IGNORED

System Cases Over Rated

macx

Been getting the feel of and greatly enjoying my new 1200RT. Sadly with the exception of the, IMHO, much over rated, as well

as expensive, System Cases. Altho I'm sure they're the top of the status heap for luggage, and surely have a tremendous "cool" factor,

from a practical user-friendly standpoint they're a royal PITA.

My canvas saddlebags on my 1150R will hold 4 full bags of groceries. Tonight I struggled to get one of those fancy cases closed with just a gallon of milk and a 6 pack of soda in it without dropping something. My older laptop won't fit, let alone my briefcase. To me it looks rather absurd having to strap my briefcase on the back rack when I've got those 2 huge cases. And trying to get the lid closed with a number of smaller items in one is a juggling act far beyond my level of dexterity. And I make many more trips to pick up things like groceries and other relatively small items than I do long trips where I pack mostly clothes and other soft, shapeless items.

If they were top loading like my canvas bags it would be an entirely different matter.

Has anyone ever tried making some type of "shelves" for lack of a better term for them? Or devising some other way of loading smaller items into them and getting the lids closed without a lot of drama?

I told my dealer he ought to suggest to BMW that they make a top loading version of them as an option.

Yes, and my initial thoughts on those, as well as some posts I've read, are that they just add another layer of complexity and that you'd likely be pulling them out and emptying them out to find esp smaller items. And they wouldn't help a whole lot with the problem of esp larger things falling out when you start to open the lids at least until you get the lid open far enuf to get ahold of the liner.

Besides, they wouldn't make any diff in getting my laptop or briefcase to fit. That really surprised me, esp that laptop thing. Turned out the upper rear corner of the case was rounded off just enuf so the square corner of the laptop wouldn't quite go in.

I've been amazed at how much stuff I can get in mine. 4-6 plastic grocery bags work. I use these things for my odds and ends (tools, maps, duct tape, cable ties, etc.)

Packers

Morning Macx

Yes, they are different. They really aren’t as bad as they first seem though. Once you use them for a while you will find you can load a lot in there if you are creative.

Keep in mind the L/H side has the cut-out for the exhaust so that side has limited storage for hard things like your pop & milk jug. I use the left side for soft storage like rain gear and clothing type things while using the right side for the bigger or bulkier things.

Over time you will learn a few things about those bags: like getting a piece of riding clothing stuck in the latch (that will make you a very un-friendly person to be around for a while). Or overstuffing one therefore jamming the latch mechanisms (see the un-friendly thing above).

Whilst looking for a tank bag, a reply that was posted led me to

bigmak.hei.net

He's got (or is developing) some type of "organizer" for those

cases, maybe a couple different types, it was a little unclear and I didn't have a lot of time to spend.

Also has a couple good looking tank bags at least one of which that apparently attaches to a BMW mount that attaches to that rack on the tank.

Hi. I find that the side cases on my R12RT can hold more than the ones on my previous R1150RS (which were the same as the ones on the R11xyRT).

---John.

There's no doubt they have plenty volume, it's getting stuff in and out

and the lids closed or opened without some of it falling out that's the problem.

And without extra liners or bags or whatever to mess with.

I'm working on an idea that might do what I want it to do.

Will post when / if I'm able to fab it without much in the

way of tools (I'm away from home on a long term construction

job).

Why reinvent the wheel?

The bag liners work great.

Easy to use.

You're trying to dig a hole with a pitchfork, IMO.

Adding a topcase and bag liners will allow you to tote plenty of groceries on your grocery getter.

Top loading doesn't solve anything as you have no access to things on the bottom.

Try using your leg w/a slight sideways cant to hold the sidecase lid while you get things from your bag liner.

I have 2 sets of liners.

One is 20 year old BMW made and I use it every day whether I'm riding or not to carry my work related stuff.

That way when I ride I simply place bag liner in r side case and go.

No fuss no muss.

Using the liners also allows you to use the enitre storage capacity more readily than having things divided into two halves.

If you want an easy addition get a u pack which goes on rear seat and you'll add a huge capacity to carry groceries and what not which is easy to remove and just use when you need to.

I don't have any bag liners for my side bags. After reading some comments on this post, they may be worth getting.

I do have a T-Bag Full dresser that I used on my Goldwing. It work on the RT and holds a ton of stuff. Has a built in ran cover. Great on trips.

DaveTheAffable
...I use these things for my odds and ends (tools, maps, duct tape, cable ties, etc.)

