IGNORED

Such a thing as a tint strip for the top of the face shield?

macx

I like my helmet and face shield and all, but wish I could somehow

tint the top 3" or 4" to act as a sun filter / blocker.

Anybody know of anything? I've tried window tint film, didn't

stay on, couldn't apply it smoothly either.

Thx!

Painter's tape.

Carry a roll with you. Remove it from the faceshield when no longer needed.

EZ Off.

Had one for a while. A tinted vinyl strip. Did not stay one very well on the outside of the shield. Interfered with the seal if I put it on the inside and increased wind noise. Also, not very optically transparent. But it was better than nothing. I have since found that Shoei makes half tinted shields. A bit hard to find but they work great for those sun-in-the-eyes commute rides.

ElevenFifty

The integrated sun visor in my Nolan was pretty worthless to me ... I prefer to slip on quality prescription sunglasses on bright days. I removed the sun visor dremeled it to straighten it and then painted it black.

Works great when the sun gets low.

Danny caddyshack Noonan
Try this from Cyclegear

+1

Seems the sunglasses my wife wears allows the morning sun to hit her directly in the eyes at a certain angle. This fixed it.

Another alternative might be a Pinlock although they don't go quite all of the way to the top of the shield in my Shoei Multitec.

The sunblocker strips, while I love aerostitch, are available at lots of local dealer shops around the country for $3-5 a piece. If you get one install in the inside of the faceshield so the wind won't pick it off and leave it on the side of the road.

When I was trying to determine how much sun shield I needed on my visor, I experimented with 3 full width strips of 3/4" 3M 33 vinyl electrical tape because it sticks great and can be easily applied and it conforms beautifully to compound curves. My visor ended up with 3 strips each overlapping the other by about half its width.

Its been on there now for a couple of years and still looks like the day I applied it. Its looks so good I never needed to change it. I did not want a tint, I wanted an absolute block so this tape worked great. Even if the sun is right on the horizon, I can easily block it out and still see the road just fine.

call me cheap but it works and the total cost was about 25 cents worth of tape that I already had.

I done this to all my helmets with great results.

Regards

Bernd

btw....apply the tape from the top down so that if you had to, you could remove the lowest piece without disturbing the others.

I use two strips of black electrical tape. I did it to both my clear and dark tinted visors. I think the pieces on there now have been there for over 40k miles and they still look like new. Replacements are cheap too :grin:

Peter Parts
there is also this

closeup.jpg found here.

I used one on my old helmet and liked it enough to order a new one for my mew helmet.

No other way that does much good. Pasting some filter strip on the face shield is fairly futile in terms of geometry or sunlight reduction.

I use something about twice as long and vented for wind pressure. Sold for dirt bike racing. Works right down to 30 seconds before sunset and provides merciful shade to your face all day long. Which in Canada is very long in the riding season.

Ben

I use a Nolan N102 with a dark screen AND the dark visor. It sounds like overkill, but the two together work really well when riding east in the morning, or west in the afternoon.

+1 on the Super Visor. Had it on my Shoei TRZ. Just bought a new RF1100 and it will be going on that helmet as well.

The strip can't block the sun like the visor does.

I experimented with electrical tape because it sticks great and can be easily applied and it conforms beautifully to compound curves. My visor ended up with 3 strips each overlapping the other by about half its width.

Its been on there now for a couple of years and still looks like the day I applied it. I did not want a tint, I wanted an absolute block so this tape worked great. Call me cheap but it works. I done this to all my helmets.

btw....apply the tape from the top down so that if you had to, you could remove the lowest piece without disturbing the others.

Abso-frickin-lutely! Tried this on my already tinted Shoei full-face visor. 2 strips across the top and it works great. Has stood up to multiple washings, too (its lovebug season and I don't mean VWs). Twas a touch claustrophobic the first ride but after a few miles, no problem.

Thanks to whomever first recommended it.

RichEdwards

I too like the cheap electrical tape solution. I used to do it with a few strips:

958191979_vMkyX-L.jpg

Now I use one strip of two-inch wide electrical tape. One roll will do about 50 helmets.

Bill_Walker

The helmet sunblocker, or other tint, is a compromise. Sometimes I wish it were opaque, but sometimes during hard cornering I end up looking through it. If you don't move your body enough when cornering for that to be an issue, then by all means use something opaque.

I normally ride with my visor at least partially open, so I don't have the claustrophobic feeling mentioned above. The only time I ever fully close the visor is when I need the sun blocking effect of all 3 overlapping layers of electrical tape, like right at sunrise or sundown.

Talk about a life saver.

Literally!

when you remove the tape is the shield still ok?

Absolutely! It pulls off easily and whatever minor residue is left comes right off with a bit of WD40.

Now I'm talking only about the 3M 33 electrical tape. I have no info on the cheap offbrand variety.

when you remove the tape is the shield still ok?

Absolutely! It pulls off easily and whatever minor residue is left comes right off with a bit of WD40.

Now I'm talking only about the 3M 33 electrical tape. I have no info on the cheap offbrand variety.

+1......a quick wipe with a cloth and your favorite cleaner and you never knew the tape was there

Peter Parts

Do the math (or this case, the geometry). The visor in the picture below, with a certain resemblance to a water-borne barnyard fowl, may not be your concept of handsome headgear, but it sure does the job of providing sun blocking and eye relief like nothing else.

Changing your head angle a tiny bit cuts out or adds any amount of sky you want and will keep your eyes happy all day.

Ben

Footnote: a long visor like that actually helps a lot in communicating with other people around the road who can see your head movements because of the size and shape of the visor (like that quick peek over your shoulder before you change lanes).

5594.jpg.41d57bd4122519e58c8be09b5699e584.jpg

Archived