IGNORED

PIAA Lights

dwfindley

My new 2011 1200 RT is having an issue with the installed PIAA lights just below the front tupperware. They are prone to wander to the right and left of center. BWW techs have tried their best to tighten them, as I have also, to no avail.

Anyone experience this and have a solution? I have had PIAA lights on other RTs and LT and I never had this occur. I'm stumped.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Pics may help with understanding the mount.

However, nothing says you can't put silicone tape in the pivots or wherever they are slipping. The new self fusing stuff.

Or, Loctite if the parts are steel.

If all else fails, get some shim stock although that could make it worse by creating a bushing.

just spitballing.......

I'm going to guess and say that you have the PIAA lights that say Motorsports on the box. The 74124 kit has these lights and they do NOT properly fit the 2010 and 2011 models.

PIAA makes two different styles of 1100x lights. The Motorsports lights are different in the mount area. If you use them on a 2010 or 2011 bike, they will touch the fender when the suspension compresses, causing them to move sideways.

PIAA sourced brackets to fit the new models but never marketed them. Contact them and ask if you can get a set.

If your lights are NOT the Motorsports ones, contact EZY-MOUNT for a bracket that will work.

dwfindley

This is all good info. Who knew? Yikes, I am embarrassed to say I am unsure of who provided the lights. The dealer purchased and installed them. I will look into this and some additional comments I received this weekend. Thanks guys.

I looked at my notes. If you need the bracket for the Motorsports lights, they are part number 74122L & R. The folks at PIAA were kind enough to swap me the 74122 for my 74124 at no charge. I went to their site and sent an e-mail.

I looked at my notes. If you need the bracket for the Motorsports lights, they are part number 74122L & R. The folks at PIAA were kind enough to swap me the 74122 for my 74124 at no charge. I went to their site and sent an e-mail.

I'm also looking at installing a set of PIAA 1100's on my 2011 RT, PIAA lists a kit for the 2010-2011 RT's. Will this kit work without hitting my fender on a NON-ESA bike? I've looked all over the internet and the more I look the more aggravated I get. Seems like there are tons of people selling PIAA lights, even AMAZON, but getting the right model of the 1100 and the right bracket seems to be a problem. The EZY bracket says for ESA bikes only. I emailed them and they said that I need a light with a black plastic mounting base as shown on their website, but I can't find those anywhere (I think it's the older style). I appreciate your help.

Steve

I have no personal experience with the low suspension bikes, but they have reduced suspension travel so it would seem the warning is there because the light may contact the fender at full compression. If you try it, read on:

The kit that you found, 74124, will definitely not work. That fits only the RT's up to 2009. Changes made in 2010 necessitate a different bracket. The PIAA part number for the bracket is 74122, although you can't buy it. Contact PIAA and see if they are willing to sell them to you or trade you for the 74124 bracket.

• 3 weeks later...

I am late cking back in here and did not have the part #. I have contacted PIAA thru their site twice and have received no reply. I may now try the part #. Meanwhile I have a makeshift tape wrapped around and to each of the lights to hold them in position.

Does anyone know how I access the high beam wire on a 2006 1200rt? What color wire and where is it? Can i connect the switch power wire of the PIAA 1100x right to the high beam and be done with it?

Does anyone know how I access the high beam wire on a 2006 1200rt? What color wire and where is it? Can i connect the switch power wire of the PIAA 1100x right to the high beam and be done with it?

You'd only be able to run them when the high beam is on. I think most want to be able to use them to be seen better, not just to light the road. The beam pattern is not great for long distance help that you would want when running the highs, either.

If you're certain that's what you want, you should be able to use the high beam power for the relay switch. You'll need to power the relay off the battery or an accessory fuseblock, though.

Archived