IGNORED

Errors downloading maps to Garmin GPSmap276C

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Trying to load maps/waypoints/routes into my Garmin GPSmap276C from my PC. Have successfully done this many times over the past 7 years now, but recently (i.e. since about last Christmas) started having trouble: during the long download of maps into the GPS unit, my PC complains of "an unexpected error" and stops the download.

I am able to successfully download maps from my wife's PC, so it seems like the GPS unit itself is OK. Moreover, my original GPS unit was replaced last month with a refurbished one from Garmin; the problem started before that replacement, and has persisted after.

Before I start bugging Garmin's tech support, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and can offer any suggestions?

Are you running Windows 7? I have a hell of a time with my 2610 since loading W7. I was getting errors, and it reset my computer about half a dozen times that resulted in the blue screen of death. After a bunch of searching, I found it has something to do with the Garmin not playing nice with the USB drivers that W7 is using. I found a few complicated explainations to "fix" it, but then I got it to connect and it worked fine. Maybe I'll investigate further when I need to download routes again.

Don't know how much help that is :S

marcopolo

Is your 276C plugged into AC power when you're uploading maps to it, or is it using its internal battery? I had this problem in the past and I followed a suggestion to always use AC during this type of operation. Seemed to work better that way.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Is your 276C plugged into AC power when you're uploading maps to it, or is it using its internal battery? I had this problem in the past and I followed a suggestion to always use AC during this type of operation. Seemed to work better that way.

Internal battery. Used to work fine. Moreover, this is a refurbished unit with (I assume) a brand-new battery.

That said, I've got nothing to lose by trying. I'll try AC power tonight and see what happens.

Keith, I'm running WinXP.

Stan Walker

I followed a suggestion to always use AC during this type of operation

Likewise, but I'm still using the original battery after many years of operation......

Mitch, why would you assume they shipped you a new battery?

Stan

Joe Frickin' Friday
I followed a suggestion to always use AC during this type of operation

Likewise, but I'm still using the original battery after many years of operation......

Mitch, why would you assume they shipped you a new battery?

Stan

With a refurbished unit, they don't tell you what does and does not get replaced. Since the battery is one of the things that "wears out" over time (e.g. inability to accept full charge, slow discharge, etc.), my assumption is that this is one of the things that gets replaced. I could be wrong.

While I was typing this, I was downloading maps to the GPS - with the GPS plugged into wall power. Waddya know, it downloaded everything fine, no errors. Either it was a coincidence, or this thing really does need wall power for data transfer. :confused:

Mitch, a "good" battery on a 276C should last ~8 hours so you might have a marginal one. The referb units I have received did not include a new battery. They told me to "not send" the old battery, just the unit and they'd send a replacement minus the battery.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I've seen threads somewhere online about how to open the old battery and replace the cells. No, I didn't bookmark them. No, I don't remember what web site. Some help I am, huh?

However, since I had to replace the little lithium rechargeable internal battery on my unit, I've been a lot more diligent about keeping it plugged in all the time. I would imagine that's good for the large battery as well since I've been told by some atom.gif types that they like to be fully charged, and last longer that way.

woodscrew

My 276c is almost 7 years old. Should I be replacing the lithium battery? What and where is that thang anyway? The unit lays on a shelf unplugged until I need it. Not good?

Woodscrew

I did my own lithium battery replacement (276C) and found that it was easy. The website that I got the info from wasn't quite correct but with some diligence and care you could work your way through it.

I had a link to that page but it appears to be now dead.

It was at: http://gpsinformation.biz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4701

Make sure you have some small heat sink pliers to prevent overheating the small battery. I used a small wet piece of cloth.

The battery is a Panasonic ML621S or equivalent.

My 276c is almost 7 years old. Should I be replacing the lithium battery? ..... Woodscrew

A tired battery is indicated by taking a long time to find its location on startup because the time, date and last location will be lost.

Fortunately I found that I had backed up the web instructions for the battery replacement onto a Word document. If you want a copy, PM me your email address.

woodscrew

Heat sink pliers? Wet cloth? Overheating the battery? Yikes!! I think I'll call Garmin - before I smell smoke.

Woodscrew

• 4 weeks later...
Stan Walker

I did my own lithium battery replacement (276C) and found that it was easy.

Me too, just this morning.

The unit was losing the date whenever it was left unused for a short period of time. Be aware that this battery is only charged while the unit is on and being charged. It can take up to 24 hours to recharge this internal clock battery according to one account I read.

The replacement battery complete with tabs can be ordered from Digi-Key as part number SY103-ND which is really a ML621-TZ1. It's the same size but has a slightly higher capacity (5.8 mah vs. 3.0 mah). Cost was 2.51 plus shipping and tax (total was 11.82).

For a good writeup including battery links try this

linky

Not too hard for those used to working with electronics, but not for the ham-fisted either. Should take about an hour if you have all the needed tools at hand. Tiny phillips, small phillips, small tipped soldering iron, solder, and of course the new battery.

Stan

Archived