IGNORED

Electrifying the BMW R1200RT tank bag

Moto Mike G

Moto Mike G

Wife and I exchange gifts for our anniversary. She got a nice new helmet and I got the BMW tank bag for my 2009 R1200RT. I was using the Wolfman that I put electrics in using the removable 2 pin connector and such with the pass thru for the heated vest and such.

Now before I break out the scalpel knife and carve in some openings, I would like to know if any pone else has put electricity in the BMW tank bag, if so, would you care to share your info or pics of how and what you did.

I have mixed emotions about doing so due to the configuration of the bag's construction.

So... if you have information to share I would appreciate it.

Try this link. It's a pretty detailed description, with photos, of how I electrified my Big Mak tank bag to hold my Valentine One, Autocom and XM Radio.

Moto Mike G

Lawn Chair Boy, Please send pics.

I have done this before on a Wolfman bag I just want to borrow others ideas on the BMW bag. Thanks

Moto Mike G

Thanks for the info. I did the wolfman bag and did not have any real issues. Just that the BMW bag cost 3 x the wolfman bag. And I would prefer to see what other have done to the BMW bag before I go off half cocked on a $300.00 bag.

Nice job on yours with the wood and all.

Thanks

lawnchairboy

smugshot1372459-L.jpgsmugshot6997760-L.jpg

bought the rig from eastern beaver?? I think, can't remember. Just used a soldering iron to make a hole for the wire to pass through. Power into the bag from the front port side power outlet, inside the bag an SAE type connection connects to a double cigarette lighter type power outlet, power whatever you need. I just made a slit in the bag liner to pass the cord through. Never had any problem with leaking at all, although I think that is because of the position of where it sits behind the fairing, but I used to carry a boat load of electrics in there, autocom, kenwood, XM my fi, phone, etc etc etc and have ridden in frog strangling rain without any problems. I cut a small hole in the bottom of the map case (the top of the bag) and kept my V-1 remote display up there where I could see it and the antenna for the xm up there too. no problems. RKA I believe and a couple of others now offer preelectrified bags with clear hard plastic top covers.

also used soldering iron to make small holes for the securing screws...

Clever. I have countless electronic talismen, also. :grin: It would be nice to have them all right in front of you, and charging.

I did the same thing, except I made sure the inner liner was also under the plastic part of the passthrough. The inner line is the waterproof liner. You want to make sure that you only cut the holes you need in it and place the plastic plug round it.

I'll take pictures if you like...

Moto Mike G

That was the intel I was looking for. THANK YOU!.

I had my Wolfman bag set up same way except I had cord go under fairing and come from by the handlebars. Was a pain due to having to unplug when filling with gas. You addressed that with just plugging into the BMW outlet. Looks like enough slack to lift bag and fill tank.

I was thinking of coming up in front of seat and then having the plug end facing me but that might get in the way as the bag already crowds me a little bit when leaning into a turn and such.

What would be clever is if it were set up like a cordless phone charger. Automatically connects when bag gets lowered and locked in place. No cords to deal with all built in. I see a potential for a short circuit but with the correct connection maybe not???

BeemerLover

I used the same connector as Lawnchairboy did on the outside of my tank bag and plug it into the powerlet on the left hand side.

That SAE connector can be purchased for $5 on this website (scroll down about 2/3 of the way.) It is listed as an RV roof connector:

http://www.solarseller.com/low_voltage_dc_pumps__lvm__teel__accessories__plugs_and_extensions.htm

FWIW, I bolted a thin aluminum plate to the back of my tank bag (windscreen side) to which my GPS is velcroed. This works well as the GPS is closer and I can see it better but also when I need to go into a restaurant, all I need to do is to unplug the powerlet, unhook the tankbag and take it with me. Along comes my GPS and the other electronic things that are being powered or recharged inside my bag.

Archived