IGNORED

tinted face shield

donbmw

now that is a heck of an idea. read the info and suggest not getting the electronics wet. Not sure how that would work in the rain.

If I could have my wish list the color would be grey and the price would be about $60. Integrated in the original shield would be way cool.

Thanks for the link!

Very cool idea, but from what I saw in the videos, the tint does not appear dark enough to suit me.

I'll contact them and find out if darker tint is available.

I suppose they might be limited by DOT regulation as to the max tint.

Wouldn't it be GREAT if instead of just on /off, the tint was variable from almost clear to darker than the videos show. Everyone's eye sensitivity is different so that'd be nice.

Guest Kakugo

Very interesting gadget but I wonder how long it will last in normal road conditions (downpour, heat etc).

At that point why not getting glasses with self tinting lenses? My brother has a pair with Transition lenses and according to him it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of prescription sunglasses using Rodenstock ColorMatic lenses since I am a huge fan of yellow/orange shields which, sadly, only Shoei sells nowadays.

I bought some transitional glasses a few years ago but found that they did not work behind my visor. It seems that they rely on UV to change shade and the lexan visor is a very good UV filter.

Andy

At that time it would have been either a HJC or a BMW (Schuberth) fitted with a UK approved 'scratch-resistant' visor.

Andy

I agree about the Transition type glasses not working behind many but not necessarily all faceshields.

If the faceshield has UV filtering on it, your Transitions will NOT change tint since the "transition" is wholly dependent on the UV to initiate the change.

Another problem with even the latest Transitions, is that they are WAY to slow to react.

I suppose they might be limited by DOT regulation as to the max tint.

That's a reasonable supposition. I have a dark smoke shield on my Nolan N103. The flip up sun shade, which I find nearly useless with a clear shield, is a great addition here. I'm guessing that each transmits about 20% of visible light; therefore, when combined, (if my math logic is correct), about 4% (0.2*0.2) of visible light should be transmitted when I have the sunshield down. It makes riding into a rising or setting sun much less of a challenge. And, when I have to ride from bright sunlight into the darkness of a tunnel, my eyes have less adjustment to make when I flip up the shield.

I agree about the Transition type glasses not working behind many but not necessarily all faceshields.

If the faceshield has UV filtering on it, your Transitions will NOT change tint since the "transition" is wholly dependent on the UV to initiate the change.

Another problem with even the latest Transitions, is that they are WAY to slow to react.

My new trasitions are super fast and get very dark.

Had many versions of them for years and these are the best.

I still have some from years ago that have been inside for years and if I take them out they still work.

YMMV

pedro cerveza

I have a transitions visor on my Akuma helmet. It is da bomb. In Florida you really want a tinted visor to hep keep the heat down inside the helmet. I used to commute 60 miles each way to work. IN the AM I had the tinted visor in and at night I had to change to a clear visor. The transitions does not get as dark as the deep tinted visor but it's close. It's great not to have to carry two visors and have to swap them out every day.

I spoke with Roy @ AlphaMicron and he said that it can get wet just not submerged/dunked. The automatic version is more waterproofed than the manual version. They are also developing a different "cut" for the Arai helmets because of the brow vents.

Archived