IGNORED

Any Schuberth C3 users here? How long to "break in"?

rdwalker

Hi, all:

After buying a new C3 during the winter season, I finally got a chance to try it out on an extended 2-day ride this weekend.

Well, apparently, the much described change in head form screwed me up: the helmet is just-so-ever too tight for me. Mind you, this is my 4th or 5th Schuberth in a row (I had a whole string of original Concepts and of C2's) and they all fit well if not even slightly loosely with the same size.

The problem is not just in forehead (that got settled after the first day), but I feel uncomfortable pressure on the temples and my earlobes hurt - this means that the overall circumference was dialed down.

Here is the problem and the question to you: the helmet ALMOST fits me if not for the temples/earlobes. I am afraid of going through the whole exercise and expense of buying next size up: the current size is really so CLOSE that I am convinced that the next one will be way too loose.

So, to those of you who already live with the C3: does the interior break in? Did you experience that it settles? If so, how long did it take you to feel that it loosened up?

It seems that I need just a tiny bit of adjustment; I am willing to keep it longer if there is hope that it will adjust.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

malcolmblalock

I have a C3 that was just a bit tight when I bought it (Size L). It wasn't uncomfortable, but a wee tight.

I've now worn it about 30 hours and it's a tiny bit loose now. Not loose enough to be concerned about it, but I can feel just a little wiggle if I try to move it about my skull. I think it took around 20 hours of wear before I could tell a difference.

I have a problem with the helmet otherwise. I use an Autocom system, and the speaker indents are not quite deep enough for speakers and my ears. So, I've been very slowly using a heated spoon and rubbing in the ear indents to compact the Styrofoam to accommodate the speakers. I think one more round of heated spoon will be enough.

I didn't like doing that to a new $700 helmet, but I learned on a 5-day, 1,300 mile trip that it was do that, do without the Autocom, or get rid of the helmet. And options 2 and 3 were not good options. Hence, making room for speakers was the best solution.

I love the helmet. Lightest and quietest helmet I've owned. And the sun shield is awesome. Expensive but worth it.

Thanks! There is hope for me.

Regarding your speaker fight: I am prepared for that. I use J&M equipment and their speakers are very loud, but also big. I was already expecting to have to modify the foam liner - but did not want to start on it before deciding to keep the helmet.

I already went through this with my wife's Shoei. I used a soldering "gun" with a piece of copper wire in place of the normal tip. The wire was bent out to scoop the styrofoam most efficiently. Not a very neat job, but it worked well - and now it is nicely hidden under the fabric.

I have a C3 that was just a bit tight when I bought it (Size L). It wasn't uncomfortable, but a wee tight.

I've now worn it about 30 hours and it's a tiny bit loose now. Not loose enough to be concerned about it, but I can feel just a little wiggle if I try to move it about my skull. I think it took around 20 hours of wear before I could tell a difference.

I have a problem with the helmet otherwise. I use an Autocom system, and the speaker indents are not quite deep enough for speakers and my ears. So, I've been very slowly using a heated spoon and rubbing in the ear indents to compact the Styrofoam to accommodate the speakers. I think one more round of heated spoon will be enough.

I didn't like doing that to a new $700 helmet, but I learned on a 5-day, 1,300 mile trip that it was do that, do without the Autocom, or get rid of the helmet. And options 2 and 3 were not good options. Hence, making room for speakers was the best solution.

I love the helmet. Lightest and quietest helmet I've owned. And the sun shield is awesome. Expensive but worth it.

I also have a C-3, and I also love it. Very light, quiet, and I agree on the sun shades...optically excellent!

I've not worn it 30 hours yet, but it has loosened up a little. It's still tight around my jawline. I fit right in the middle of the the large size range so I'm hoping that loosens up a bit too.

Have any of you C3 owners come from a Shoei Multitech ? If so , how does the sizing match up.

I feel that the large is a bit to tight but I wear an XL Shoei and feel that I am between a Lg. and XL in the C3.

malcolmblalock

I'm selling my Snoei Multitec, now just a year old and replaced it with the C3.

The Shoei in a Large was pretty much a perfect fit. The C3 was just a tad tight. So, for my head shape, the C3 was just a bit smaller than the Shoei. See my post (above) to see my experience in "wearing-in".

• 2 months later...

Mine seems to be breaking in relatively quickly. I probably have worn it 6-8 hours so far. In the beginning, the cheeks were quite tight, the edges of my ears hurt after about an hour and the worst part was I had about a postage stamp sized, square red mark at the top of my forehead that was very uncomfortable after about an hour of wearing.

Yesterday, I rode for about 2&1/2 hours and the only discomfort was my ears.

Hopefully that will soften soon.

I have about 7,000 kilometers on my new C3 an I'm pretty happy with it.

However, I quickly discovered that the chin strap clasp jammed my adam's apple, so I cut it off & replaced it with a ECHO QUICK RELEASE clasp.

Anti-fog works very well.

Ventilation not great, but the helmet is so comfortable, I can live with it.

Have any of you C3 owners come from a Shoei Multitech ? If so , how does the sizing match up.

I feel that the large is a bit to tight but I wear an XL Shoei and feel that I am between a Lg. and XL in the C3.

My Multitech is a Medium and the C3 is a large.

I wore mine on my trip out to the west coast. Before I left I had maybe 10-12 hours on it.

The first two days were actually somewhat painful. About midway through the trip (after about 4+ all days) the helmet loosened up and after that it was fine.

Rich06FJR1300

i have one as well, wore it on a 350 mile day ride and it hurt like hell! have yet to ride since then so i doubt its broke in...ears hurt too, and painful on the forehead. its an XL as well...i had a large but that D ring friggin' choked me when i put it on, had to go for an XL and that's much better at least in that department. Time will tell.

While I know that much internet discussion concerns only faults or problems, this C3 helmet certainly seems to generate way more that its share of gripes. I'm happy with my Multitec and believe I'll just wait for the C4 Schuberth or the Multitec 2 before I look for a new helmet.

DaveTheAffable

I've been buying helmets for 35+ years. Some I had complaints about hot spots, features, little pieces breaking off, vents not working, shields that didn't work right. Every helmet that I tried to get "closer" to a good fit hurt, bound, wiggled, or never broke in.

The Schuberth C3 is the first helmet I have owned that I allowed myself to buy with what is a proper (read snug) fit in all aspects. I wear a XXL. When they measured my head at the dealer with a tape, they were shocked, "Yup, you really DO need a XXL." At first, I felt "confined" in it. It just seemed to be "touching" my head, temples, cheeks, everywhere. I was tempted to get a XXXL (they had one) because it went on so nice and easy.

Well, I bought the XXL, and at first a couple of spots felt a little hot or tight. I've had my C3 for a few months now, and it "fits" me perfectly now. I have found NOTHING "wrong" with it, and the comfort level has gone up, up, up.

ymmv

Archived