open on sunday or monday so I couldn't get in touch over the weekend. Called today and they are booked. I explained that I wanted the tires to go out of town on thursday through the weekend. No luck, he said they are booked out a week in advanced.

I called the local large Yamaha dealer and explained to the service guy my situation (without mentioning calling BMW dealer first) and he said he is totally booked but if I get my bike in there first thing in the AM he will have all day with it and will get the tires changed on the down time.

I thought that was pretty cool and I told him that. My only worry is the tire pressure monitoring system. He should know how to deal with that during the install right? That is the only thing that worries me. I will mention it to him.

Firefight911

You should be fine. As you said, just let him know that you have TPMS in there so the techs don't put any tools too far in that could catch a sensor. There is nothing to be done with or to them during a change.

Only other concern is the balancing of your rear if they don't have the BMW adapter for the wheel. Worst case scenario is a trip without the rear being balanced. Not a big deal.

Make sure they use the correct torque numbers if they are putting the wheels on the bike. 60nm

Thanks Phil.

I will mention to them about the 60nm torque. Hopefully the tire will be balanced, I would hate to take more time to run to roseville and have that completed.

I will quit bitching about time now...I believe you have put in your fair share of running to that area, for more than just bikes!

Afternoon Ryan

A couple of points to maybe inform them on;

There is a wheel speed sensor on the front that they have to be very careful not to damage when they roll the wheel in and out. I doubt they have much experience with the BMW front wheel to sensor (maybe just a gentle reminder from you)

Another possible difference in the BMW over what they are use to working on is: when the front wheel is reinstalled the attachments are to be left slightly loose then the front suspension jounced up and down a couple of times before final torquing the axle and pinch bolts.

They probably won’t have a BMW manual so you might print out the front axle and front axle pinch bolt torques so that have a clue on not over-tightening those attachments.

Also if you don’t want your front wheel paint dinged up you might go over with them the fact that front calipers will not simply lift off the rotors (they’ll hit the inside of the wheel). They need to protect the front wheel (rag or tape or even a folder newspaper ) above the calipers then tilt the caliper with force to open the brake pads before the caliper will wiggle up off the rotors and clear the wheel. (again they probably don’t run into this on other bikes)

I presume this is on your 1200RT? If so they will probably have to loosen the muffler and swing it out to clear the rear tire to get the wheel out. You might tell them they don’t have to completely remove it, just swing it away from the wheel.

Firefight911
In the future you could just make an appointment at my place (both of you guys)....

True! And don't think I won't be calling on you for this.....just as soon as I have a bike to ride and not one I go the the shop and back with. :) Of course, they have only had it since the 8th of April THIS go around so, really, what's the big deal?

Deadboy,

You have any time tomorrow? I could always come by in the evening... or late afternoon. I can bring tempting food, beverage or something of the like.

There is a wheel speed sensor on the front that they have to be very careful not to damage when they roll the wheel in and out. I doubt they have much experience with the BMW front wheel to sensor (maybe just a gentle reminder from you)

Another possible difference in the BMW over what they are use to working on is: when the front wheel is reinstalled the attachments are to be left slightly loose then the front suspension jounced up and down a couple of times before final torquing the axle and pinch bolts.

They probably won’t have a BMW manual so you might print out the front axle and front axle pinch bolt torques so that have a clue on not over-tightening those attachments.

Also if you don’t want your front wheel paint dinged up you might go over with them the fact that front calipers will not simply lift off the rotors (they’ll hit the inside of the wheel). They need to protect the front wheel (rag or tape or even a folder newspaper ) above the calipers then tilt the caliper with force to open the brake pads before the caliper will wiggle up off the rotors and clear the wheel. (again they probably don’t run into this on other bikes)

I presume this is on your 1200RT? If so they will probably have to loosen the muffler and swing it out to clear the rear tire to get the wheel out. You might tell them they don’t have to completely remove it, just swing it away from the wheel.

Spot on DR.

You also could remove the wheels and bring them to the Yamaha dealer.

Bikes in the shop. He said he has worked on BMW's but I am being charged $130!!! I guess that's what I get for needing them tomorrow. I really need to do this myself.

D.R. - I spoke with them about the topics you mentioned. I also gave them the owners manual for specs.

Thanks!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Ryan

Cycle gear usually has quick turnaround if you get there in the morning right at opening. I usually just sit on the couch out in front, curl up with what looks like a homeless guys sleeping bag and they seem to get the change done right quick like!

Ryan

Cycle gear usually has quick turnaround if you get there in the morning right at opening. I usually just sit on the couch out in front, curl up with what looks like a homeless guys sleeping bag and they seem to get the change done right quick like!

Problem with Cycle Gear is that they will not remove wheels from bike.

On the other hand if you brought it to Roseville Yamaha your in good hands. I usually bring them the wheels off of the bike but once I had the K12RS in and they treated it well. They also have great prices on their tires.

You also could remove the wheels and bring them to the Yamaha dealer.

