IGNORED

Looking for a good tankbag

macx

I don't mind paying a reasonable sum for quality, but I don't need gold plated jewel encrusted accessories either,

or the inflated prices that some bike accessory mfg's would like you to think they're worth.

It would be nice if there was one that would lock down to that rail on the tank, but I haven't found one.

Other than that, or one that at least attaches to that rail, I'd want a magnetic bag - no straps thank you.

Of course I need a decent sized map pouch on top, and don't want something with huge flaps that hang down so far

they cover up half of the sides of the tank.

I have a Nelson Riggs expandable tank bagon my 1150R and it is really handy, but does have those big magnet flaps that

remind me of an old style winter cap with ear flaps. I think that would look out of place on as sleek a bike as the 1200RT.

Thanks for any tips based on experience, and sources!

Morning Macx

On the 1200 BMW RT’s a lot or the better looking tank bags will hit the handlebars at full lock. You really need to set the bag on the tank & try it. Just looking at some bags in the store they look like they will fit no problem but it is s different story when you actually try them to clear the handle bars.

I see in another thread you are looking at bar risers. If you are going to put on bar risers do that first as that can give you more or sometimes less bag to bar clearance.

Mark at Big Mack has been really difficult to get in contact with lately. Before putting much stock in the Big Mack bag make sure he is till making them.

I have the (original) Big Mack bag on a BMW mounting plate and it is a very useful bag indeed. At one time Mark made map pockets to fit on the bag (that’s what those Velcro pieces on top of the bag are for) . It’s not the biggest bag but just great for day rides and everyday essentials. I use the Big Mack for every day & use the BMW OEM bag for longer trips and camping outings.

Tank Bag Link

Thanks for the info.

I had my bike in for the 600 mile check & svc this AM and looked

at a stock BMW tank bracket & bag - nice setup, but $335 !!!

And of course they don't sell the bracket separately.

And not even any little extra pockets on the BMW bag.

Guess I'll do a little more research.

I'm an inveterate tinkerer and "maker" and am beginning to think

I may be able to fab my own clip on bracket out of flat aluminum stock.

Then I could attach whatever bag to it that fits.

Other than that - - still researching options.

Afternoon Macx

That seems like a lot of money for the 2011 RT first service as the valves are not done at 600 mi on the new 1200 RTs.

What I did was watch E-Bay and found an OEM 1200RT tank bag with a rip and yellowed map cover (the early map covers did that). I got it pretty cheap then removed the OEM bag from the base.

I then worked with Mark at Big Mack (actually sent him some cardboard forms and the bare BMW base plate. That is what he made the original 1200RT base plate fitting bag to.

Once you have a BMW base plate you can mount about anything you want (within reason) on that removable base plate.

The Vegas dealer had one of those old ones with a ripped & yellowed map pouch,

but he wasn't sure if he wanted to sell it or not, so I let him keep it. Probly would

have been pretty proud of it anyway.

Yeah, I kind of thought that was a little steep for what they did.

I noticed the shop rate was $90 an hour.

Off the invoice:

The non-synthetic oil out of the drum was $7.49 per qt

(I'd hate to see what they get for synthetic!)

The filter & seal was the usual $14.xx

The quart of synthetic for the FD was $24.54

(Wouldn't Auto Zone just love to get that for their gear oil?!)

The "run in service" (labor) was $161.50.

Took a tad over an hour.

And they wonder why so many people do their own servicing!

On the tank bag bracket - I think I may have a way of fab'ing

a serviceable bracket out of about 6' of 1/8" x 3/4" 6061 aluminum

flat stock which is pretty malleable & easily bent. I'm working away

from home

so no welding capability, but I'm pretty sure I can just use some

small machine screws and bolt a basic frame together, and I've

figured a way for the hooks on the bottom rear, and releaseable

hooks for the top front.

Mat'ls under $15. Then a decent aftermarket tank bag for around

or maybe a little under $100. Beats $335 + 8.1% tax here in Vegas!

And I'll even have external pouches on the bag.

I like my BMW Tank bag. I walked into Go Arizona BMW at Phoenix a couple of years ago. They were having a moving sale. Picked up the BMW tank bag for 35% off.

Guest Kakugo

Don't know if it's available in the US but last Fall I bought a FAMSA tank bag for the RT. I paid it 100€ (about $135 back then) including express shipping. They now go for about 110€ (over $150 at present exchange rate).

My original pick was either a Wunderlich or Touratech "small" tank bag but both were out of stocks and not sure when more would arrive.

It uses a fabric base over the OE rail: incredibly good fit and fitting it is as easy as removing the passenger seat.

The bag itself is very nicely shaped, has an internal mesh pocket and two external ones etc and comes with a removable map holder and rain cover.

In "compressed" mode it will hold a water bottle, waterproof gloves etc and still have room to spare.

My only criticism is the map holder is not big enough to hold a Michelin atlas but I got around that by photocopying the pages I need...

I will post pictures if you are interested.

Archived