Packers

I am guilty! Guilty I say!... of reading posts too quickly. But I followed that link and saw that for 29.95 I got a seto1 of 3 organizers? Order already sent! Thanks!

malcolmblalock

I bought some liners, but, for me, they took space away from capacity. Not a lot, but it made a difference.

Found another solution, albeit a bit weird. I'm now using some of the big storage containers that have a closing seal. These have hand-holds for easy carry, take no space or weight, are waterproof, and easy to carry. I've used one set for 3 seasons and about 40k miles of trips. I've also found that putting the different types of garments in ziploc bags inside the large bags, it makes finding things much easier than just piling them in. And if the air is squeezed out of the small bags as well as the big bag, there is as lot of capacity to carry stuff.

Wouldn't work so well for hard-edged items (tools, pumps, etc), but works great for clothes and touring in general.

I ride with just a top case most of the time. The BMW small case will JUST hold a full face helmet, the larger one was WAY out of my price range. I bought a Givi, and have been VERY happy with it. 55 liter storage, I can put both my work AND home laptop in it, with room, and the mpg is up because I do NOT have the side cases.

I use the side cases for trips, loading soft things in for the most part. I usually take the case inside to load and unload, so things don't spill out.

Yes, I do have a second key, but it's a small price to pay, IMHO

Why reinvent the wheel?

Top loading doesn't solve anything as you have no access to things on the bottom.

Try using your leg w/a slight sideways cant to hold the sidecase lid while you get things from your bag liner.

Using the liners also allows you to use the enitre storage capacity more readily than having things divided into two halves.

If you want an easy addition get a u pack which goes on rear seat and you'll add a huge capacity to carry groceries and what not which is easy to remove and just use when you need to.

Well, AFAIC, the wheel is just a little square and I'm going to try to round off the corners a little. :-)

Top loading works for me with my saddlebags on my 1150R cuz I don't routinely carry a lot of "stuff" so don't have to dig for

anything on the bottom. When I go shopping I put the items in the bag and then remove all of my purchases when I get home. No digging.

I'm trying to get away from the gymnastics and bent leg syndrome I've already had to learn to get the few things in and out when I do use the cases.

I don't intend to divide the space into sections or halves. What I have in mind now will allow me to use the entire space, just load and unload from the top without having to hold the lid part way open or to have to work with opening something else inside of the case.

I don't want a top case. Too much bulk and weight too high on the bike at the rear of the wheelbase. Also too expensive to justify for the few times I need it,

and don't want to have that hanging on there when I don't need it. Also makes it more difficult to swing my leg over the bike.

Never heard of a U Pak or whatever, will check it out, but sounds like still in the way to get your leg over the bike.

With an easy on/off moderate size tank bag and the two moderate size (top loading where the entire top opens up) saddlebags on my 1150R I can haul all the groceries or whatever I go buy and easily load and unload everything (from the top). That's what I'm trying to arrive at on my 1200RT with the cases. If they didn't add so much "cool" factor to the overall looks of the bike, and weren't so identifiably BMW, I'd sell them and get a nice set of (top opening) saddlebags like I have on my 1150R that work so well for me.

I'm happy that they work for you, but I just don't want having to hold my leg cocked to hold the case lids open and then still have to contend with opening another bag - which from what I've seen only zips open at the top outside edge rather than the entire top opening so you are still doing about the same thing by opening up the side of the liners as you are by opening the side lids on the cases.

I'm one of those unfortunate souls for whom "it's either right or it ain't". And if it ain't, I make it right (for me).

Without all my tools, it'll take awhile to figure out a simple way to fab up my idea. When I am satisfied with it, I'll post some pics. Fair enuf? :-)

russell_bynum
Why reinvent the wheel?

Well, AFAIC, the wheel is just a little square and I'm going to try to round off the corners a little. :-)

Top loading works for me with my saddlebags on my 1150R cuz I don't routinely carry a lot of "stuff" so don't have to dig for

anything on the bottom. When I go shopping I put the items in the bag and then remove all of my purchases when I get home. No digging.

I'm trying to get away from the gymnastics and bent leg syndrome I've already had to learn to get the few things in and out when I do use the cases.

I don't intend to divide the space into sections or halves. What I have in mind now will allow me to use the entire space, just load and unload from the top without having to hold the lid part way open or to have to work with opening something else inside of the case.

I don't want a top case. Too much bulk and weight too high on the bike at the rear of the wheelbase. Also too expensive to justify for the few times I need it,

and don't want to have that hanging on there when I don't need it. Also makes it more difficult to swing my leg over the bike.