+1. Whenever possible, I pull the wheels myself, and using tape or a black marker, indicate the direction of rotation with arrows on the rims. A Honda dealer once mounted a front tire backwards, and when I called about it, said to bring it back, and he would fix the problem -- and had the gall to try to charge me an extra $40 to correct his mistake. I won that argument, but, other than road trip emergencies, it was the last time I ever let a dealer pull a wheel and mount a tire.

Peter, good idea. I am not sure how to take the wheels off yet without causing issues. I don't have a stand. So if the wheels are off is a milk crate or two sufficient enough to take the load off the front and rear? Do I need specific stands.

Troy...happy belated birthday and thanks for the piece of mind that Roseville Yamaha are OK. I have heard good things about their tire prices and I hope they install my tires ok. I really want to ride this weekend.

I really need to learn the best way to get my wheels off and tires changed. $130 each time is not the way I plan on saving some $$.

-Ryan

$130?!? Wow....

Tomorrow would be tough (mom is visiting) but next time lets just try to plan ahead so you can spend your $$ on better things. Wheels off is best but it is really not a big deal either way.

Deadboy,

Thanks for the offer. I will surely get ahold of you next time. Where exactly is West Slope, CA? Would that be the west slope of the Sierra, or west slope of the coast range? Or is it west slope of the Trinities?

Sorry, I guess being a geologist I think of a lot of west slopes.

Can't wait to learn how to change a bike tire. Now I just need to ride a quick 9-10K miles so I need a new, new set of tires.

CoarsegoldKid

Yes.

A: They don't know the correct torque, trust me.

B: They have been known to use thread locker, trust me.

C: They won't be able to balance the tire even if they said they did.

D: They won't know the proper air pressure.

A & B are of most concern. C & D you can correct later.

CoarsegoldKid,

Thanks for the input. I will see if they used thread locker. I will check the torque spec (I gave it to them) and I will adjust the tire pressure to my 37 front / 42 rear that was recommended for 2 up + luggage ( this sound right?).

After earlier comments I have comments I have come to grips with the fact that I may need to get a balancing.

Also,

I really wanted to make the ride at your place last weekend. My wife was down in that area with her mom taking wild flower pics in Yosemite. I had the weekend to ride, but there would have been pieces of me all over the place if I tried to ride on my tires as they were. I'm glad to hear the event was a success. Next year!

russell_bynum
Yes.

A: They don't know the correct torque, trust me.

B: They have been known to use thread locker, trust me.

C: They won't be able to balance the tire even if they said they did.

D: They won't know the proper air pressure.

A & B are of most concern. C & D you can correct later.

For what it's worth...I don't balance my tires. I've mounted dozens of street, dirt, and race tires and never balanced them. I've had my track bike to 160mph on the banking at Fontana. No issues. Tens of thousands of miles on the street bikes at speeds from 0 to ...err...um....the legal speed limit, officer. No issues. Dunlop. Metzler. Michelin. Pirelli. Avon. Bridgestone. No issues. Pilot Road. Pilot Power. Pilot race. BT-020. BT-014. MEZ4. MEZ6. Qualifier. D208. D208GP. Diablo Corsa. No issues.

My theory is that the tires are pretty well balanced from the factory these days. So...you get the rim balanced once, you don't have to do it again unless you lose a wheel weight or make some major change to the rim.

For what it's worth I have a balancer and the proper adapter. Despite the claims of some on this site the reality of the situation is you should balance your tires and I'd be happy to help you do it.

I am not sure how to take the wheels off yet without causing issues. I don't have a stand. So if the wheels are off is a milk crate or two sufficient enough to take the load off the front and rear? Do I need specific stands.

You should learn how to properly take the wheels on and off. It really isn't difficult. Bringing the wheels to a dealer on the way to work and pick them up on the way home. 10-15 minutes to get both wheels off.

Worrying about the proper safe lifting is a good thing to worry about. For me, I put the bike on the center stand and use a strap to hold the center stand from ever folding back up. That allows me to remove the rear wheel. Lifting the front is rather easy when on the center stand. I usually strap it to rafter just above my bike (I park in a shed, not a garage) for safety sake. Then block it under the engine. A while back, I read somewhere where someone had his bike topple over night due to the use of a hydralic bottle jack, which slowly creaped down til his bike fell. SO, please avoid that.

russell_bynum
For what it's worth I have a balancer and the proper adapter. Despite the claims of some on this site the reality of the situation is you should balance your tires and I'd be happy to help you do it.

Why?

russell_bynum
LOL.....I have zero interest in debating this, your mind is made up and that is fine with me.

It's a reasonable question.

I've got my own opinion which is from my experience. To be honest, I was shocked when I discovered that it didn't seem to make any difference, but that is indeed what I discovered. If I don't seem to be suffering from any vibration, early tire wear, abnormal tire wear, indigestion, bad breath, erectile dysfunction, dry mouth, etc then why is it so important to do it?

Have I just been lucky? (Dozens of times across multiple makes and models of tires on multiple different bikes??) Is there some problem going on that I just haven't noticed?

If there's a good reason to do it, then let's hear it.

Got the bike back! I can't believe how amazing it feels with the PR3's. I can't believe how effortless slow speed maneuvering is now. I had no idea tires would change that, I just thought that was how the RT felt.

