IGNORED

Replace stock powerlet on 2011 R1200RT??

AdirondackJack

AdirondackJack

Just wanted to check to see whether it's still necessary to completely replace and re-wire directly to the battery the stock powerlet BMW receptacles (front and rear) on the new RT due to canbus/underpower issues if you are not using BMW-brand heated gear? Had to do this on my '08, but not sure if the 2011's need it too, or whether BMW finally got smart and beefed up the power capability of their receptacles to run aftermarket stuff like warm-n-safe/Gerbings gear etc.?

Thanks,

Dave R.

Afternoon Dave

The 2010 were still at 10 amps & I have no reason to believe BMW would change them for 2011.

Just look in the technical section of you riders manual (around page 153) they should list the capacity of the electrical rating of the onboard sockets.

BeemerLover

FWIW, I added a fuseblock and a 15 amp powerlet on the right side in about the same place on the fairing as the one on the left. Gives me two sources so that I never overload either one. Left hand powerlet powers my tankbag and heated gloves, the right side my heated jacket.

Gael

AdirondackJack

Gael-

Thanks for the input. Still, I would think you would have to be careful not to plug your heated jacket into the OEM plug on the left side as I understand that aftermarket heated gear can tend to overload the canbus and create problems. Your thoughts?

If you try to draw too much power, it de-powers the outlet like a circuit breaker tripping. It resets when you cycle the ignition.

BeemerLover

GRB is right, all that will happen is that the canbus will turn the circuit off. No worries.

For me it is not a problem as I have an electrified tank bag that is always hooked to the left hand powerlet so when I plug my jacket in the only place available is on the right hand side. I power my heated gloves from inside the tank bag (along with my GPS, etc.)

Works for me.....

I took delivery of my 2011 RT Friday. Thank you, thank you - please, I'm getting embarrassed! ;)

The manual (0.42010, 2nd edition, for those keeping score at home) says 10 amps. The canbus thing was confirmed by Ron, the parts guy at OKC BMW. I was talking about hooking up my GPS, and he said it would be OK if it's only a few milliamps. If the 10 amps is just shared between the front and rear outlets (and not the built-in electronics), 10 amps is a fair amount unless you ARE talking heated gear, Cuisinarts... In fact, it's 10,000 milliamps. :grin:

Morning Jud

The Can-Bus (Controller_Area_Network) has nothing to do with those 10 amp outlets shutting down. The outlets are directly controlled by electronic circuit breakers inside the ZFE module itself & the outlets are powered from the ZFE module so no reason for the ZFE to send any info over the Can-Bus to other modules that the thing has shutdown.

The “C_A_N” information system gets blamed for about everything on these new bikes but in a lot of cases (like these power outlets) it has nothing to do with the problem.

Blaming the BMW Can-Bus (actually C_A_N) system for power outlet shutdown is like blaming your home phone for your home furnace shutting down. The phone is the info reporting system when you have a furnace failure but has nothing to do with the actual failure or shutdown.

Archived