IGNORED

Question about Draggin Jeans

lvmyks

Was thinking of purchasing a pair of Draggin Jeans. If you have a pair of these Jeans let me know if you like them or not?

A: comfort

B: sizing

C: washable

D: feel protected with them on

I have had a pair for a few years and like them a lot. They are comfortable, sized right (not tight). I think mine are relaxed fit. Are a little warm on a hot day because of the kevlar linning but fine if your moving on your bike. As far as the protection they offer, I (thank god!) haven't had to test them. My feeling is that they would be better that regular jeans but no way as good as real riding gear. Are also American made and excellent quality. Have been machine washed numerous times and are holding up great.

I liked my Draggin Jeans and think that in the one accident I've had in the last 10 years, they would have made the difference between no road rash and minor road rash on the knee when the knee momentarily contacted the pavement. The rest of the incident was me flying through the air and landing on my jacketed shoulder, helmet and glove. I was wearing standard jeans that day...

That said, virtually all my riding today involves freeway speeds and I now wear a Cycleport Ultra II Kevlar suit.

RockBottom

Let me second what Beagler said. I've found that the "relaxed" ones fit about like Levis in the same size, but the normal ones are a big tight in my regular size.

Given that they are more protection than regular jeans but less than other types of specializing motorcycling pants, I normally wear them when the weather is mid 80s or higher since I find even mesh pants too hot under those conditions.

Have been using the blue denim for years in hot weather. In fact, my first pair wore out and I have my second pair now.

The first pair was reasonably comfortable and the sizing was correct. My second pair is the relaxed fit and is more comfortable than the first pair. The sizing is also correct.

No problem with washability. However, they come out of the dryer a bit wrinkled due to the difference between the kevlar and the denim. The wrinkles mostly disappear after a few minutes of wearing them.

I do feel protected with them, but not as protected as with my leather pants or my First Gear overpants. Both of those are too hot in the hot weather. They definitely provide more protection than regular jeans.

I also have a pair of the black denim Draggin' Jeans from my Harley days. The fit of the black ones are smaller than the blue. I do not remember if they were tighter than the blue ones when they were brand new, but after a few washings they are definitely tighter. It seems that many black fabrics tend to have less stretch and shrink more than other colors due to the dyeing process to get the black color. If you buy black ones, I recommend a size larger.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Have been wearing DJ's since 2000. Started with just the jeans, then after a couple of years added knee armor, and then hip armor. Adding hip armor requires buying them with a waist size two inches larger than your usual size. I eventually figured out that the knee armor is better accomodated if you buy the jeans a couple of inches longer than your usual size, too.

The original armor I bought was Knox, although they seem to have since specialized in motocross armor. I'm still using their hip armor, but for the knees I've switched to BMW's "Next Generation" viscoelastic armor:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=4860&filename=np-protectors.jpg

The knee armor is the bottom two pieces in that photo. In addition to good frontal protection, it wraps around the lateral sides of your knees (not quite so much on the medial sides), providing good impact protection should the side of your knee contact any hard object. The trick to getting them to stay put in the jeans is Velcro, which hangs onto the Kevlar material quite nicely; I just had to attach it to the armor in 2" segments using automotive emblem cement.

Have never personally crash-tested them, but the samples I've seen that were subjected to controlled testing (and actual user crashes) seem pretty tough.

Glenn Reed

Mitch,

Where did you source the BMW armor? When I just purchased the Summer Pants, it came to my attention that my Olympia mesh pants have foam instead of armor at the hips, so I was thinking of replacing it with something more substantial.

Draggin Jeans are made locally here. I've had six pair of Draggin Jeans of different types since 2002.

In 2005 I crashed at 100km/hr (60ml/hr) and had only a small hole in the knee. They are incredible in their wear resistance. They will never give the same impact or bruise protection of leathers with good armor but on the hottest of days they make riding much more comfortable.

I find that the fabric frays easily if they are worn daily. The denim is very soft. They give great warmth on cold days compared with regular jeans.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch, how to you secure the armor?

The kevlar material lining the knees and seat of the jeans has a kind of terrycloth texture to it. The "hook" half of a piece of Velcro will cling to it quite nicely. I stuck sticky-backed Velcro to the hip armor; the Kevlar in the seat of the jeans wraps around to your hips, providing a surface for this Velcro to hang on to. The knee armor is longer and flexes more, so I attached several separate pieces to the armor with more tenacious adhesive. You have to work your toes and feet past the knee armor when you're initially putting the jeans on, but once you're wearing them, the Velcro keeps the armor in place very nicely.

The Velcro lets you take the armor out so you can wash the jeans.

Nice n Easy Rider

I've had mine for 3+ years now. I only use them for commuting to/from work (about 9 miles). On a regular ride I use regular riding gear. I got the ones made in Australia which only have one pocket on the back (I prefer two) and I also found the pockets on the front weren't as deep as I'd like (things would fall out while sitting). They seem to hold up well on washing for the most part. I did have one pair fray on the front pocket where it had apparently been rubbing against something.

Recently I've gotten Sliders from Competition Accessories

http://www.compacc.com/Apparel-Mens-Street

and I've been very happy with them. Two pockets on back and deeper pockets. Also, the cuffs on the legs seem to be cut a little wider so they don't tend to catch and bunch up on my boots. I'm very happy with the Sliders and will probably stay with these. Good pricing as well.

RockBottom

I also have some of the Sliders--their cargo pants. One distinction is that they are imported rather than US made. And I find that the cargo pants hold wrinkles much worse than jeans.

I've had a pair of Draggin Jeans for several years and, other than them shrinking a little every winter, they have been good. To get some extra knee protection, I opened the top seam of the knee patches half-way across each and inserted a pair of Aerostich TF foam knee pads that I had. The pads without the hard armor attached, though those may work, too. The Aerostich pads fit perfectly. My knees look a little big when I stand up but I'm not going for a fashion statement anyway. I'll let you know how they work if I ever have to 'test' them.

pete

I have a pair of the sliders as well. They were about the only jeans that were available in a short enough leg, with very adjustable pads. I was actually able to use them as knee protection instead of shin and ankle protection. They are very large for the size. Normally a 40 inch waist. The 36's are still a bit too large.

I have Draggin Jeans and have found the normal fit to be about one size too small. They are a good alternative to leather or textile pants, especially in warmer weather.

I also have the Diamond Gusset Defender jeans. These fit true to size. I actually prefer them to the Draggin Jeans. The gusset gadget gives me more room in the crotch area.

I have been concerned about the lack of armor, so I bought some Bohn armored pants. I tried them under the Draggin Jeans and the Defender jeans and found these to work well. I think I will wear this combination to the BMWMOA Rally to simplify my packing. Textile pants with armor don't fit into my side cases with all the other clothes I need for six days of riding, plus shaving gear, medicines, exercise clothes, etc.

Bill

Textile pants with armor don't fit into my side cases with all the other clothes I need...

Why do you need packing space for Textile pants with armor if you will be wearing them while riding?

About 7 years of DJ here.

Knee/shin armor works as Mitch describes.

I have 2 pair denim and 2 pair of black.

The black does well for work.

I find them a bit warm and in the summer wear mesh.

Rarely take them on trip as we are packing for 2 and I ride in textile/mesh and then pack microfiber convertible pants.

Best wishes.

Archived