IGNORED

80 grams on rear tire

randy

I have been changing tires for about 6 years now. once I used 20 grams. most rims take 5 - 15 grams max. I just installed a diablo supersport on my R1200st rear rim. It took 80 grams to balance.

I am guessing the only thing I can do is unseat the tire and rotate it 180 degrees. I have never seen a rim/tire combo needing this much balancing.

shoot most times I do not even balance my tires. I just did it this time because this was my first tire change on this bike.

ok end of rant

That does seem like a lot. I also don't usually balance my tires......haven't been for over 50k miles. That being said, I think curiosity would make me pop the bead, spin it 180, and reseat it. Just to see what happens :grin:

Randy, I quit ballancing tires some time ago. I do spend a lot of time ballancing the wheel by itself one time. After that, the tires seems to never change much. I've checked a few times and it seems good every time. The whell, especially with TPM, needs weight to ballance.

aggieengineer

I'm a nut about using the minimum possible balance weight on wheels. I have the heavy spot marked on my wheels, and know exactly how much weight it takes to balance with no tire. I mount the tire, temporarily stick on the balance weight, and can then see where the heaviest spot is on the tire. I'll then rotate that spot to line up with the wheel balance weight (the light spot on the wheel).

I've only encountered one really bad tire, and that was a Korean-made Continental Road Attack.

Lone_RT_rider
That does seem like a lot. I also don't usually balance my tires......haven't been for over 50k miles.

THATS IT! That's why your splines went! Resonence vibration from the unbalanced tire transmitted through the drivetrain back into the splines causing metal fatigue and therefore FAILURE! :grin::dopeslap::rofl:

*he ducks*

/hijack

Randy, spin the wheel 180 degrees. This usually takes care of it. I had the same thing happen on the R1100S with an MEZ4 at the dealer in VA. I made them break the bead and turn it 180. After that it was fine. :)

russell_bynum
Randy, I quit ballancing tires some time ago. I do spend a lot of time ballancing the wheel by itself one time. After that, the tires seems to never change much. I've checked a few times and it seems good every time. The whell, especially with TPM, needs weight to ballance.

For what it's worth...I don't balance my moto wheels after mounting tires either.

I always assumed that the reason that worked for me is because the tires are pretty consistent, so you balance once and then you're good to go from then on.

That said....I mounted a Pilot Power on the rear of the Tuono prior to Torrey last month. After I got the tire on, I noticed that there were no weights on the rim. I found the sticky residue where the weight had been, but there were NO weights on there. I don't know how long it had been and how many miles I'd ridden with no weights. We took the bike to Torrey were Lisa and I both rode it. I had it up to...ummm....the speed limit, officer :grin: and had no problems at all.

It's strange because I know what my car feels like when I lose a wheel weight, but on the bike, I couldn't tell any difference one way or the other.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I had it up to...ummm....the speed limit, officer :grin: and had no problems at all.

Um yeah, the speed limit of the bike... :Cool:

It's strange because I know what my car feels like when I lose a wheel weight, but on the bike, I couldn't tell any difference one way or the other.

Car tires are quite a bit wider and so are subject to lateral imbalance as well as radial imbalance. Whereas a radial imbalance makes a wheel want to hop down the road, a lateral imbalance makes a wheel want to wobble (it wants to spin around an axis that's slightly different from what the wheel bearings are dictating), and that really shows up when those wheels are the steering wheels, where the wheels have a bit more freedom to wobble (and affect steering) than they do on the rear axle.

russell_bynum
I had it up to...ummm....the speed limit, officer :grin: and had no problems at all.

Car tires are quite a bit wider and so are subject to lateral imbalance as well as radial imbalance. Whereas a radial imbalance makes a wheel want to hop down the road, a lateral imbalance makes a wheel want to wobble (it wants to spin around an axis that's slightly different from what the wheel bearings are dictating), and that really shows up when those wheels are the steering wheels, where the wheels have a bit more freedom to wobble (and affect steering) than they do on the rear axle.

That makes sense.

So...if I'm not feeling issues with no wheel weights, is there any reason that I should take the time to properly balance the wheel?

That makes sense.

So...if I'm not feeling issues with no wheel weights, is there any reason that I should take the time to properly balance the wheel?

Low-amplitude oscillation wearing out your shocks much faster than they would otherwise.

Andy

Interesting subject. I mounted new PR3s last month. The last couple of sets of PR2s were damn near perfectly balanced when installed......(I balance the wheels without tires, then check 'em once the tires are on). This time, front was fine, but rear took over 3 oz. I found that a little unsettling, but all was smooth when I test road it.

A couple hundred miles later, I noticed that the back of the bike got rough when I broke 80 per.......And it got worse at higher speeds. I checked the tire/wheel for run out in both planes, all was good. After putting up with it for a tankful, I thought back to the unusual amount of weight needed to balance it in the first place.......And I pulled them off. Smooth!

My working theory is that the tire had cured unevenly, and when it got fully "Cooked" in the first couple hundred miles, it was in balance without the weights.

basically to all posters I use a similar process. I first clean and balance a rim without a tire. then I mount the tire (first time) and check the balancing. For past 6 years never a problem.

but anyway, it was easy to break the bead and rotate the tire. It went down to 40 grams. Still the most I have ever used. I have not ridden the bike yet. I put these tires on for track day back up, put the bike on the trailer and never needed it. going to ride the bike into work rest of this week. Will be interesting to see what it feels like.

As one poster noted above, I may take it off after a week of riding and check it.

Archived