IGNORED

If you had a Garmin 2610 and a 376c.......

OoPEZoO

Which one would you keep and why?

The 2610 has 2008 maps on it and has been flawless. Its the only motorcycle GPS I have ever used. I know how to use it well, but I have nothing else to compare it to

The 276c has 2010 maps on it, and I have never used one. I don't really know much about them other than I know they require uber expensive Garmin proprietary memory cars.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Any chance I can use the 2010 mapping disk from the 276c to update the maps on my 2610 as well? I got thrown a curve ball here, and I'm scratching my head.

276C and 376C are far far superior than the 2610. They are a little more complex to use but worth it. The display is much higher resolution and can be seen in direct sunlight. Many more routes and waypoints and also does tracks. The 376C also has XM interface.

I believe the 376 can only get map updates via Garmin map cards - no download from the Internet & load from your PC.

BeemerLover

Keith, the 276 and 376 series Garmins are great but here is an alternative suggestion. May not be your cup of tea but FWIW..

Go to Techbargins.com and click on the GPS tab under Top Deals By Product Category. You will find a bunch of Garmin Nuvi's at rediculously low prices, some with free lifetime map updates.

I know, I know, the Nuvi is not waterproof. I bought a refurbished one years ago and have had absolutely no problems. My RT blows water around me and if it looks like I'm about to get into a gully washer I either take it off when I put rain gear on or stop and simply put a quart sized ziplock baggie over it.

I believe the 376 can only get map updates via Garmin map cards - no download from the Internet & load from your PC.

Wrong.

The 376c (and likely the 276c also) can get online lifetime map updates. One just downloads the maps to the computer.

From the computer one picks what maps to load to the 276c/376c.

The 276c/376c both use Garmin's proprietary memory stick, and map storage in the device is limited to the capacity of that stick. 512MB is good for about half the continental USA and Canada.

The 376c is a great unit, especially if XM weather is important to you.

Although the weather subscriptions are more costly on a 376c (vs. a Zumo supporting NavWeather) the detail and usefulness is much better.

(I currently own a Zumo 665, 376c, and GPSMap 276c.)

Typo......its a 276c, not a 376c. I had it right in the body, but wrong in the subject line :dopeslap:

So what do you do with a 276c when you go cross country? Take two preloaded 512mb cards......one with half the states, and one with the other half? Just load the states you plan to travel through? Or something else?

That was kind of my hangup when I started reading about it. Everyone seems to love the 276c/376c models, but I already have the whole USA on a single generic (cheap) memory card in my 2610.

I only want/plan to use one GPS. I don't want to for instance.......use the 276c for local riding and then swap over to the 2610 for longer rides.

I'm probably way over thinking it, as it sounds like the 276c is a much more capable unit for 99.9% of any riding I would do. I also don't know what memory card is in the GPS yet, but is the 276c worth spending an extra ~$225 on 2 512mb memory cards to replace a 2610 that is already loaded with the whole USA?

Keith, the 276 and 376 series Garmins are great but here is an alternative suggestion. May not be your cup of tea but FWIW..

Go to Techbargins.com and click on the GPS tab under Top Deals By Product Category. You will find a bunch of Garmin Nuvi's at rediculously low prices, some with free lifetime map updates.

I know, I know, the Nuvi is not waterproof. I bought a refurbished one years ago and have had absolutely no problems. My RT blows water around me and if it looks like I'm about to get into a gully washer I either take it off when I put rain gear on or stop and simply put a quart sized ziplock baggie over it.

not a chance. I'd have a Nuvi destroyed by the end of my first trip. I don't do ziplock baggies or raingear......stuff that can't survive 12 hours in a heavy downpour doesn't get put on the bike.

Plus, the Nuvi's do not allow you to use mapsource and preplan routes. Whats the point of using a GPS on a motorcycle if you can't plan your own route in advance? The only time I use the generic "fasted route" is when its time to go home, and I need to get there ASAP.

