IGNORED

Roadcrafter suit sizing

drjay

I am considering the new Roadcrafter lite that is due out this June. Aerostich sizes me as a 38 Regular but tells me that I might want to add leg length. I am 5'8", 140 pounds and have a 32 inch inseam. Does anyone have a similar build with a suggestion to avoid the alterations in this suit? Does anyone who is 5'8" wear a 38 Long?

malcolmblalock

My experience is that Aerostich knows what they are doing in sizing. I'd do as they suggest...

My experience is that Aerostich knows what they are doing in sizing. I'd do as they suggest...

My experience with ordering a Aerostich roadcrafter last fall was that they know very little about common sizing. For instance, I have a 34 waist and ended up with a size 44.

For the jacket, way off my standard size also.

That said, Aerostich does have a process for getting it correct. They ask a lot of questions and send you a trial suit. After you confirm fit, they build your suit and you send the trial back (on your dollar). For me, it took two trial suits. The process works, but it is very slow.

I found them to be very knowledgeable on the phone. There are lots of adjustments that can be made on the standard suits - shorter or longer leg length below the knee, above or both, for example. Read their on-line sizing info carefully before calling. Measure yourself carefully in all the important places. They make a great product and almost every other brand is strictly off-the-rack.

p

bmw_rider

Inseam when riding is longer than your typical pant size in order to be comfortable with the fabric on the outside of the knee. You don't want it tugging or tight at that point for long periods of time. Plus allow for armor.

Stan Walker

You can always go visit them. They will size and fit you right there at the store while sitting on your own motorcycle. Then they will make the suit and ship it to your home. It might even be a bit cheaper that way, if I recall correctly.

Stan

elkroeger

Decide which suit you need on their chart and then order a couple to try on. From looking at the chart I couldn't decide whether I needed a 42 or a 44. I tried a couple on and bought a 46. I also made a custom adjustment to the pants (changed knee height) that I have been very pleased with. Don't let the extra shipping and custom charges scare you: You will spend a lot of time in the thing (it'll last forever), so you need to *love* the size.

The missus had a similar experience - she wound up with a suit two sizes larger than she anticipated.

Be sure check the fit with and without your winter layers. Also on and off the bike.

RockBottom

I ignored Aerostich's sizing advice and ordered my regular jacket size. It was kind of a vanity thing but I wish I hadn't. It's fine with a tee shirt and jeans, but gets a little tight with multiple layers in the winter so I don't wear the suit below 40.

On the inseam, I wear a 29" in pants and thought the listed 33" on the short suit would be way too long, but it's perfect on the bike.

You can always go visit them. They will size and fit you right there at the store while sitting on your own motorcycle. Then they will make the suit and ship it to your home. It might even be a bit cheaper that way, if I recall correctly.

I think a visit is very good advice. It may seem expensive and time consuming, but after at least a dozen calls and sending two suits back, I would pick this option next time in a heart beat. I'm certain being there with them to help you determine all the alterations would result in the best possible fit. AND, the cost/time isn't that much more (I guess that might depend on where you live).

Thanks for the advice. I live in Maine, so Aerostitch is a long ride, although I would love to do it. I had thought about ordering a couple sizes to compare, then doing the custom thing. I just didn't think people did it that way. Thanks again all.

Archived