Never heard of a U Pak or whatever, will check it out, but sounds like still in the way to get your leg over the bike.

With an easy on/off moderate size tank bag and the two moderate size (top loading where the entire top opens up) saddlebags on my 1150R I can haul all the groceries or whatever I go buy and easily load and unload everything (from the top). That's what I'm trying to arrive at on my 1200RT with the cases. If they didn't add so much "cool" factor to the overall looks of the bike, and weren't so identifiably BMW, I'd sell them and get a nice set of (top opening) saddlebags like I have on my 1150R that work so well for me.

I'm happy that they work for you, but I just don't want having to hold my leg cocked to hold the case lids open and then still have to contend with opening another bag - which from what I've seen only zips open at the top outside edge rather than the entire top opening so you are still doing about the same thing by opening up the side of the liners as you are by opening the side lids on the cases.

I'm one of those unfortunate souls for whom "it's either right or it ain't". And if it ain't, I make it right (for me).

Without all my tools, it'll take awhile to figure out a simple way to fab up my idea. When I am satisfied with it, I'll post some pics. Fair enuf? :-)

How about putting the soft bags from your 1150R on your RT?

John Bentall

Russell,

I suggest that we wierdos who think the RT sidecases/liners make a good solution, sit on our hands for a little while and see what macx comes up with.

It might even approach Fernando's solution for mounting an Autocom in a tank-bag!

John

At BRR, two of us were discussing the "trunk" (complete with hydraulic strut) on Honda's Pacific Coast motorcycle today, which remains the greatest luggage system I have ever used. Top loading, so stuff didn't fall out, about 80 liters total capacity. I once made a beer run, and got 72 bottles of beer and 15 pounds of ice in the trunk, which had rubber drain plugs at the bottom, so it served well as a rolling ice chest. And, the weight was low, so loading it up didn't hurt handling.

Trunk.jpg

Boney -

Now that's a real grocery getter! And I'll just bet a buck or 2 less than the BMW side cases :-)

How cool can it get?! (Re the top loading, low center of gravity side cases that hold so much of the good stuff!)

And I thought I was doing good things when I got a 12 pack of bottles in my tank bag on the 1150R.

I've been tempted - but

as I said, the BMW cases have a serious helping of "cool" and so much BMW identity it's a shame to replace them with something NOT so cool or obviously BMW. (My bags on the 1150 are several years old and, not being hi buck to start with, are somewhat faded)

Besides, I'm just stubborn enuf that if I think something can be improved upon - at least IMHO and to suit my particular preference - than I'll give it a good try.

I told my dealer he ought to suggest to BMW that they make a top loading version of them as an option.
They do for the police model after many requests from police departments. However, they're narrower and I think not as easily removable because they mount different.

Hmmm, interesting that there were many requests from police dept's

who, I'm sure, carry a fair amount of "stuff". Must be a reason?

I suggest that we wierdos who think the RT sidecases/liners make a good solution, sit on our hands for a little while and see what macx comes up with. John

Now that sounds like a challenge if ever I heard one! :-)

Actually, am making progress. In fact, I think I'm on the verge of a major breakthrough - what material to use. Did some more browsing today and might have hit on something. And it's manufactured item that I wouldn't have to do any fabricating, just some moderate "modifications" and it just might fit right in. I've pretty much got the fasteners figured out so my solution is removable if necessary or desired.

dirtrider

There is a reason—so they can access the stuff in the bags without getting off the bike.

I have a couple of bikes with top opening bags and they are a real pain to open with anything on the rear seat like camping gear.

The only top opening bags that I like with gear on the bike have latches on both ends and the cover comes completely off. But those a real PITA for everyday daily usage as they are 2 hand operation and you have to find a place to set the cover.

Actually, am making progress. In fact, I think I'm on the verge of a major breakthrough - what material to use. Did some more browsing today and might have hit on something. And it's manufactured item that I wouldn't have to do any fabricating, just some moderate "modifications" and it just might fit right in. I've pretty much got the fasteners figured out so my solution is removable if necessary or desired.

:lurk: Ok now I'm curious to see what you come up with.

For Police use, it's mostly unexciting but not bulky stuff, like paperwork, Breath Test machine etc. in the panniers. You don't need the sheer bulk that you need for a long tour. At the side of the road you just flip the lid up (front hinged) & there's your paperwork etc.

They are quite narrow panniers, & they bolt on, so not QD.

Archived