I've had a 276C since 2005. I've got a 512MB and a 256MB data card. I've been cross-continent with it numerous times. I plan my routes in advance at home on my PC. I have at least one route per day, and sometimes alternates as well. I also have "local routes" for day-rides at some destinations. The longest trip was just over five weeks. Aside from having the routes on the GPS, I copy them to a netbook which I bring on the bike (with Mapsource too, of course). As for a mapset, which is your key question, I join all my routes together into one at home (using two copies of Mapsource open at the same time) and then use the option to select maps around the route. After that, I continue to select additional map segments in Mapsource until I'm near the 512MB limit on the larger data card. Then I load that mapset onto my 512MB card. In selecting the additional map segments to fill up your data card, you have to judge where you think you might head outside of your planned riding area. For example, if my trip is taking me across the Plains, I know with almost 100% certainty that I will not be roaming around Kansas, or Nebraska, other than doing a straight shot across the state. I also bring my spare 256MB card with me. With a netbook and Mapsource, you can always load additional map segments onto a data card in a motel while on the road, though I've never really had to do that. Admittedly, I'm a bit anal about planning my routes in advance and having the appropriate detailed mapset already loaded on a data card. It has worked for me. I'd love to have all of North America loaded on the GPS, but every time I look at newer GPSs, and compare them to my 276C, they leave me wanting (particularly the display). That said, the soon-to-be-released Garmin Montana series shows some promise as a potential x76 series replacement (it does not, however, have features like Bluetooth etc. It's strictly a navigator, though two units in the Montana series have 5MB auto-focus cameras).

Excellent Mark.....thank you for the response. It is kind of funny how I have the whole USA (including Alaska) loaded into my 2610, but I haven't been West of the Mississippi since 2005.

I also spent quite a bit of time working on my routes when I go places. On a typical trip like one of the BRR's, I will spend an evening or two in front of the computer figuring out exactly how I want to get there. Toss in a few detours, some maybe's, and then save a backup "Get me there ASAP" escape route incase the weather goes to hell. I just never had to do the extra step of selecting the surrounding maps. Sounds like the 276c is worth the extra step

With the new 2010 NT version I saw a improvement in the compression, and therefore, more states in memory. I have traveled across the country with the 276c and I loaded the maps within the area that I'm going to travel. Generally speaking, if you are going to many states you probably will have your laptop with you and can add or subtract different state maps. With some planning it's not a big deal. If a state is not loaded you still have high level maps, so the screen does show your location. It is easy to reload a different map set.

I suspect that you have found a used one so here's an internal battery change procedure. battery

I do have 3 GPS's and really like the 276 for the bike.

As already mentioned above, with the 276c (or a 376c) when planning a cross country trip with MapSource, just select the maps around the planned route, and supplement as capacity allows.

With a single 512MB stick, I have had no problem going coast to coast and back with widely different routes (totally different maps) each way.

Also as noted above, the map compression seems to be improving with the newest releases.

markgoodrich

Do you carry a laptop? If so, you'll have all your maps with you. You can load maps as you travel across the country.

Uh, don't you need a motorcycle, though?????

Picking up the new scoot this weekend. It has a 276c already mounted on it, but I already have a 2610 that I have been using for years on my RT. Now you see why I started the thread :grin:

I have been meaning to pick up a netbook to use strictly on bike trips, but so far I have always been able to get by with what I loaded ahead of time and using my iPhone for any internet I have needed. If I planned a long multiweek trip I would probably get one, but I don't see the need for one on the trips I have been taking that are a week or less.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I have a 276c and use it extensively for adventure rides and stuff, and more as a data-minder for the on-road.

You'll notice that everyone who posted so far makes note about how they create routes on their computer and then upload them into the 276? That's because the button operated 276 is absolutely horrible for on-the-fly changes, searches, detours, and planning. Everything is multiple steps, multiple buttons, multiple menus... you get it. Even in it's heyday, the 2610 was far easier to use once it's mounted to the motorcycle.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 276c is the best GPS ever made, but that's because of it's navigational qualities, the map capabilities and the screen. Just be ready to pull over (for a while) and push a lot of buttons to find the next gas station.

Sell the 276c.It will bring almost as much as you can purchase a Zumo 450/550 for,which is more user friendly unit.

...and if you should decide to sell the 276 at a really good discounted price...I got dibs... :rofl:

+ 1 for the 276C. Been using it for years with no problem. Even done the batteryectomy.

Cheers,

Used the 276c on the way home from picking up up my new scoot today. Wasn't real impressed. It was a royal PITA to try and figure out on the road.

Then I got home, pulled it off the bike, popped the top on a beer, and started to fiddle with it. OK, I officially like it and I think it it will easily replace my 2610. The only downside appears to be the memory card situation. This one came with a 128mb card, which was barely enough to plan a short trip 2 states away. Looks like I will be forking out some cash for the uber expensive 512mb card in the near future. Other than that, it looks like a really solid unit.

So what do you do with a 276c when you go cross country? Take two preloaded 512mb cards......one with half the states, and one with the other half? Just load the states you plan to travel through?

Afternoon Keith,

That's what I do. I have the western USA on one card and the eastern on another. I haven't had the situation arise wherein my ending destination is on the other card. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. (if it's on the right card)

Archived