IGNORED

scala rider 4

dannys

I am considering a scala rider 4 to be used from bike to bike, I am one of the lucky ones that my wife also rides her own bike. we have used autocm but always had problems in windy situations not getting good reception. if any of you have used the scala rider for bike to bike communication I would love to get some info if it is good and clear in all situations. thank you

I have the scala Q2 multi set and used it twice on all day multi day rides for bike to bike communication. ALso use to with my passenger on regular in town runs.

If set up correctly it provides clear voice between bikes almost like the person is next to you.

Speakers are loud even with ear plugs.

1/4 mile + range.

At first i was frustrated with it, on hwy at high speed it stayed on all the time because the wind noise kept it activated other time it turned off on its on ( sleep mode)

The solution was simply: I had to read the instructions manual , it has different set up manipulated with combination button presses to keep the unit on all the time or activate it via button push ,much like a CB radio , or leave it on auto VOX.

correct microphone placement is crucial.

I like the scala , but lately the sena has lots of good reviews.

thank you for the info I also read reviews on the sena and wonder which of them has a longer range. scala claims 2 miles ??? i doubht, did you hear anything else

We like our Q2 multiset. As mentioned above, it is quite clear and loud enough to use with earplugs. So I suspect the G4 set it just as good, or better. I believe its range is a bit longer.

The Sena sets have been getting good reviews. You probably already know this, but there are lots of reviews and articles on www.webbikeworld.com

We may consider getting a G4 set because it is supposed to be able to allow simultaneous connections ("conferencing") between three or four units. Our son is now riding, and it would be nice to have a three-way conversation. The Q2s allow pairing with a third unit, but you can only talk to one other unit at a time. I don't think the Sena set can do this, or I would probably lean toward Sena instead because of the good reviews.

I had a Scala Team Rider (rider/passenger communication) and found it very dependable for GPS & cellphone use. The vox trigger for rider to passenger communication left something to be desired. None-the-less, communication (bluetooth) is GREAT! The 1st call I rec'd was soooo clear that the caller didn't know I was on my bike @70 mph. (fullface helmet)

Moving on, I considered Sena, Q2 and G4. Purchasing the latter, I had problems with noise, volume, dropped calls and radio reception. Scala had me return it to the factory and I've just rec'd my replacement. I'm assuming that all's well, but my point is that their customer service is top notch. The only thing the other mfr has that I wish Scala did was plug-in speakers so that I could substitute some of those speakers molded to my ears that would cancel road noise but not compromise sound. I have not found that speaker volume was adequate while using ear plugs.

Mrs. Caddis

Arizona Al was able to hook my molded earplugs up to the Q2. If you are interested, we found a web site explaining how to do it. You have to clip the wires but it is not that hard to do.

Arizona Al was able to hook my molded earplugs up to the Q2. If you are interested, we found a web site explaining how to do it. You have to clip the wires but it is not that hard to do.

I've done this on one of my Q2 headsets by clipping the speaker wires and solder to the wires of a 3.5 jack I got from Radio Shack. Covered connections with shrink tubing. Not very elegant. Does the website have a better solution?

----

I can't seem to find the same site that I found when Al was working on Eileen's earplugs, but it was just a description that someone posted describing which wires were which in the Q2 unit. The trick was knowing which wires were left, right, and ground. There were three wires coming from each of the speakers, instead of two, which was a point of confusion. It turned out that the third wire was not connected to anything. Al clipped off the speakers and wired in a pigtail so that the earplugs could be plugged in.

It sounds like you already did basically the same procedure. So there is no other more elegant method as far as I know.

I am considering a scala rider 4 to be used from bike to bike, I am one of the lucky ones that my wife also rides her own bike. we have used autocm but always had problems in windy situations not getting good reception. if any of you have used the scala rider for bike to bike communication I would love to get some info if it is good and clear in all situations. thank you
Love it for comm & music. (G4 unit) The radio is useless in the NE but maybe somewhere else it's okay but I have an MP3 app on my phone (BT connected to the Scala). Talking to my friend is crystal clear at all speeds & on the phone people don't know I'm riding (mic has to touch your lips). I wear a modular helmet.

Wish I could say the same. I just rec'd the replacement unit from Cardo and it too suffers from several problems. This time the radio seems to work (not a big plus) but I can not initiate calls from the headset without routing the phone through the GPS (TomTom). This feature did work with the original one. Spoken status announcements are not working now and GPS instructions seem to drop the first couple of words, like the "right turn in 2 miles". I'd say it was my phone but my old Cardo Team Set works flawlessly. If I had it to do over I wouldn't.

Archived