IGNORED

Does a black Roadcrafter leave you feeling hot?

blackyam

Hi. I'm thinking of replacing my red Roadcrafter 2-piece with another, but this time I'm thinking of getting a yellow top and black bottom. My question is, If you have a black Roadcrafter, do you find it to feel especially hot (in the summer, e.g., in the southwest U.S.)? Would I be better off going with a lighter color? Thanks.

---John.

Had black Aerostich Darien pants but found them too warm for Central CA and southwest riding.

Switched to Firstgear HT AIR pants with removable waterproof liner,they are good for three season plus use here in the west.

Use Forcefield armor underneath so not worried about any loss of protection that the Aero Dariens used to provide.

Recently bought Olympia Xmoto convertible pants to go with my Xmoto jacket and Olympia GT AIR transition jacket.Xmoto gear is sturdier than the FirstGear stuff and should vent well.

Olympia also make some well ventilated more street oriented pants(Airglide 3)with removable liner that come in a medium gray that would be cooler than the black.

Consider getting the Roadcrafter pants in gray with black ballistics,if you want to stay with them.

That combo still would look good with the Yellow jacket with grey or black ballistics.

Like the darker ballistics as it hides the dirt that you get from either kneeling down or resting your elbows on tabletops,chairs,etc.

JR356

JR356, thanks for your reply. I appreciate your sharing your experience. I've ridden in my red Roadcrafter in the summer in the Calif central valley and the southwest (e.g., through DV in Aug). It's a little hot in it, to be sure, but bearable. I was hoping that a black bottom would be OK, too, but I believe what you say about black perhaps being too hot. (I surely wouldn't get a black top because of the summer heat here.) As you suggested, I was thinking about getting a yellow top and gray bottom, but the Aerostich site shows on sale (at a good price) only a black bottom in my size; all the other colors on sale are not in my size.

But I'm still hopeful (or just engaging in wishful thinking). Does anyone think a black bottom would not be so bad after all? Please convince me! Thanks.

---John.

I have the Olympia Airglide 3 pant with a removable waterproof liner. I have the black ones and have ridden in 100+ degrees temperatures. They vent well.

I have a black 1-piece RC. It gets really warm in the summer, even with the vents open. Not so bad when moving, but if you have to stop on a hi humidity/hi temp day you may wish you picked something cooler. If the ride doesn't involve many stops or real hot days you're probably ok.

CoarsegoldKid
Does anyone think a black bottom would not be so bad after all? Please convince me! Thanks.

---John.

No I can't.

I have a blue Roadcrafter with black ballistic coverings. The black is significantly hotter to the touch in the hot sun. I wouldn't even get black ballistics if I often road in really high temps.

When I got my Roadcrafter 2-pc about 15 years ago, I was concerned about a black suit in the hot sun. Looks 'cool' but that's a different kind of 'cool'. So I got the gray suit (with red patches) Without some side-by-side comparisons I can't say the gray is less hot, and only part of the heat you feel is from solar heating anyway. If I were getting a RC today, I'd go for the high-viz yellow. That color must be reflecting more sunlight. And safety trumps appearance for me.

pete

malcolmblalock

I have the yellow (not sure if it was "Hi Viz"; it's dingy now after 100K miles. But I can tell a significant difference between that and a gray mesh Olympic suit bought a couple of years ago. To the touch, the Roadcrafter is much cooler than the grey mesh. But at speed, the mesh is much better in hotter weather.

I pretty-much refuse to buy black. It's much too hot for me...

OK, y'all have convinced me: No black, not even the ballistics. Unfortunately, there isn't a lighter color in my size on sale now, so I may have to cough up full price if one doesn't come up. But then my I've been wearing my current Roadcrafter for over ten years, and I hope I will do the same with a new one. Thanks everyone.

---John.

I wore black Motoport Cordura pants for years. Yep, they got a bit hot in summer but by the time my bottom is uncomfortable my top (head) is dying so it was a minor issue.

You know they refresh/refurbish older suits, right?

Good luck.

Another vote for higher albedos.

Hi, Tim. Yes, I know that Aerostich service their suits. I did think about that, but after 10+ years with my suit, I feel it's time for a new suit that will last until I take off my helmet for the last time. (Mine's pretty frayed around the cuffs and shows other signs of wear.) Thanks for the suggestion. :-)

(Btw, I had to look up "albedos." I agree.) :-D

---John.

Archived