IGNORED

Rotating brake pads

jsmith

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but is there any reason I should not rotate my brake pads? For reasons that are not clear to me, the inside pads on my 06 RT wear about twice as fast as the outside pads. Since it only takes a minute to remove the pads to inspect them, I do this periodically. Is there any reason I shouldn't just swap the inside and outside pads to prolong the life?

Jim

The pads wear into the profile of the discs - if you rotate them they will initially have much less bite and wear faster until they match the profile of the new contact surface. If wear is very uneven, then the callipers need a service.

Andy

Dave_in_TX
the insides do wear faster

I had that problem on one side until the caliper was rebuilt. Now all four front pads seem to wear about the same.

I solved this problem by thoroughly cleaning, then lubricating the contact surfaces where the pads slide back and forth. I even used steel wool to polish off any rough surface texture. Didn't take long at all. This also prevents dragging of the brakes when not in use.

Jay

Guest Kakugo

Jim, that doesn't sound normal. I have just fitted the fourth set of front pads and each and every time wear was even on all four pads.

As other members suggested first try cleaning up the calipers.

If that doesn't work, it's rebuild time.

Morning Jim

No reason you can’t swap the pads around. If they have any raised wear areas that match grooves in the rotors be sure to sand those flat before swapping or they will be the main rotor contact areas until the pads wear in to the new location.

Just be real easy on the brakes for a while after pad swapping until the pads seat in to their new locations so you don’t glaze a pad or etch a rotor. If you aren’t careful for a while you can get some uneven pad transfer to the rotors and end up with brake judder or pulsating.

The pads will take some time to bed into their new locations as the rotors are worn smooth so they don’t have the machined surface of a new replacement rotor.

On the uneven wear you are seeing—Maybe push the caliper pistons all the way back in their bores then do a quick brake bleed. You might have a bit of air trapped behind some of the pistons causing the uneven pad wear. On 4 piston calipers- if all the pistons are free to move easily & no air in the calipers & the pads are not hanging up (sticking) in the caliper then it is usually a dirt problem causing uneven wear.

Lineareagle
Jim, that doesn't sound normal. I have just fitted the fourth set of front pads and each and every time wear was even on all four pads.

As other members suggested first try cleaning up the calipers.

If that doesn't work, it's rebuild time.

Agree, next to tires brakes are the most important item on a bike.

If I had uneven wear I would be looking for the cause not just flipping pads.

I have seen one side pads instantly disintegrate because they were taking all the heat from braking and believe me a locked wheel is no fun at all.

There is a lot of force and heat being dissipated in braking it isn't something I would play around with. As far as taking it easy while they reseat, I don't know where you ride but here you don't have to much of a chance given the cagers delight in cutting you off and doing the unexpected.

Archived