IGNORED

Dunlops....Good

RPG

Finally replaced the rear Dunlop RoadSmart on my '04 RT. Very satisfied with the performance. 12,100 miles, no noise issues, 2 Track Days, numerous long distance runs in the rain. Stuck like glue no matter how hard I pushed.

RPG

5626.jpg.6f982b5922a29f12015655ae9f24afcd.jpg

RPG,

Thanks for the info. I've always used Pilot Roads I and II, but was thinking about the Dunlops. Now I'm sure they will be my next tire as I've not been real happy with the PR's.

Al, I always had noise issues with the previous Michelin's I ran. After 100 miles or so, leaning the bike off center would reveal it. I'm guessing it was caused by a weird wear pattern and it got worse over time.

The RoadSmart's neverr did that throughout thieir life.

The only real surprise with the Dunlop's was that the front RS only lasted about 8k as I found out that only the rear has dual compound. It sort of says it in their advertising. First time I've ever worn out a front before a rear on a bike.

RPG

RPG, yes, the Pilot Roads are very noisy. I keep thinking I'm having a wheel bearing go out. Plus, they're worn after only about 8,000 miles. Where did you buy your Dunlops? -Al

I've been running road smarts, and the fronts do wear out faster. I've been to a couple of tech days to mount them with non motorized tire mounting machines, and I've got to tell ya, the folks who mounted them were not happy. Lots of cussing and "I won't do one of these again".

Full Speed

I'm getting ready to replace my RoadSmarts. I just bought my bike, the previous owner put them on last year and put about 5000 miles on them, and they look just like RPG's worn tire in his attached photo; flat in the center. That's a big mileage disparity from what RPG described, though the previous owner of my bike told me that he did a long ride last summer through Yellowstone and the SW. Mostly freeway, and mostly 100+ degree temps, which is probably why they wore out a little early. I decided to give the PR2's a try, found a decent buy through jakewillson.com.

I can't get nearly that mileage out of RoadSmarts. Usually 6-7k for mine. I'm still am really happy with their performance, and they are MUCH quieter than the PR2s.

I am on my second set of Roadsmarts, on the first set, got ~9K out of the front and ~14K out of the rear.

That works for me.

I've been running PR2's for the last three years with no noise problems. I can get 11,000 miles from a rear tire and 13,000 from the front (and I don't ride straight up).

Archived