IGNORED

GS 911. which mobile??

WestyLancs

WestyLancs

Just taken the plunge and ordered a GS 911 with Bluetooth.

I now need to know what sort of mobile phone I can use it with if needed.

I have an old Nokia (non Bluetooth) which surprisingly runs the verifier software, but obviously isn't compatible. I also have an Alcatel OT 600 with BT that won't run the verifier at all !!!

Now I could buy lots of mobile phones to try and find one suitable, or I thought I could ask you guys which phones you use, and go from there.

I don't go a bundle on whizz bang all singing and dancing phones, so any phone I get will probably end up in my top box as a GS911 interface / emergency mobile, so the cheaper the better.

Any suggestions please on phones that do work?

Thanks in advance.

Ian

You don't have to use a cell phone, you can use a laptop with a usb cable. With that said, my new droid x works fine with the bluetooth gs911.

wbrissette

Be careful with the Android units. It's been pretty good, but there are several threads on the GS-911 yahoo group about Android units that won't accept the BT connection, which it seems is due to the BT chip used in the phone. Also, no iPhones.

Pretty much all of the older Nokia and Sony/Ericsson units work (one's using Symbian OS).

As mentioned, you don't need a mobile, but it's super handy on the road.

Wayne

WestyLancs

Thanks for the replies guys. I know the phone isn't essential, but nice to be able to use it 'out and about'. I picked up a BT dongle for our old laptop to avoid wire runs in the garage, being clumsy, so I'll use BT regardless. I'd looked at the Hexcode site and worked out that I need JSR-82 Java BT compatibility!!

Now I've found that my daughter's just upgraded, last week, from a Samsung Wave which seems to fit the bill, and has said I can have that, so all appears sorted. Just waiting for the postman now. :)

Ian

Archived