IGNORED

Question on Map Update - Zumo 550

Jim Miller

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that was purchased new in 2006. I installed the latest operating software last night in preparation for updating the map database (lifetime option) from the Garmin website. I purchased the update, but got an error message saying I didn't have the freespace to download the entire North American update. In turn, I selected the Eastern NA option, which was still 1919MB. The transfer quit sometime during the night, so I retried this morning, choosing the (presumably smaller) Eastern Lower 48 database (710MB). Does the update overwrite the installed map base, or must I delete that file to make room for the update? Part of my issue may be due to my internet connection - it's by radio wave, and the connection speed isn't always 100%. Plus, I'm on a Mac system at home. I'd like to get the entire North American map base in there, but it appears for some reason, that's not going to happen for me. What other transfer options are there? Any ideas?

Yup... similar problem here...

Or, I should say, many have had that happen.

First off FYI, since you purchased the lifetime up date the install is covered by Garmin Tech Support. They were very helpful on my install.

Next, the simplest answer is to understand that the base 550 does not have enough native memory space for all of north America. The solution is to spend the $10 and get an SD card. Mine is a 2GB card and it used to be big, now is tiny... but 2 GB did the trick for me (but I did remove the music.)

If you download the updated Map to Mapsource, then you select the regions that you want to install. Put that on the Card and insert it to the 550. The unit does not care where the map is...

I have all of the Lower 48 and just a little bit of Canadia on the 2GB card.

Everything works.

Lastly... if you have not joined the zumoforums... you might think about that.

Morning Jim

It overwrites the earlier version.

The best way to install the new large Mb maps on the older Zumo is to ONLY install the ENTIRE MAP into your computer’s MapSource. Then once in MapSource you can pick & choose what to send to your Zumo with the map selection tool.

In my case I usually split the map using map select tool in MapSource sending the Lower US to the Zumo and the remainder of the map to the SD card on the Zumo. Your Zumo will automatically find the supplemental mapping on the SD card and use it just like the main map (seamless in operation)

If you have no SD card in your Zumo you can also remove all foreign language files to make more room for the new mapping.

Get rid of all the unneeded files on the Zumo to clear up as much swap space as possible. Things will go a lot smoother and you can reload the MP3 files later.

----

Thanks, guys. I have the SD slot and installed a 4GB SD card in anticipation of music, photos, etc., but there is currently nothing on that card. I wonder why Garmin's system didn't see the card and factor it into the available space for the update?

I'll go out and see what I can pick up on the Zumo forums.

Garmin's System is looking for your Mapsource...

By the way, Mapsource will be updated as part of the deal. I didn't really want it but it works fine.

Good Luck

realworld51
Garmin's System is looking for your Mapsource...

By the way, Mapsource will be updated as part of the deal. I didn't really want it but it works fine.

Good Luck

My update experience with my 450 is that Mapsource is updated only if you so choose. The update default is "device only"; you must specify "computer and device" to get the updated maps installed in both places.

I second the idea of cleansing your Zumo of all unneeded files from time to time. I managed to fit Lower 48 and southern Ontario of the latest maps version into native memory on my 450 by deleting unneeded files.

Get rid of all the unneeded files on the Zumo to clear up as much swap space as possible. Things will go a lot smoother and you can reload the MP3 files later.

----

I'm not sure what year my ZUMO is, but when I encountered the same problem as the OP I called Garmin.

Terry H removed all the extra stuff I didn't need, such as languages I won't be using. Then everything loaded quite nicely, All Lower 48.

The Garmin 550 makes a backup copy of all your routes and locations each time you connect it to the computer. You have a choice and it asks you each time. I let it backup everything and then look at the GPX folder for older backups and delete them down to one of two. This is done by looking at the Garmin 550 as a "drive" using explorer and NOT using the Garmin program. Plenty of room now.

For Kathy... there is no model year variation. There IS significant operating system variation and the downloader will give you the latest.

Regarding Mark's comment about the GPX folder... it always seems to take a long time to load it so if I am going to connect to the computer I delete user data first (I do not really care about my previously traveled paths).

This speeds things up and it gets into Mass Storage Mode quicker. By the way, you have the option of not doing the GPX transfer BUT there is some folklore about aborting this process leasing to some failures... i.e. dead Zumo. THERE is NO CONFIRMATION of this... just folklore and innuendo. MY suggestion is to let it run and not choose to stop it.

Archived