IGNORED

Anyone have a tire machine?

leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone

This past year or so I have been getting to the point more and more where I do most of my own work on the bikes. I am needing to put a couple sets of tires on a couple of bikes and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with them? Aim looking at a couple of no mar machines the jr and pro models. I'm just wondering if there is anything else out there that I should be looking in to as well?

Lee,

Nomar is a great product for anyone changing their own tires. Anything more $$$ would be complete overkill. And Nomar also makes a lower-priced unit called Cycle Hill--I have one and love it. I change approx. 8 tires per year and it was worth every penny. Has paid for itself in $$$ and in not having to depend on a dealer to scar my wheels for me while charging me $50 a pop to do so. Also, if you have a flat, unless you patch it yourself, you'll be buying a new tire every time. Would have been very costly for me. :thumbsup:

http://nomartirechanger.com/products/4

Have the NoMar Pro and Love it! There is a little bit of a learning curve to using it, but once you've changed a couple of sets, it's a really easy. It's paid for itself not only in time screwing with the dealer, making appointment, going to the dealer, wait time etc. but with also with the cost of tires, mail order vs. dealer. You can change tires when YOU WANT TO, not when the dealer can "get you in". Also, no scratched rims! Sometimes I'll change tires that have a little life left in them but not enough for a trip, I'll put on a new set for a trip, then when I home with I'll put on my old tires back on and finish them off on local stuff. With the cost of of someone else changing your tires, this is not a feasible option. If you're going to a rally such as the BMW MOA, NoMar is normally there and will have a "show special", not much, maybe free freight, but something.

Steve

Steve

Sustengo, I recently acquired (used) the same setup as yours only I think a NoMar lever as well as the Harbor Freight lever. Tire removal was straight forward/easy but I struggled with the last 1/4 of the tire installation and ended up using tire spoons to finish. I conclude from your comment "fantazmic" that I'm missing something on the install procedure. I did keep the opposite side of the tire pushed down into the centre portion of the rim. If I get this sorted out I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this unit or similar to the OP.

That's the trick, use good quality tire lube. I use my neighbor/riding bud's "ru-glude", he bought a gallon over ten years ago, we still got little less than half left.

put some lube on the lever/rim side as well as on the tire.

I use a "quick grip - quick grip - as a stopper so the tire does not rotate around.

As you said, push the tire down into the rim center groove all around as much as possible, keep pushing it down as you walk the tire on with your nomar lever.

The key to success with the HF tire changer is that it has to be secured to the floor. Before I had anchor bolts in a concrete pad I used "J" bolts and secured it to my wood deck.

The J bolts went through the gaps between the wood planks. Removed it when I was done./

RuGlide may be overkill, but I love it and 1 gallon of it lasts forever. Available at NAPA Autoparts.

After spending 20+ years only using tire irons, the HF changer works just fine. If you clamp the opposite side of the tire with "C_Clamps" and wood, you can easily spoon on the last 1/4 of the new tire onto the rim. The changer just makes holding the wheel so much easier. I also use a Mojo lever from Mitch.

wbrissette

+1 on the Cycle Hill unit. It makes changing tires super easy and with four bikes, I need it!

Wayne

Used the Harbor Freight adapter with rim protectors from someone on this board???? Built my own base which bolts to the floor when in use and can be parked in a corner on wheels when idle. I use the NoMar bar and lube.

DSC00010.jpg

I made my own bead breaker at the base of the fold down post.

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

This works well enough for me:

08-0007.jpg

I change four to eight tires per year on an R1150GS and a VFR800. Oh yeah, +1 on the RU Glide!

While tire irons work and has been tested, I had one bad experience in the past.

HOnestly I can't even recall if it was a street or dirt tire.

I busted the steel wire inside the tire where it seats against the rim. ones it was aired up it had a bulge where the steel wire broke the tire was out of round.

A second issue I recall one time I had removed a good chink or rubber material from the tire Also in the bead area.

Could have been just my bad technique.

Joe Frickin' Friday
While tire irons work and has been tested, I had one bad experience in the past.

Shawn and I helped change each other's tires with tire irons for several years (it was always a team effort). Never had a singular bad experience, but over the years, sliding plastic rim protectors on/off/around the rim during changes resulted in a network of fine scratches on the lateral faces of the rim lips. Fine for utility wheels, but for something one would like to keep pretty, tire irons/rim protectors are probably going to scratch it up over the course of several years.

Lone_RT_rider

Shawn and I helped change each other's tires with tire irons for several years (it was always a team effort). Never had a singular bad experience, but over the years, sliding plastic rim protectors on/off/around the rim during changes resulted in a network of fine scratches on the lateral faces of the rim lips. Fine for utility wheels, but for something one would like to keep pretty, tire irons/rim protectors are probably going to scratch it up over the course of several years.

Yeah, I was glad we had the good stuff once I got this in my garage. Once again.... your welcome David. :grin::rofl:

147181281_xdCm2-M.jpg

Archived