Thumbs up for Roseville Yamaha. They fit me in on a tight schedule, my TPMS still works, rims aren't scratched and they balanced the front wheel (maybe both, but the front has new additional weights). I do recommend them. Price is a bit high for the mounting when you bring them wheels on the bike. But I really needed this done today and they made it happen.

I have never encountered a new tire that didn't feel like a tremendous improvement over an old, worn, oddly profiled tire.That said, I suspect that a pair of PR3s is in my future.

CoarsegoldKid

Also,

I really wanted to make the ride at your place last weekend. ... I'm glad to hear the event was a success. Next year!

Already on the BMWST calendar for next year.

cali_beemer
In the future you could just make an appointment at my place (both of you guys)....

Its where I go for tires...... :grin: So far the customer service has been great. However, dont complain to the guy putting the tire on and ask for the manager...LOL :thumbsup:

Nick has helped me with tires many times. I order them online and save hundreds, and then save more by not having to pay for a shop to mount them. I bought the bridgestone BT023 dual compunds for my RT and paid 200 for them shipped. Buying at a shop paying retail with labor would have been around $500.

Dead boy if your offer to do tires at your place is open, i would love to have you show me. I'm about 1500 miles left on my tires. I live in Vallejo so not to far.

Ryan when i remove my wheeels I use a small jack under the engine, remove the front and then put the front thru bolt back in and a jack stand under it. Lower the bike on to it and its very stable.

Ok I'm liking the idea of doing my own tires, so 2 questions, where online is good

and what do I do with the old ones?

thanks

Miguel

I have a slow leak in my rear tire. It looses about 6 psi or so every 24 hours. This is a pain in my ass. I assume that the guys that mounted the tire slightly wrong?

I am going to give them a call and see if they can fix them.

On the other hand, I now have about 700 miles on the tires and they rock! They are great, I rode them in the rain, on wet roads and roads with snow to the white lines with pumice on the rode for snow removal. They did great.

CoarsegoldKid

If you could just check the valve it might be slightly loose. I knew there was a reason I mounted my own tires. Or a nail got you.

russell_bynum
Ok I'm liking the idea of doing my own tires, so 2 questions, where online is good

thanks

Miguel

Good question about the old tires. Officially you can't just throw them away, so if you're worried about the garbage police, that's out.

I forget the specifics, but if you cut them up in smaller pieces, then you can throw them away. Bolt cutter for the bead and a sawzall for the carcass works. (but it won't smell very good)

I know some peeps who worked out a deal with a local tire place or dealership to just drop them off.

I tend to save them up for a while and then cut them all to shreds in an orgy of sawzall whine and burning rubber stench.

It's been a while since I bought street bike tires, But the last time I did, these guys were great: http://www.swmototires.com/

russell_bynum
I have a slow leak in my rear tire. It looses about 6 psi or so every 24 hours. This is a pain in my ass. I assume that the guys that mounted the tire slightly wrong?

On the other hand, I now have about 700 miles on the tires and they rock! They are great, I rode them in the rain, on wet roads and roads with snow to the white lines with pumice on the rode for snow removal. They did great.

Soapy water will help you find the leak. Probably the valve stem/core like Coursegolddood said, but I had one that leaked because I didn't clean the rim where the bead seats. There was some debris on the rim that was preventing a good seal. (I had to break the bead to clean it. Major pain in the ass.. Lesson learned.)

Firefight911

My bet is either the valve core or the bead is dirty. Make me choose and I'm on the bead side of the bet.

Cleaning the bead is an important mostly overlooked item.

Of course, a thorough check of the tread for a finishing nail or the like is also in order.

Paul Mihalka

Don't do anything until you KNOW where it is leaking. A 6 psi/day leak is visible under soapy water. Few weeks ago I had a similar slow leak. Just looking didn't find anything. With soapy water I found the leak, something like the tip of a Exacto knife buried in the tire. Good thing was that the tire only had about 1000 miles left.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Good question about the old tires. Officially you can't just throw them away, so if you're worried about the garbage police, that's out.

I know some peeps who worked out a deal with a local tire place or dealership to just drop them off.

For a long time I've been dropping off my used bike tires at a local car tire shop; they charge $3 apiece to take them. This weekend I dropped off a pair of used tires at the local motorcycle shop, and they didn't charge at all. :thumbsup:

CoarsegoldKid

thanks

I contacted my county hazardous waste manager. He now contacts me by email when and where a disposal collection for tires will be in the foothills of Madera county. The collection is free. I take in 10 or more at a time. A permit to haul more than 9 tires is mandatory however and it is free. I don't quite understand it but the fine for not having the permit is tens of thousands of dollars if the law catches you.

russell_bynum

thanks

I contacted my county hazardous waste manager. He now contacts me by email when and where a disposal collection for tires will be in the foothills of Madera county. The collection is free. I take in 10 or more at a time. A permit to haul more than 9 tires is mandatory however and it is free. I don't quite understand it but the fine for not having the permit is tens of thousands of dollars if the law catches you.

LOL. California.

Archived